NEWBIE WITH A QUESTION - KINDA URGENT

DrSteve

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2017 at 6:18 AM, Skids said:

Stock seats from the 2010 models tend to act like an ice skating rink - very slippery...

This is a really important point. 2010/11 bikes have a really VERY slippery vinyl covering which is terrible. I tried coating it and that was perfect for about 200 miles, then it rubbed off, so not a long term solution. From 2012 there is a new seat with a different covering and it's a great seat for me. The most comfortable seat I've ever used. However, an expensive swap here in the UK, but in the US, a new seat is probably cheaper than getting one modified and recovered. Just make sure you get one for 2012 ->

• Member Contributer
On 10/31/2017 at 6:42 AM, BiKenG said:

This is a really important point. 2010/11 bikes have a really VERY slippery vinyl covering which is terrible. I tried coating it and that was perfect for about 200 miles, then it rubbed off, so not a long term solution. From 2012 there is a new seat with a different covering and it's a great seat for me. The most comfortable seat I've ever used. However, an expensive swap here in the UK, but in the US, a new seat is probably cheaper than getting one modified and recovered. Just make sure you get one for 2012 ->

Completely agree on seat comments. First thing I had changed on the 2010 was the OEM seat - an abomination! Had it sent to Sargent seat in Florida to get recovered and it has been great since. The 2012 we have has kept the original OEM seat as there is no need to change after many proven cross country miles. If you can find a reasonable price on a 2012 seat just pop that on your 2010, fits perfect. That's what I did while waiting for my Sargent seat to come back.

I've got close to 30k miles on my 2010 and I completely disagree with the seat comments.  I like that it's a bit slippery as I tend to hang on with my knees anyways.  If the seat was 'stickier', my pants would stick to the seat and my bottom would slide around in my pants... which means my drawers are always bunching up.  The key is TechSpec/StompGrip pads on the side of the tank.  Those make a WORLD of difference.

16 hours ago, crakerjac said:

I've got close to 30k miles on my 2010 and I completely disagree with the seat comments.  I like that it's a bit slippery as I tend to hang on with my knees anyways.  If the seat was 'stickier', my pants would stick to the seat and my bottom would slide around in my pants... which means my drawers are always bunching up.  The key is TechSpec/StompGrip pads on the side of the tank.  Those make a WORLD of difference.

Well if you have one of those horrible 'sticky' 2012-> seats and would prefer the earlier slippery one, I'd be more than happy to swap the 2010 slippy seat I have for that later sticky one. Purely for your benefit of course. :biggrin:

Archived