Do you wheelie your viffer?

bighawk

so I've been riding with TCS off lately as the weather here has picked up and I've realized exactly how intrusive it is.

also tried to take off from a stoplight yesterday and that front wheel came right up.

I'm convinced that the TCS does control wheelies whether that's incidental or part of its function.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, armod said:

so I've been riding with TCS off lately as the weather here has picked up and I've realized exactly how intrusive it is.

also tried to take off from a stoplight yesterday and that front wheel came right up.

I'm convinced that the TCS does control wheelies whether that's incidental or part of its function.

Are you clutching it up or powering it up?   I still havent had time to get out there and try it out. 

Are you clutching it up or powering it up?   I still havent had time to get out there and try it out. 
RPM @ 7-8k to avoid surprise vtec and regulating with clutch

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, armod said:
1 hour ago, bighawk said:

RPM @ 7-8k to avoid surprise vtec and regulating with clutch

Don't try that too often, sounds like a great way to destroy your clutch!!!!

It wheelies just fine; power in first, or slip the clutch in second.  Not my thing, though, but if that's what you're into, good on you.  I spend a lot of time drag racing at the track (naturally, on my other bike, not the VFR, which I use for commuting) and, to be completely honest, if the front tire comes up more than an inch or two I've lost the race, so it something I prefer to avoid.  Really, you can pretty much wheelie just about anything; I've seen people screw up and overrev off the line and loop GS500s with 12" stretch.  And they aren't making anywhere near the power your VFR makes barely off idle.  

• 1 month later...

I was on the fence on doing wheelies on this bike - its pretty heavy and you tend to come down pretty hard with it.  Slamming the front end down, especially with this type of setup is most likely not something that will keep it running for years to come.  I see more "floating" the front wheel than out right wheelies - if I catch VTEC just right she powers up in first and sets back down as I shift to second...  small clutch@ Vtec in second does the same thing.  I rarely get the front up high, as I said - when you come down with this bike it really hits hard.  So yes, you can do some small pull ups, even a second to third pull if you are sitting way back in the seat - but if you are wanting to ride 12oclockers - stick with a stunt bike...  my 3 cents... 

I've never been one to "pop" a wheelie, using the clutch to initiate it. I also pucker when the roadway gets obscured by the windscreen ;-)

If I can't power up a wheelie it ain't going to happen and being 6' and somewhere in the neighborhood of 190-210 lbs, it takes more power than many bike reviews boast. 
To the question, with the wife on the back, in 1st gear when the VTEC kicks in at 7k RPM, the front end comes up easily and smoothly, almost guaranteeing a bit of a ribs jab. When on my own, it'll start to float the front, more so depending on the environment (pavement imperfections, uphill or not, etc) and will continue until relaxing the right wrist. A pleasant surprise since my re-feared GSXR 750 won't loft until it gets really wound up.

I've never been one to "pop" a wheelie, using the clutch to initiate it. I also pucker when the roadway gets obscured by the windscreen ;-)

If I can't power up a wheelie it ain't going to happen and being 6' and somewhere in the neighborhood of 190-210 lbs, it takes more power than many bike reviews boast. 
To the question, with the wife on the back, in 1st gear when the VTEC kicks in at 7k RPM, the front end comes up easily and smoothly, almost guaranteeing a bit of a ribs jab. When on my own, it'll start to float the front, more so depending on the environment (pavement imperfections, uphill or not, etc) and will continue until relaxing the right wrist. A pleasant surprise since my re-geared GSXR 750 won't loft until it gets really wound up.

• Member Contributer

Well never as a past time, but I've had plenty on fast launches & with my lighter more powerful bike, when it accidentally pulls a wheelie in 4th at 100mph initiated by a crest in the road. And on a max speed run I had to give up as the road I thought was fairly smooth at 80mph, was causing wheelies at a true 155mph :( Scary  I'm sure any good wheelie person could make it wheelie off the throttle.

Prior to my modifications, my VFR 800(2017 model) wheelie a lots(and more with a passenger). Since I've reduce the weight at the rear(No U Lock, New exhaust, moving tools under the driver seat), they are less frequent. I can pull harder. Of course, that's doesn't change anything with a big passager on the rear seat, ahaha.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Switchblade said:

No didn't forget I have another bike for that.

RCBaby.jpg

HaydenRC51.jpg

And a fabulous machine it is. Looking good there Switchblade. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Does wheelying on the throttle passing 100mph on a super-charged 5th Gen count?  :lobby:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

And a fabulous machine it is. Looking good there Switchblade. :wheel:

Thanks brother !

I just put a Ohlin rear on it and it  already had Ohlin internals in the front forks. It is a blast to ride. I have a 9 minute 43 seconds oneway pass I made on the Dragon, I need to post here.

• Member Contributer

Switchblade, don't forget to post that video, i need a dragon video to help get me through the motorcycle winter blues.

Looking good!

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Switchblade said:

No didn't forget I have another bike for that.

RCBaby.jpg

HaydenRC51.jpg

Fantastic shots Switchblade, And "Powering On" beautifully through the twisties.

Cheers.

Grum

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, gig said:

Switchblade, don't forget to post that video, i need a dragon video to help get me through the motorcycle winter blues.

Looking good!

I will and I look forward to riding with you this year, last year I had to travel alot. 

On 1/9/2018 at 1:49 AM, CJMajesty said:

Apparently it can be done.

CibAFblUgAETy81.jpg

Thems look like lighter wheels ;-)
Definitely helps in the areas of acceleration and wheelies.

Archived