Seat mod/recover

chris023

Anyone have ideas on seat upgrade for the VFR?  The Sargent seat on my VFR is showing its age and is not nearly as comfortable as it was when new.  I was considering having gel inserts used instead of just foam this time.  Any recommendations?

• Member Contributer

I had my 6th gen Sargent re-worked locally, though I never liked it from the start.  I had mine done by cutting down the Sargent foam to a thinner level and then had 2 layers of progressively softer foam put on top of that.  They were able to do that whilst retaining the cover.  That way it molds to me to eliminate pressure points but still offers support against bottoming out on the seat pan.  They also shaved off the contour lines that run lengthwise along the saddle that would cut in to the thigh on long rides.  My longest ride on it was 460 miles.  My arse wasn't fresh as a daisy when I got off it, but it was doable.  A 300 mile day on it is not a problem. Maybe the most important thing is to find someone that will work with you.  Each person is built differently and has their own preference for firmness so be sure to get what you want. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Not to hijack the thread, but where did you get the work done, Cogswell? I'm not far away, so if you were happy with your service, maybe I'll give them a try... I've thought about trying to rework the stocker myself, but I've got enough projects!

I've got the stock seat (horrrible) and a Sargent that is better, but not great. I agree on those lines on the Sargent... It's perfectly comfortable when you first sit down, but after a few hours that piping feels like a razor blade!

Archived