New leftover base 2014 price?

kevin80302

Hi, I am looking to buy a new red 2014 Base VFR800 and trying to figure out what a good price would be. 

I have seen threads where people have gotten out the door with $5400 + TTL but is that common?  I dealer in Dallas (on cycle-trader had 2 at $6000 but they were sold before I got there.

There is a red one and white one in Iowa that they are asking $7000 for.  How low should i offer?

Thanks

K.

That's a great price. First make sure if that includes delivery fee, tags etc. Then offer $6500, but also have them include a center stand installed! Even if you end up near or at $7k plus tax, it's an amazing deal and a great bike for that price. For reference, I paid $7500 + tax for my 2014 one year ago.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

There is a red 2014 in Fargo, dealer is asking $6,200.00

Hey Kevin - 

Cedar Creek WI - $6976 - they will deal on the discounted prices (my guess is they'd come off that price by about $500)

https://www.cedarcreekmotorsports.com/default.asp?page=xAllInventory&vt=motorcycle / scooter&make=honda&sq=interceptor&s=Price&d=A#page=xAllInventory&sq=interceptor&vt=motorcycle %2F scooter&make=honda

no affiliation, but I did buy a bike from them ...

• Member Contributer

These are pretty unbelievable discounts. I'm 300 miles north of Kevin, and not in the market, but it would still be a long way to pick up a bike. It does remind me of when they had all the leftover 2007 6th gens.  Either they are dropping the VFR from the US market (again) or they have significant model change coming. 

• Member Contributer

To answer your question, offer them what the bike is worth to YOU.  If you roll away with one from a dealer you paid, say, $5400 - $7000 for, understand it has near no resale value so plan to like and keep it if money is a factor in your life.

The 8th gen. is an excellent bike for what it was intended to do.  If you want a powerful bike, it isn't one.  If you want a comfortable bike to ride all day, it isn't one.  If you want the best compromise, that's what it is, but you know that if you own a 2007.   BTW, what's wrong with your 2007?  Just curious because if it runs well, I would keep it.     

22 hours ago, Bent said:

If you roll away with one from a dealer you paid, say, $5400 - $7000 for, understand it has near no resale value

Not true at all - "near no resale value" means it has $0 resale value, which is ludicrous. If you buy it for $6500, and used VFRs in your area with the same or more miles on them - given the same year -  are selling for more than that - you'll always be able to get your money out of it.

Because you're able to locate a deal on the price (because these deals are not available everywhere) has zero to do with resale, because the next owner has no idea what you paid for it. Buy anything below the market price and you'll always be able to sell it at market, resulting in some return on your money. Consequently, resale value on these big discounted bikes are an easy way to flip it for the same, or near same money paid if you determine it's not the bike for you.

• Member Contributer

If anyone wants a new pearl white deluxe they have one in St. Augustine for $8,999.  Not sure what their fees are though:

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Powersports-St.-Augustine-2891092/listing/2014-Honda-Interceptor-DLX-114168379

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, LucaBrasi said:

Not true at all - "near no resale value" means it has $0 resale value, which is ludicrous. If you buy it for $6500, and used VFRs in your area with the same or more miles on them - given the same year -  are selling for more than that - you'll always be able to get your money out of it.

Because you're able to locate a deal on the price (because these deals are not available everywhere) has zero to do with resale, because the next owner has no idea what you paid for it. Buy anything below the market price and you'll always be able to sell it at market, resulting in some return on your money. Consequently, resale value on these big discounted bikes are an easy way to flip it for the same, or near same money paid if you determine it's not the bike for you.

That would be true if the resale market was fetching good prices.  It isn't and in many cases, used prices of bikes are poor to say the least.  Same as new bikes....they are moving very slow.  The motorcycle market is slow to put it mildly.  Typing, "near no" resale value, you took that to mean literally zero.  Even a totaled bike from a wreck is worth more than zero.   I should have clarified by saying no reasonable resale value.  Geez loouize.....    

Archived