Hello & Intro

adkfinn

• Member Contributer

Hi all, I thought I would take minute and introduce myself here since it doesn't seem this site has an 'Introductions' forum. 

I joined the circus officially last month. A nice, clean, low mile, Honda shop maintained, and most importantly fast fast fast :cool: red 98 5th Gen popped up pretty local to me. I bought the bike from a nice guy who decided to let it go due to time constraints and lack of use. Between a young family and deployments he'd only had the bike out once in the last couple of years. 25k mi, very nice condition and well cared for. It is a world apart from the older bikes I am used to riding around and it also feels pretty light compared to my CB750F ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/qVYfZ8e62PmDb1qp1 ). Not a good pic but here she is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vdFxighALKMw4uXA2

Current setup: Stock aside from a DB windscreen, TB slip on (sounds great), upgraded R/R (I need to verify the specific part).

My short list is as follows:
-tires
-brake pads
-brake flush, caliper rebuild as necessary, stainless lines? (keeping the linked brakes for now, but I may wait on the stainless lines to see if I decide to ditch the linked brakes sooner than later)
-coolant flush, new t-stat (t-stat is original from what I can tell), check hoses for deterioration and replace as necessary
-starter valve sync
-oil change
-new air filter
-stompgrip (I feel like I slide forward way too much on this bike and the naked tank doesn't provide any real grip for my knees)

Future list:
-PAIR block off mod
-different mirrors, I have broad shoulders and the stock position doesn't work (same on nearly all bikes for me). I will probably install convex bar end mirrors as I have had good luck with them in the past. I prefer them to be lower and a little further out of my forward vision also.
-sliders
-led headlight bulbs
-header & high mount can(wish list, but I'd love to find a set that is better than a stock replacement... Tyga if/when that actually happens?)
-DMr suspension, I am 6'2", 240lb and the stock suspension is clearly a bit soft for my weight.
-tweak the peg height a little lower perhaps.

Let me know your thoughts and what I may be missing. I have a factory workshop manual and plan on running through it. I am planning on examining, cleaning, and lubing all my electrical connections and grounds also. Thanks for all the great threads already, I have been reading, searching, and learning a lot.

20170929_142716.jpg

• Member Contributer

Update #1 -

Done:

T30 EVO f&r - Very nice, very predictable, plenty of grip, lean in is smooth and linear (400mi on these so far)

HH pads all around - Fronts were getting close to end of life, so I swapped them all now and will complete a full brake system service later. Calipers and pistons look good, fluid looked good enough to run for the short remainder of fall riding. A full flush and stainless lines are up next. I love these brake pads.

Lighting upgrades - LED bulbs in headlights (very bright, slightly more glare than stock, need to see if adjusting aiming lower brings this within acceptable limits without affecting the pattern too much), LED taillight upgrade (bright, light smoke look, aesthetically a big improvement), light smoke front turn signals to match. Oh, vanity.

New air filter - Emgo factory style replacement, the K&N that came out was filthy and an older style (smaller filter element) part.

On Deck:

upgraded R/R from Roadstercycle (the replacement part in my bike is the Honda "upgraded" version, tests fine at idle, but voltage is dropping at revs) and voltmeter on the way.

PAIR mod from Mello Dude on the way. Hopefully this solves the 4k-5k rpm decel popping with the TBR exhaust.

clocks/instrument lighting upgrade - red? blue? something else? LED's in hand just need to decide which color I like best.

Off-season:

thermostat replacement
starter vavle sync
valley cooling hoses - inspect/replace as necessary
airbox and stack mods?
coolant system flush
brake system flush
clutch system flush
clean & repack wheel bearings

suspension f&r  

The wanted list:

stainless performance header - Used if a unicorn appears, new if any of the ones on vfrd ever materialize and become available. Otherwise I am planning on blasting and coating my factory header.
high mount carbon fiber can - mostly vanity, gotta let that single sided swingarm shine.

Welcome! Nice clean bike. Always nice to see!

Re: Peg lower - Might want to consider some CBR 600 pegs. Full metal, no rubber, so sit lower than the stock VFR pegs with the thick rubber plate. I got the CBR pegs because i was sick of constantly trashing the rubber, and it's expensive to replace.

Re: Headers & can - Delkevic do a great kit of both header and pipe. High and low mount variations. I have just a can, and it's survived the salty British winters, rainy 'summers' and all that inbetween as a daily ride for more than 2 years now. Still looks great, no rust, not degredation so far. Delkevic supply worldwide (UK based), see your options here. I have this can.

Re: Air filter - Pipercross do the largest version. Might be a better choice.

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, hellindustries said:

Welcome! Nice clean bike. Always nice to see!

Re: Peg lower - Might want to consider some CBR 600 pegs. Full metal, no rubber, so sit lower than the stock VFR pegs with the thick rubber plate. I got the CBR pegs because i was sick of constantly trashing the rubber, and it's expensive to replace.

Re: Headers & can - Delkevic do a great kit of both header and pipe. High and low mount variations. I have just a can, and it's survived the salty British winters, rainy 'summers' and all that inbetween as a daily ride for more than 2 years now. Still looks great, no rust, not degredation so far. Delkevic supply worldwide (UK based), see your options here. I have this can.

Re: Air filter - Pipercross do the largest version. Might be a better choice.

Thanks so much for the info. Follow ups:

Pegs: What year CBR600 pegs are a direct swap? I am pretty comfortable on the bike so far, I've taken a longer weekend trip and have ridden 2 hrs without discomfort, so it isn't high priority, but a quick 1/2-1" lower wouldn't hurt anything given my height. Also, I have found the stock seat to work pretty well for me. If I am riding how/where I want I am not spending a ton of time just sitting on the seat anyhow. 

Headers - I am going to hold out for a bit and hope that one of the potential new performance headers that get talked about here become available. If not, I will likely just sand blast and coast my stock header. 

Can - The TBR on the bike is nice, but I just find a high mount to look so much better (and I'd go CF while I was it). I am also going to remove the passenger pegs (chopping a lefty to keep the helmet and seat lock) when I make the switch.

Filter - There are better options for sure. For now it was on the 'new to me' bike check/replace list, so I just grabbed something stock(ish) to keep her throat clear. 

Does anyone want the K&N I took out? Yours for the cost of shipping and the time to clean it. 

Pegs - I got some 2003-2006 pegs. Straight swap. They came with a pin, spring, and an E clip, but i swapped it for the stock pin and a split-pin for more security. I'd estimate it gave me maybe half an inch at best.

Seat - Still not a fan personally. I'd like to flatten mine out a bit, and make it a bit more grippy.

Pipes - Provided your current pipes are in good condition, and you can get them blasted/coated for a good price? Probably your best bet. I'd like to get mine ceramic coated.

Chop - Good plan! I hope you'll also get a seat cowl to finish it off. Might want to buy a set of used rear peg mounts just in case you want/need to switch back, or make a mistake on the left side.

• Member Contributer

Nice looking 5th Gen!

Those pegs hellindustires is talking about are probably a generic Honda item. I swapped a spare set I had from when I had an '01 RC51.  

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, hellindustries said:

Chop - Good plan! I hope you'll also get a seat cowl to finish it off. Might want to buy a set of used rear peg mounts just in case you want/need to switch back, or make a mistake on the left side.

Yes, I snagged a left side mount already to sacrifice for this purpose. The right one one get chopped, just removed.  Seat cowl is already on the bike and isn't going anywhere. 

I have access to a blast cabinet I will need to look and see if I can find a place that does ceramic coating locally. 

Archived