Advice on moving VFR on 5.5ft truck bed

kevin80302

So I decided to go to Iowa to pick up a 2014 VFR and I am using my 2016 Ram 1500 with a 5.5ft bed... any guesses whether the tailgate  will hold up on a 350 mile ride home?

I was thinking of using a 3/4” sheet of plywood to maybe even out the load?  Would that even be necessary?

Thanks,

K

Would you be able to close the tailgate if you go in diagonally?  I don't see how the plywood could hurt, might be a good precautionary measure.  If you compress the front end enough, I think most of the weight in the bed will be closer to the cab/front...  ?

The very few times I've crammed mine in the back of a truck, I stuck it in there diagonally.   I did not trust my tailgate as it is held horizontal by swaged cables and a stamped piece of sheet metal.  Plus I like the structure the closed tailgate provides to the bed rails when I cinch down the tie downs.

596211036_dfbc6c16be_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ok this should answer the question.  A couple years back I rode to AZ to meet the SO and drive back together.  Here the VFR is loaded into a 6.5 bed but the chock is setback about a foot to allow me to retain the folded bed cover on the back.  Note the plywood over the tailgate.

medium.5869a76a8972a_DSCN2202-CanyonDanc

med_gallery_2144_2760_942539.jpg

No problem.  I started doing this about 7 years ago and it still works although I split between trailer, pickup and riding from my doorstep. It depends?

• Member Contributer

I had my 07 in my gmc for 500 miles on the tailgate no extra support, no issues. Speed got above 90 for about 250 miles (just going with the flow)

You'll be fine. If you want to go the overkill route you can put a 2x8 under the wheels of the bike to spread the load. Cheaper & stronger than plywood, holds up better if it gets wet too.

Archived