Melted starter relay

StormShadow

5671c5e7e82699d2603e96519c175ff3.jpg6ce2d678bc5745fb72674042698caf60.jpgcf84bc9d45c9d115409bb105f227d7aa.jpg

What causes this to melt. I installed new stator not regulator a month ago. Cleaned up every connection, earth etc even this bit. Last week bike stopped n found the plug melted. Got a few plug but Chinese relay didn't work so ordered Orem, cleaned up terminals with a file n it worked fine, week later new oem arrived n found fuse melted but not blown. Plug was fine tho. What causes this problem. Got a volt meter on on bike never seen volts above 14.5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand that it's a combination of issues across the whole bike. Part of the problem can be poor connections between the male and female ends of the connection blocks which causes arcing then burning of wires. There are also issues with poor earthing on the VFR and over time this just get worse, and of course, many problems linked to the regulator/rectum-frier which causes meltdowns all of its own.

There are various solution and one I've seen involves replacing the OEM connectors with better quality parts, but this is a ball-ache to say the least.

The VFR's electrical issues are well-documented and some googling/trawl through this forum may bring up other responses.

• Member Contributer

Anytime a connector overheats like that it is (almost certainly) due to corrosion or poor contact. If it was just too much power flowing then there would be issues with the wire itself, and not just manifest at a connector.

Unfortunately, it looks like you'll need a new starter relay and replace the 4-pin connector. You might find good replacements at a motorcycle salvage yard. But, beware as there are right & left handed starter relays. The two main connections are not interchangeable; one must go to the battery and the other to the starter motor.

Good luck,

Archived