Rear-sets - looking for aftermarket CNC

Straycat

Hi guys, im looking for a set of CNC rear-sets (Brackets, pegs , pedal levers) for my 85 interceptor project.  Anyone know which bike may have a compatible mounting position to the VF500 Interceptor (ie that fit holes on the frame that accept the stock rear set bracket).  Lots of aftermarket rearsetsout there, but noting for the VF500, so im looking to find a match.

for example the new style ZX6 kawasaki rear sets will fit on a RZ350, looking for the same type lucky fit for the VF500 Interceptor

thanks

• 1 month later...

I have a set somewhere, dunno the brand (likely not to be CNC, but if they've been around that long, who knows).

I bought them largely as a joke, given that I'm 200lb+ and six foot tall.  :)

• Member Contributer

I've been looking at this shit for decades, and the mounting tabs from that era are unique.  You can't even mix and match between 80's V4 models, they are all different (except for the 84 VF1000F and the VF700/750F).  Not even the VF400F and the VF500F share the same mounting tab locations.

Find some cheap CBR600 CNC rear sets (pretty much any year) and make some adapter plates.  With some countersunk chamfered bolts for the plates, you can pretty much put them wherever you want and only be marginally wider than stock.

• Member Contributer

Sebspeed is making adapter plates for the 5 Gen to allow the use of CBR929/954 rear sets. Maybe talk to Seb and see if he can make you a set.

Yeah I can make pretty much anything - but I'd need a bike here to make the best possible parts. Haven't had a 500 here in years, unfortunately. 

I could possibly make a set by working off the oem footrest? If someone wants to send me parts I'd give it a go.

Ok, great!

Now, what is it you guys are looking for as far as peg position? Custom = anything goes, right?

My normal approach would be to make the aftermarket peg position = the stock position when adjusted fully forward and down, this would put the entire adjustment range up and back from stock. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Ok, great!

Now, what is it you guys are looking for as far as peg position? Custom = anything goes, right?

My normal approach would be to make the aftermarket peg position = the stock position when adjusted fully forward and down, this would put the entire adjustment range up and back from stock. 

Now I'm not the one who started this journey, but I am obviously interested.  That sounds very reasonable, but if you had to "start" slightly up and back it would be ok.  The stock position is pretty conservative and it may be hard to get the hardware in that location.

56 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Now I'm not the one who started this journey, but I am obviously interested.  That sounds very reasonable, but if you had to "start" slightly up and back it would be ok.  The stock position is pretty conservative and it may be hard to get the hardware in that location.

Could you post some close up pics of each side of your bike, focused on the rearsets? Maybe front quarter, side, and rear quarter? That will help me figure out what to consider when designing these. Thanks!

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

Could you post some close up pics of each side of your bike, focused on the rearsets? Maybe front quarter, side, and rear quarter? That will help me figure out what to consider when designing these. Thanks!

Of course!  I was already going to do that.

• Member Contributer

I will post some pics soon.  Maybe you can shoot me an email so I don't have to post all of the pics.

For me personally, I'd like to eliminate the passenger pegs (of course), but retain the exhaust mounts.  I think that would look pretty trick.  Most systems that people will source will use the stock mount locations.  Maybe those sections can be removable from the main bracket?  That would be sweet for a right 4-1 exit where the left is not needed.  Or for someone creating some high mount slip-ons or a custom full exhaust.  I know that adds complexity, and that adds cost. 

My $.02

My email is sebspeed2003 at yahoo.com

Honestly, making new parts fit like stock is the more difficult option. Not difficult per se, but more involved than excluding the pipe mounts. Stock-type parts will also be larger and as such more expensive from a material and machining standpoint. Not trying to talk you out of anything at all, just putting the info out there. 

Let's see who else is interested?

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

My email is sebspeed2003 at yahoo.com

Honestly, making new parts fit like stock is the more difficult option. Not difficult per se, but more involved than excluding the pipe mounts. Stock-type parts will also be larger and as such more expensive from a material and machining standpoint. Not trying to talk you out of anything at all, just putting the info out there. 

Let's see who else is interested?

Exhausts mounts def not a deal breaker for me.  Just throwing shit out there.  I would be cool with the most basic adapter plate, not even adjustable.  As you can see looking at the stock location, you are going to end up fairly up and back without moving far from the stock frame tabs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

large.20171228_174216.jpg.213c6d666f966c

large.20171228_174311.jpg.c5a2e0f5f4732f

Stock locations.  Apparently I need to by a new shift linkage boot.  Man...  close up pictures pick your shit apart.

• Member Contributer

large.20171228_175118.jpg.ad21e732c49227

large.20171228_175145.jpg.c5eec452a8c5b2

Tarozzi rearset adapters (modified with CBR900RR hardware) on the Race Bike for reference.  They are fairly "sporty".  Even up that far and back I still scraped the left footpeg and shifter in a corner. 

• Member Contributer

It gets tight fast.  The Tarozzi are pretty agressive as far as a somewhat stock 500 can take.  The Race Bike has some Teleflex clip-ons that are configured very low and that worked nicely with the peg location on the track.

The smallest mass-produced Honda aftermarket rear set would be ideal, with some adjustablilty up and back.  The frame style and tab location limit the choices.  

Archived