NEWBIE WITH A QUESTION - KINDA URGENT

DrSteve

Looking at a very low mileage 2010 VFR 1200F.  Test rode it, loved the power, brakes, handling, etc.  The ergo's will be a problem for me though as at my age I need as much of an upright riding position as I can get without ruining the handling characteristics.

Here goes:

Risers and pull backs?     What do you recommend for the maximum available and where can I find them?

Peg lowering?                  What do you recommend for the lowest possible without risking lean angles?

Seat?                                The bike I am looking at has an OEM low seat.  Are used OEM standard height seats available or a more comfortable aftermarket touring you                                                           recommend for touring?

Windshield?                     Tallest windshield available?

I ride a BMW and Ducati now and have learned to navigate those forums but I'm new to Honda's, hence the basic questions.

Thanks for your help.

• Member Contributer

I don't own a 1200 - however AFAIK Convertibars have the largest range for adjustability both up and back.    To get the most out of them though may require a refit of hoses, wiring, etc. 

https://convertibars.3dcartstores.com/Honda_c_25-2.html

I'm 56 will be 57 next month I just bought a 2010 1200 with 650 miles on it. Stock seat heli bars. That's how I bought it. So far I lov the bike. I paid $6,500 for mine but it's like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I think that highest bar height and pullback allowed without cutting plastics is from Speigler/LSL.

Peg lowering through Buell pegs (HispanicSlammer topic from 2010 OR 2011?) 

Personally, I had a seat made.  Factory seat wasn't bad for me, but cover tore, so re foamed when I had that redone. (See Yokels 2010 refresh thread for LSL and seat pics.)

Stock screen works for me, but many use a double bubble or fit factory laminar lip.

Hope you enjoy it!

• Member Contributer

Stock seats from the 2010 models tend to act like an ice skating rink - very slippery. I'd recommend getting a custom seat made and get the front section cut down to lower it.

Honda do an OEM touring screen accessory which attaches to the existing one.vfr1200f-gt-white-black.png

There are none-OEM ones available too. A quick Google search should reveal plenty.

15 hours ago, DrSteve said:

Looking at a very low mileage 2010 VFR 1200F.  Test rode it, loved the power, brakes, handling, etc.  The ergo's will be a problem for me though as at my age I need as much of an upright riding position as I can get without ruining the handling characteristics.

Here goes:

Risers and pull backs?     What do you recommend for the maximum available and where can I find them?

Peg lowering?                  What do you recommend for the lowest possible without risking lean angles?

Seat?                                The bike I am looking at has an OEM low seat.  Are used OEM standard height seats available or a more comfortable aftermarket touring you                                                           recommend for touring?

Windshield?                     Tallest windshield available?

I ride a BMW and Ducati now and have learned to navigate those forums but I'm new to Honda's, hence the basic questions.

Thanks for your help.

I own a 2010, and installed the helibars.  They made a big difference.  

The stock seat sucks.  I will be installing the Saddleman touring seat next.  I'm 5'5" and find the stock seat height is fine.  If you are taller I wouldn't keep the short seat.

https://www.saddlemen.com/index.php?route=product/bikeSearch&search=

Knight design makes lower pegs that look the best IMHO.  I found the bars helped enough, so I will be staying stock for now.

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/Honda/VFR1200/Honda-VFR1200F-Menu.html

I have a mid sized wind shield installed.  I live where it is hot, so I may reinstall the stock.  Wind protection is quite good on this bike, but you get airflow shoulders up.

It is a great bike.  Good luck.

Wow!  My first post and your responsiveness is way more than I had expected - thanks so much for your help. 

I need to decide to pull the trigger on the bike I am looking at.  It's a 2010F, 3,200 miles, full factory cases, center stand, heated grips, no damage, original tires - asking $7200.  Not sure if this a decent price or not.  Market is not clear.

Your thoughts?

• Member Contributer

That's a decent price - decent but not great.  If you don't want the factory luggage, you could probably get a least a grand for it.  

The fact that the bike is on the factory tires and you like how the bike rides says a lot.  The bike will be changed dramatically for the better with a better set of tires. 

• Member Contributer

If you are price sensitive about tire prices the Pilot Road 2 has taken me through all the worst weather and never caused any traction issues. They tend to be cheaper than the PR-3 and PR-4. 

They also last me around 10,000 miles. I've used many sets over the last six years.

My bike was not in the list , but the engine blowed for same reason with 47700 km , Honda send a new complete 2016 unit and payed for all  btw...

Says pay does not exist!! I would like to read it and check my VIN #

I got to take mine in for the driveshaft recall. My local dealer has my driveshaft on order. I will have them double check my motor for the recall. Thanks very much for the information.

Archived