Parts fell off - where do they come from?

Stray

• Member Contributer

Hello All, 

I was leaning the bike over quite heavily (nearly laying down) to check ground clearance when I noticed these on the floor near the back wheel: 

IMG_4696.thumb.JPG.f6ec51d8d50a51f83b429a81ab9faaae.JPG

I'm talking about the circlip and washer - the trim clip is there for visual reference of scale. Both items have a 10mm inside diameter and are covered in dried grease. 

They were on the right of the bike near the back tyre and I swear I didn't remove them myself. 

I've looked at the centre stand, side stand and rear shock linkages but no joy. 

Where on earth could they have come from? Didn't ride the bike this weekend as paranoid about safety now. 

Any advice gratefully recieved. 

Stray 

MBG4F2200.gif

Looks similar to 9 and 11 but not sure if they're the same sizes... 

MBG4E1400.gif

15 and 17 here but not sure how easy those come out... 

ETA - noticed that the pictures disappeared - reposted new links to another website

and in case those disappear:

MBG4_E1400.gif

MBG4_F2200.gif

The circlip and the washer go on the inside of rear brake pedal pivot (on the inside of the right rider footpeg).

The VFR uses several circlips that size, but only one of them is accompanied by a washer that looks just like that, and that's on the rear brake pedal pivot.

Because of the tight fit between the rear cylinder exhaust headers and the rider's foot peg, putting those items back onto the brake pivot requires partial removal of the whole right side rider footpeg (this means you have to remove the nut from the swingarm pivot because that holds rider footpeg on the bike).

And the plastic clip could have come from anywhere on the bike.

• Member Contributer

Chaps, that is amazing - you zeroed in on the problem instantly! 

Samuelx, those pictures are very helpful. I suspect it is parts 9 & 11 as you've described. Also, GregDenver's explanation (and how to fix it are spot on). Of course Greg has very recently done a painstaking rebuild on his 5th Gen and doubtless knows every fastener by heart. 

Thanks also for your contribution RolandHTG. You're more right than you think. I recently rebuilt the rear calliper but pedal felt spongy so I jammed a screwdriver in to keep it engaged and bleed out some stubborn air bubbles. 

IMG_4672.thumb.JPG.88218b6cf192ed16848308ba01e98a7e.JPG

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out how I cocked this up! Must have inadvertently pushed the circlip out with the screwdriver or something. Just made a bit more work for myself. 

Thanks again for for your help, gents. I would never have figured it without you.  

Stray

• Member Contributer

Strange how I have trouble remembering important stuff these days but as soon as I saw your picture of that grimey circlip I knew it came from the rear brake,  I rebuilt mine about 3 years ago.

• Member Contributer

Chaps, thanks again for your help. I NEVER would have worked that one out without your help. 

Washer and a new circlip reinstalled here: 

A10D9E1D-8B66-4EA0-B763-E2D65B9592B6.thumb.jpeg.d21c39c9d24bafc42ee4f21d2c240fe5.jpeg

The circlip must have come loose from a fall by previous owner. I realised the brake pedal was bent inwards and straightened it out with a crowbar wearing an old motorcycle glove. 

67B6E742-B614-47D0-9373-BBD2CB0663ED.thumb.jpeg.9eb096b73a20f7ad0f9d7ca6a35b2cbf.jpeg

Ready for a test ride tomorrow. Can’t wait! 

You guys are amazing and I am very grateful for your help. 

Thanks once more, 

Stray 

Archived