2018 Gold Wing v. VFR

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

It's Honda's new corporate face. You can see it in the CBR1000, too.

Yeah definitely, I just added a pic of the new Fireblade's nose to the pics above so we can compare all three.  The fact that Honda is using a nose so similar to the VFR on the all new Wing and Fireblade should help ensure our VFRs don't look too dated any time soon.  In fact, there was a dude asking me about my bike at the bikini wash (I think you can hear him in the vid I posted) and he was very surprised it was a '14, he thought it was a brand new model that had just come out :tongue:

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, mello dude said:

Can you say - "Distracted Driver?" 

I wasn't talking about the huge dashboard! :computer-noworky:

• Member Contributer

Looks to me a significant upgrade.  So I see improved handling with the new model among other gizmo and comfort updates.

I have never found the GL1800 much of a handicap even in the tight stuff.  Indeed I regularly look for the twisties on tour whether I am on the VFR or the Wing.  While I have upgraded the suspension on my 5th gen the Wing is still stock. The only handling arena I get upset with are high speed sweepers where sometimes my GL Carrier seems to wallow in the trough a bit. And all my pegs are gone!  I suspect the new front end suspension will tighten things up a bit but we shall see.

There are two areas where some would argue the new Wing is a step backwards.  Fuel capacity is now VFR like at 5.5 gallons although Honda claims a 20% improvement in mileage...so range would be comparable I suppose.  There is also a significant reduction in luggage volume.  This would impose some packing discipline at least for me.

When I was looking for a bigger Sport Touring bike I ended up with a Wing after I actually rode one.  I never looked back and think the new Wing would add more sport to the equation just as the original 1800 was a huge jump in performance over the GL1500.  

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, BonusVFR said:

There are two areas where some would argue the new Wing is a step backwards.  Fuel capacity is now VFR like at 5.5 gallons although Honda claims a 20% improvement in mileage...so range would be comparable I suppose.

Yeah when I saw that 5.5 number in the new specs I thought it must be a misprint - I always assumed the Gold Wings had gargantuan fuel tanks.  Strange that Honda would give the 8th gen a bigger tank than the new Gold Wing.  Honda lists the 8th gen as having a 5.2 gallon tank on their USA website but the Owner's Manual says it has a 5.6 gallon tank so presumably it's slightly bigger than the new Gold Wing's tank.

For everyone that mocks the 7th gen for having small luggage, the Wing is now not much better.  With the 45L top case the 1200 comes in at 103L, the Wing at 110L.

Showed the wife the new Wing, and she wants to upgrade.  I said we are not that old yet.  Haha.

Great looking bike and I love the move to the four valve head.   I like the new base model goldwing without the top trunk.    I would add a centerstand and backrest and call it a day.      Never had a luxury touring bike,  might have to check them out a little closer.

2018_GoldWing_370x246_CandyArdentRed_FFF.jpg

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Yeah when I saw that 5.5 number in the new specs I thought it must be a misprint - I always assumed the Gold Wings had gargantuan fuel tanks.  Strange that Honda would give the 8th gen a bigger tank than the new Gold Wing.  Honda lists the 8th gen as having a 5.2 gallon tank on their USA website but the Owner's Manual says it has a 5.6 gallon tank so presumably it's slightly bigger than the new Gold Wing's tank.

I think the 5th gen is 5.55 and I have pushed it to over 250 miles twice.  Out West the range comes in handy.  On my last long tour this summer we had to stop twice in a panic for a buddy on a Triumph 1200 with a 5.3 tank when he was in extremis. The stations of course were charging confiscatory prices as we were in one pump boonies!  I was on my Wing and passed up both spots as I had extra range and was getting equivalent or better mpg with my Wing plus I had a lot more gas.

Ah. You have to take into account that US gallons are about 1/2 a litre SMALLER than European gallons. So you really have to look at the litres value to get a real read on it as Litres are the same all over the world.

• Member Contributer

Several years ago, I was at my Honda dealer and joked with the owner about "almost being old enough for a 'Wing". The last one I rode was an early 90's model and it felt piggish compared to my VFR. My friend at the Honda dealer told me they'd just delivered a batch of new ones to a local rental company and suggested I take one for a weekend to see how it rode. What an eye-opener! It feels truly huge when you first put a leg over, but once its moving, it is a wonderful machine with power, brakes and handling to match. I'll bet this new one is a great ride.

