1997 VFR750 tire recommendations neeeded

VFR’ers,

I just purchased a barn find 1997 VFR750 that’s been sitting for 6 years, but is absolutely pristine. Besides a fluid flush and refill, and new carb kits, I’m in need of new tires. I need your expert opinions on good, qualitiy sport-tour tires that can handle the distance and wet weather of the Pacific North West (PNW).  No track tires or anything super sticky. It really needs to handle wet weather.  My last experience was with Dunlop 204s and 205s, but I haven’t kept up with recent products. Recommendations needed. 

Help me Obi-VFR’ers, you’re my only hope. 

Nozz

E3028D07-42D9-44F9-AC1C-A6F5C98A4C5C.jpeg

VFR’ers,

I just purchased a barn find 1997 VFR750 that’s been sitting for 6 years, but is absolutely pristine. Besides a fluid flush and refill, and new carb kits, I’m in need of new tires. I need your expert opinions on good, qualitiy sport-tour tires that can handle the distance and wet weather of the Pacific North West (PNW).  No track tires or anything super sticky. It really needs to handle wet weather.  My last experience was with Dunlop 204s and 205s, but I haven’t kept up with recent products. Recommendations needed. 

Help me Obi-VFR’ers, you’re my only hope. 

Nozz
E3028D07-42D9-44F9-AC1C-A6F5C98A4C5C.thumb.jpeg.5fdc275880c447a6afc5e06064e8ab92.jpeg
I'm actually running Shinko 009 Ravens on my 96. Have about 6k miles on them and have 75-80% tread life remaining. I had Dunlops before and won't be going back. Fantastic tire at a great price

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The pilot road 4 is a pretty amazing tire. Also look at the road smart 3. I have no experience with it, but they used the pr4 as a benchmark and the reviews are good. The rs3 is also a little cheaper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I've run the Pilot road 4's and have the Angel GT's now. I'm in Florida and wet grip about same for both. I got 8k miles out of the Michelin's worn in center most of my riding is commuting. I have all most 2k on the GT's not much wear. Have to say personally I like the way the GT"s turn in very smooth, the PR4's seemed to fall in but I'm no corner carver!  Had Contimotion tires when I bought it. Wore out in about 4k and the last miles on them were very unpredictable a lot of moving around in turns. Oh congrats on a great looking bike I also have a 97 and just love it. 

I have roadsmart 2's on my 1995.  I like them so much I bought roadsmart 3's.  They are an excelllent tire and supply great grip in dry.  Apparently they do very well in the wet, but I haven't had occasion to ride in the wet recently.  I bought the 3's off the internet, and they were selling for a cheaper price than the 2's.

• Member Contributer

I've been very satisfied with Michelins for most of the last 17 years on a series of 4th gen, 3rd gen, and VTR1000F. The first sets were Pilot Sport, then Pilot Power in its various flavours. In 2015 I tried a set of Pilot Road 4 and got 2 full years out of them, over 16,000 km/10,000 miles. This year I tried the new Pilot Power RS.

Any of the Michelin Pilot series are a huge step up from D204 & D207 that I also had in the past, most recently the oe on my '09 VFR800.

Unless you are a hot shoe, the Pilot Road 4 are definitely worth trying.

• Member Contributer

Can't go wrong with the PR's.  the penultimate set was Pirelli Angel GT's which did flawlessly in the wet

P8050794.thumb.JPG.45ee3f9c32b49529d3297028d9ddef76.JPG

But once in Finland, they were pretty much gone. So new shoes for riding through the Baltics, Poland etc were due.

IMAG4603.jpg

Last set were Metzeler Z6's (those the Finnish shop had ready in stock)

IMAG4617.jpg

They did a good job as well. Would have used those up as well, were it not for that oncoming cager going a left turn w/o noticing me...

Yes, plenty thread left on those....P8151123.thumb.JPG.6ff84fb0de946f9b1e4868f9197a3a9f.JPG

(Later sold that rear tyre and the front rim+tyre to a CBR900 owner...)

Awesome ya'll, now I've narrowed it down to the following 4 tires

1.  Dunlop Roadsmart 3

2.  Michelin Pilot Road 4

3.  Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT

4. Pirelli Angel GT

Where do you buy your tires?  Revzilla?  Amazon?

Don't bother with Dunflops, they tend to cup badly after just a moderate number of miles. +10 for Michelin Pilot Roads. Went to PRs after many miserable years with Dunflops on my 95 VFR. Will never get anything less than PRs in the future!

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Beck said:

Don't bother with Dunflops, they tend to cup badly after just a moderate number of miles. +10 for Michelin Pilot Roads. Went to PRs after many miserable years with Dunflops on my 95 VFR. Will never get anything less than PRs in the future!

I've had two sets of dunlops. One came with one of the bikes, one I put new on the 4th gen. Both front tires cupped. But I think I got around 8k+ on the 202s before I replaced them. They were cupped pretty bad, but I didn't really know since I was just commuting to work and riding slow at the time.

I was really happy with the Pirelli Rossos. But I was also trying to more sport riding than touring. The GTs are meant for all-round riding.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/10/2017 at 9:25 PM, Beck said:

What's a "moderate number of miles?"  The first set of Roadsmart 2's on my '95 did 6000 miles before the front started to square off.  It was fine above 20 mph, but below that in town on turns it  was hard to turn once they got to 6000 miles.  My second set have done 8000 miles so far and still exhibit "normal" behaviour.  Still think there's 2 or 3 thousand left in them.  Having a sport bike also and only getting 3 to 3500 miles out of a set of sport tires I'm more than happy with the Roadsmart 2's.  I had Michelin Road tires on an SV1000 and must confess that when I sold it with only 4400 miles on it the tires looked like new.  After Dunlop my next choice of tire brand would be Michelin.

Archived