Do you wheelie your viffer?

bighawk

Out of curiosity, do you all wheelie your bikes? If so, do you slip the clutch?  

I was in some baron desert back roads and decided to fulfill the needs of my inner teenager, with a grin on, I decided to slip the clutch and bam, nothing.  Tried it 2x more and gave up.  Now it's hitting me, traction control?  Been a long time since I've done intentional wheelies.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've felt the front wheel come up when pushing the exit of a turn. But never actually tried to lift it up.

I've been trying to speed launch the bike and I get a lot of TCS involvement. Could be my technique or the stock tires though

Why not just shut off the TC??
It's more likely that I'm not controlling the bike properly than the system interfering with what I'm doing.

I'd prefer to have safety net there while I get the technique down. Then see if it's hindering me

It's definately hindering you.  the TCS is a very effective "don't be a bad boy" system,  but for going quick it's worse than worthless.  it's a complete liability.
And here I was thinking I just didn't know how to deal with the power

The VFR just doesn't come across as a "wheelie" bike to myself.

My previous bike Kawasaki ER-6n is a 650cc Naked. Nakeds imho are a "hooligan" sort of bike, they just seem right to wheelie to myself over a sports tourer such as the VFR.  I used to wheelie the ER-6n a lot, usually just a very low carry or bounce, but occasionally I'd put some serious air under the front tyre, right up to balance point.

Wheelies and Nakeds imho go together.

I've wheelied the VFR a couple of times, with the TC on and felt it spank my right hand, and a couple of time with it off just to say that I did it.

But it just seems to myself that the VFR just isn't for doing wheelies on. I have lots of fun on mine chucking it around corners and cracking the throttle open & QS gear changes to make the V4 sing!

I've launched hard from a few stoplights and pulled the front wheel up, and just straight power wheelied a few times in first, so it's possible. I'm no stunter, but if a Sportster can wheelie, a VFR certainly can.

I don't think TC would control a wheelie. That's a whole different set of sensors and programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jhenley17 said:

I've launched hard from a few stoplights and pulled the front wheel up, and just straight power wheelied a few times in first, so it's possible. I'm no stunter, but if a Sportster can wheelie, a VFR certainly can.

I don't think TC would control a wheelie. That's a whole different set of sensors and programming.

That was exactly my thinking.

When I got home I was scratching my noggin though, how could this thing not lift with a 2nd gear rolling dump of the clutch well in the vtec range?  Then I thought it has to be the TC?  I have felt the front wheel lift from hard acceleration in 1st so I wonder if my logic is off like you say.  Maybe this bike is just harder since I'm comparing it to my old sportbikes.  I'm just curious if anyone has clutched this bike up - i'm certainly no pro at this. 

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, armod said:

It's more likely that I'm not controlling the bike properly than the system interfering with what I'm doing.

I'd prefer to have safety net there while I get the technique down. Then see if it's hindering me

Expecting the TC to be a safety net for wheelie control is, well, a "FAIL".    ;-)

That ain't what it's meant for.

As far as I know the TC on our VFRs only looks for rear wheel slippage and has nothing for angle sensing.

2 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

15/45 sprockets are on the way. We'll see what that does. Couldn't wait a few more days for a black chain, so went with gold.

Curious to see how you like this set up and how it affects your normal riding

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, bighawk said:

Curious to see how you like this set up and how it affects your normal riding

Go to gearing commander and the answers will be revealed. 

6 minutes ago, fink said:

Go to gearing commander and the answers will be revealed. 

This is great, thanks. 

Would like to hear about the difference in felt acceleration down low.

Expecting the TC to be a safety net for wheelie control is, well, a "FAIL".    ;-)

As far as I know the TC on our VFRs only looks for rear wheel slippage and has nothing for angle sensing.

I was talking more about speed launches.

Traction control will stop wheelies... For no other reason than when the front wheel lifts - there will be a speed differential between the wheels as the rear accelerates and the front wheel is off the ground. I have read elsewhere - you can't get much beyond 30cm off the ground.

In any case, traction control modules tend to have quite a few sensors embedded anyway - so I would not be surprised if it also detects the angle as well.

2 minutes ago, armod said:
1 hour ago, Rectaltronics said:

I was talking more about speed launches.

Yeah, I'm sure that TC isn't wheelie control but it must effect power wheelies and even clutch wheelies.  If the computer is sensing disturbance to the power transfer and a slippage from the clutch, it makes sense for it to shut down the bike.  I'd have to disagree that TC has nothing to do with wheelie control - the question is, how much does it have to do with it?  One way to find out :P

Archived