06 Motor into an 02 ??? I need some guidance

Throttlemaster

Question

Hello forum,

I'm a longtime Honda V4 rider and just had a motor fail on my 2002 non-ABS VFR800 at about 70k (spewed coolant and oil and lost oil pressure at 97 mph) . Probably was the head gasket I'm thinking. In any event, I just picked up a low mileage 06 motor (3,471 miles) complete with radiators, throttle bodies, injectors, everything still installed on the block for $750!

Question: What should I pull off this motor so as to avoid any compatibility issues? I read that the fuel injection system (specifically the injectors) is different on the 06. I also read that Honda changed the VTEC open/close RPMs to open at 6400 and close at 6100 on the 2006 model bike.

I'm sure the wiring an connectors from the motor are probably different, so I'm sure I'll need to install all my original 2002 wiring connectors onto the 2006 motor. I don't want to tear the motor down too much though if it isn't necessary. I'm not looking for any performance gains, simply looking to adapt the motor in the easiest way possible so that I can get back to my 85 mile daily commute. Any answers would be helpful. Thanks! Ed

IMAG2266.jpg

IMAG2267.jpg

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I have just recently done this to mine, changed over to a low mileage 2008 from my original 2002. You don’t have to do anything different. All connectors, harness, hoses etc all fit. Only thing I have noticed is a vibration at around 4000 - 4700 which I didn’t have on the old engine. Engine pulls strong through all gears and rev range. Just annoying vibration. No damage to the replacement engine from the place I bought it but you never know if they changed over any parts to mask any road gravel damage.

• Member Contributer

Used the complete motor but the original throttle bodies from my 2002. I have a power commander with a modified cosi map, k&n and staintunes.  May go and get it Dinoed to see if the vibration is through the mapping. As said, on my 2002 it was a smooth engine all the way through the rev range. Still have it in the garage so may end up putting it back in and sell the 2008 engine. 2002 has 54,000 km and the 2008 has 14,000 km

Ok, thanks. Yes, I think I'll use my 02 throttle bodies with the 06 motor, keeping my 02 ECU. I have Staintunes also, no Power Commander or K&N. Somewhere in another post someone mentioned that the valvetrain parts didn't change with the 06 VTEC, so I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope I don't end up with the midrange vibes! I was planning on the snorkel/flapper/pair mod, but I'll wait on that until I can confirm smooth operation.

Cheers,

Ed

Archived