Regulator/Rectifier

Tiggy

Hi,  I have just purchased a R+R but it turns out it is for the previous model of my bike, will it still be OK to fit, the connector blocks are slightly different but could replace with old ones if the unit is comparable. 

• Member Contributer

Reg/recs are fairly interchangeable among manufacturers and models.  They all have three input wires from the stator (which can be connected in any order), a 12v output and a ground.  Some have an additional 12v sensor wire (e.g., 2000-01 VFR800Fi), which isn't really necessary.  More significant is what type of reg/rec it is.  The old-style shunt reg/recs are problems waiting to happen, the newer MOSFET reg/recs seem to be reliable, and the newest type, series, while reliable are possibly overkill.  

Connectors and terminals are available from several sources, UK, US and international.  Assuming you're in the UK and have a 5th gen; what reg/rec have you got?

Ciao,

Further to my problem with the RR, when i now start the bike the LCD screen only registers for about a minuet then goes blank, is this because the RR is for a previous model or is it an earthing/loose wire at fault. Many thanks to all.

Archived