• Member Contributer
On 10/28/2017 at 5:04 PM, GatorGreg said:

Holy crap this new couch on wheels looks nice - it makes my VFR look like a folding chair in comparison! :tongue:

We want you to buy one so you can do more vids, post them and give it reviews.  That might save (or cost) some of us a lot of money.  You'd be willing to do that, no?

Sounds like Honda does some good innovative thinking for this bike.  Maybe because the make money with it.  Maybe they would make more money from VFR's if they did the same.....

• Member Contributer

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the new Wings with the chrome blacked out, trying to decide between the grey and red... Which one you guys like better?

18_MKCA_CandyArdentRed_DCT_1470x812_zpsh

2018-Honda-Gold-Wing-15_zpsb8nqlaid.jpg

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VifferJ said:

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the new Wings with the chrome blacked out, trying to decide between the grey and red... Which one you guys like better?

2018-Honda-Gold-Wing-15_zpsb8nqlaid.jpg

I am all about the dark silver -- long haul battleship. I still wish there was one without half the electronic stuff, would  want only cruise and NAV. Screw a radio and other junk.... 

Much as I can't stand him, I think I'm going Floyd Mayweather on any MC collection expansions - all white.

I'd look at them in person, colors look very different in person. Even in sunlight if possible. I'm in the minority here, though. I like that dark red. Black and grey are overdone these days anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Whoever produced that commercial deserves a raise. Have never ridden one myself but off the top of my head they weigh to much. Don't mean to offend anyone but was at a dealer last week and they had this Indian full dresser when it was up the first thing I thought was it would be like driving or riding a 1,000 pound turd!

• Member Contributer

Part of the full, as in unlimited capacity motorcycle test in Japan used to be to upright a full dress police Gold Wing, the only guy I knew who passed it was a 6'4" Ozzie commercial diver and he struggled, the examiner told he was the first in Nagasaki to do it

• Member Contributer

I’d sure like to ride a new one. I just wish they’d go back to the selling protocol they used for the early 1800’s where the buyer selected their options and the dealer installed them. Everything was plug-and-play and allowed for one to get exactly what they wanted. The base price made the bike much more affordable and attainable. 

I saw where Traxxion Dynamics have one in their shop. Should be an equally transformed bike as the previous model. 

E8D00A05-117A-4962-AC5E-6959086A64E6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Local dealer had a preview/test drive day pre Daytona Bike week. Buffalo Soldiers MC club provided Delicious BBQ and entertainment. As for the test drive WOW! Last time I was on a Wing was about 30 years ago. They were 1100cc 4 cylinders then. Technology on this thing was over the top compared to my 97 VFR750f. Salesman took about 10 minuets to explain the basic functions to me. Even then When I reached the 1st corner I could not find the turn signal switch also the grip heaters were on and roasting my hands could not find the off switch for those either. A lot of adjustments and settings are done through the display screen including suspension. Some things could not be accessed once the bike was moving.  Low speed maneuverability not to bad, wide bars and low center of gravity helps a lot. Seat height is lower than my bike also. I'm 5'7" and had no problem touching the ground. No clutch lever is hard to get use to. Push the drive button turn the gas and away you go. Four drive modes Tour, sport, rain and economy. Default is Tour, salesman suggested to start in tour and switch to sport to get the feel of the difference. Tour felt restrained not responsive after a couple of corners I switched to sport mode made a major difference but not what I would have expected from an 1800cc engine. DCT transmission was very active in sport mode a lot of shifts that seemed unnecessary although they were smooth. Over all not the bike for me. Seemed to take away from the immersion in the motorcycle experience. Felt more like driving a car, turn the gas and go hit the brakes and stop bluetooth phone, radio CB etc. Not a lot more going on between. I'll keep my 750 for now and wait on the next big thing. Sorry about the crappy pictures must of had a finger print on the lens.

20180303_133711.jpg

20180303_133720.jpg

20180303_133733.jpg

• Member Contributer

I would like to ride the new one.  But I also have my eye on the 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport.  I hate to give up the Wing though as it is really a fine motorcycle.

Archived