Anyone installed a Power Commander?

4corsa

Thinking of installing one on my 2014. I've installed 4 or 5 before on past bikes with no problem. Just wondering if it will be any more challenging for our 8th gen VFRs.

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The Rapid Bike fueling module is a far better option, I have the Evo fitted to mine and it's made a noticeable difference 

There was a group buy in the USA so there are a few threads if you search 

I'm not familiar with the Rapid Bike fueling module - is it adjustable with a laptop like the Power Commander? How much does it cost and why is it better? Is it a relatively easy plug and play install? Thanks.

Previous owner put a PC5 on mine, so I can't speak for the install process, but I'm honestly probably going to take it out soon.

Not sure if this is typical of FI modules but in my bike it's temperamental when the engine is cold and I believe it's contributing to my annoyingly low mpg (32 city, 40-43 highway).

Personally, I wouldn't install/reinstall it until I'm ready to really start seriously doing power mods.

In regards to rapidbike, I believe the difference is that it also does spark plug timing out of the box, though I could be wrong.

• Member Contributer

The rapid bike has auto tuning built in as well. I recently swapped out my PCV for the RB EVO and it seems to run just as well if not better, right out of the carton. No map to load, no tuner to get involved with but in all honesty I have not even looked at the software yet but my understanding is that there is quite a bit that you can manage with it, particularly if you get the ‘Racing’ version.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 4corsa said:

I'm not familiar with the Rapid Bike fueling module - is it adjustable with a laptop like the Power Commander? How much does it cost and why is it better? Is it a relatively easy plug and play install? Thanks

Cost is around $400 or less, the Evo is the basic fueling unit, the Racing allows a lot more, Rev limit changeable, quickshifter, more sensors, etc

Yes you can connect it to a PC if you wish 

The module aims at getting the fueling correct through the Rev range and is self correcting, so adjusts for air temp, O2 level, humidity as you ride

It comes with a base map for the bike and then corrects itself to your machine and riding 

Plug and Play, beautiful harness with every connection labelled, a real quality bit of kit

Like this http://www.dimsport.it/en/rapidbike/evo/

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Cost is around $400 or less, the Evo is the basic fueling unit, the Racing allows a lot more, Rev limit changeable, quickshifter, more sensors, etc

The module aims at getting the fueling correct through the Rev range and is self correcting, so adjusts for air temp, O2 level, humidity as you ride

It comes with a base map for the bike and then corrects itself to your machine and riding 

Plug and Play, beautiful harness with every connection labelled, a real quality bit of kit

It is more like $537 (shipped) if purchased directly from the US distributor (rapidbike.us) and the EVO will also allow a quick shifter too, from what I was told. However, I was also told that the QS will not work with the stock shift levers like the ones on the 5/6 Gens, not sure about the 8 Gen. I was told it requires the shift rod type of shift mechanism, not a lever connected directly to the shaft. This is info is about two weeks old as I just ordered an RB EVO for my 5 Gen but had to hold off on the QS until I can get a set of rear sets that can provide the shift rod type of shift mechanism.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out!

If you are able to contact RB, please share a good email.  I was interested about half a year ago and sent a couple of emails but they never replied... 

• Member Contributer

The British distributor replied next day, even advised getting an Evo for road use saving me 30% 

When I ordered it online it was here in 3 days

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Samuelx said:

If you are able to contact RB, please share a good email.  I was interested about half a year ago and sent a couple of emails but they never replied... 

I've purchased two RB EVOs from the U.S. Distributor (rapidbike.us) and even spoke with the owner. They're in Florida so as long as you don't wait until after 2PM PST, you should be able to reach them. I updated the price I paid in the previous post I did earlier but here it is again $537.00 shipped

• Member Contributer

I put a PCV on my '14. I haven't dynoed it to give you any real results, and the ol' butt-dyno is notoriously inaccurate. It hasn't harmed my performance though ;) 

The installation was pretty similar to the installation on a CBR.

Archived