Let's see your third gens (and list the mods!)

As per the title, let's see your third gens and a list of the mods you've made....

Here's mine:

37457619980_b8dd72335b_k.jpg

37715067561_f7a09a0d4c_k.jpg

37044750453_858b148082_k.jpg

37666757576_c70bfbfd1a_k.jpg

37666758126_c16db1159d_k.jpg

37683147902_e0906d332e_k.jpg

37044739143_dc77240743_k.jpg

Mods:

• Respray in ice white with gold flake (Toyota paint as far as I remember, wish I had the paint code!)
  • Skidmarx double bubble screen
  • Clear indicators all round
  • Aftermarket mirrors (will be swapping these out for VFR800fi versions soon)
  • Full Sebring left exit exhaust
  • Dynojet kit (120 mins if memory serves)
  • Lite Tek carb seal kit (ethanol proof!)
  • Later Honda circular tank badges
  • VFR800 decals
  • VFR rim decals
  • Maxton revalved/resprung front forks
  • Brembo goldline calipers with required bracket
  • GSXR1000 K3/K4 MC (this'll be swapped out for a coffin style MC at some point next year)
  • PR4 tyres (180 rear)
  • Desnorkled airbox
  • 4th gen front wheel

Plans are to have the Brembos painted so they're fresh, powdercoat the brackets black. Maxton rear shock to match the front, VFR800fi mirrors, I also want the clear LED brake light from Thurn. I'm taking a welding course soon so I think I'll build a much lighter subframe to retain the stock fairings as I love the way it looks, this'll be the best weight saving exercise I think?

Lemme see what you got :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here's my 1990. It has 45,000 kms on it. I have put a Powerbronze touring screen on it (thanks Michael), done the three yellow wire mod, put on a mosfet R/R, put on a combo 12V & USB power outlet, GoPro mount and Ram GPS/phone mount. It came with a Supertrapp muffler. I have always loved the Supertrapp mufflers (put one on my race car - great for tuning with the Weber carbs). It runs and sounds AWESOME! I have a ZZR1000 shock with 1200 kms on it and 1986 VFR750 dogbone to put on with the original VFR spring - maybe this winter.

15030041a.jpg

15030042a.jpg

15030063a.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 11/7/2017 at 11:13 AM, 750 said:

No? 

Your bike's just too nice.  How can I compete with that?!?

Mine's in pieces, but if I ever get it back on the road I think I might win on mods... :wink:

Ciao,

3 hours ago, JZH said:

Your bike's just too nice.  How can I compete with that?!?

Mine's in pieces, but if I ever get it back on the road I think I might win on mods... :wink:

Ciao,

Still going for the VFR1200 front?!

• Member Contributer

They are long gone now, but here are my red '91 and black '92.

Bought 2nd hand in 1993. The next day, taking the long route home I stopped at the Bremerton, Wash., navy yard for some pics. That is BB-62, the battleship New Jersey in the background.

1991 VFR750 Bremerton.jpg

My '92 VFR was 12 years ld when I got it in late-2004. Swapped on a spare grey seta and changed to the Euro-spec decals. Beautiful light that day at Beacon Hill park in Victoria, BC.

1992 VFR750 Victoria.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 11/8/2017 at 10:28 PM, 750 said:

Still going for the VFR1200 front?!

Yep.  There were some clearance issues, but I think I have solved them.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I'm not using VFR1200 forks, just the triples, the only reason being that they have a 35mm offset, which is closer to the OEM 40mm offset than the 30mm offset of the SP1/929/254 family.  I had to modify the main fairing stay in four places in order to clear the forks and triples, mainly using a cut-off wheel on a grinder and a hammer and heat to bend some of the tubing out of the way.

The lower triple has 55mm fork openings, and SP1/929/954 forks are 54mm OD, so I'm using 0.5mm shims--an easy solution devised by Ken. 

One other thing Ken discovered: VFR1200 forks are Kayaba, not Showa--the manufacturer of every other Honda fork I have in my possession!  It means that VFR1200 fork parts are not interchangeable with most other fork parts, which is a difference I'd prefer not to deal with.

Ciao,

My 93 viffer, list of mods:

• VTR Firestorm front shocks and brake calipers
  • Carbon front fender
  • RC36-2 front rim
  • Black powder coated rims
  • Progressive front springs, racetech internals
  • Braking wave discs
  • Double bubble screen
  • Garmin nav
  • Gear indicator
  • Steelflex braking lines
  • Intake snorkel removed, intake protected
  • K&N air filter
  • Dyno jet carb set
  • Stainless steel exhaust
  • Carbon wrapped lower fairing
  • Y2K mirrors
  • Fireblade rear shock with Ohlins spring and internals
  • Back end +18mm height on shockmount
  • Seat with gel pads
  • Scott oiler
  • Small computer fan on voltage regulator
  • Alarm with motion sensor
  • Rim stickers, HRC
  • Latest: custom made RC36 anniversary stickers

This bike handles like a dream on Metzeler M77 supersport tyres and the modded suspension.

Braking is up to date with these discs, calipers and sintered braking pads. No fading anymore!

I don't like loud pipes so the muffler is original. But the sound is very nice with the stainless header pipes without the bulky collector, and the increased intake sound without the snorkel.  Midrange power increased quite well with the exhaust mod.

20170721_145313.jpg

20170729_151019.jpg

20170721_145328.jpg

On 11/12/2017 at 11:11 PM, JanTheVifferFan said:

My 93 viffer, list of mods:

• VTR Firestorm front shocks and brake calipers
  • Carbon front fender
  • RC36-2 front rim
  • Black powder coated rims
  • Progressive front springs, racetech internals
  • Braking wave discs
  • Double bubble screen
  • Garmin nav
  • Gear indicator
  • Steelflex braking lines
  • Intake snorkel removed, intake protected
  • K&N air filter
  • Dyno jet carb set
  • Stainless steel exhaust
  • Carbon wrapped lower fairing
  • Y2K mirrors
  • Fireblade rear shock with Ohlins spring and internals
  • Back end +18mm height on shockmount
  • Seat with gel pads
  • Scott oiler
  • Small computer fan on voltage regulator
  • Alarm with motion sensor
  • Rim stickers, HRC
  • Latest: custom made RC36 anniversary stickers

This bike handles like a dream on Metzeler M77 supersport tyres and the modded suspension.

Braking is up to date with these discs, calipers and sintered braking pads. No fading anymore!

I don't like loud pipes so the muffler is original. But the sound is very nice with the stainless header pipes without the bulky collector, and the increased intake sound without the snorkel.  Midrange power increased quite well with the exhaust mod.

20170721_145313.jpg

20170729_151019.jpg

20170721_145328.jpg

Looks nice, what brand are the discs?

• Member Contributer

Very nice 3rd Gens!

I have some RC51 calipers to mount on mine. Bike is down at the moment, needs R/R (again) and/vfrness, plus I bought the Lite Tek kit. Really need to sort the carbs as it has never run perfectly.......I will hit you guys up once I get it apart.

Mods:

Two Bothers Header/Left Exit Pipe

Carbon Header Wrap

Factory Racing Jet Kit

Factory Racing Ignition Advance

K&N Filter / De-snorkeld Air Box

Jim Lindeman Modified Fork/Springs

Jim Lindeman Modified Rear Shock

ZX-7R  Clutch and Brake Master Cylinders

GSXR 750 Tach and Speedo

Custom Triple Clamp

Honda Rear Cowl

Polished Frame

Polished Forks

Polished Swingarm

Polished Rearsets

Decals Deleted

Zero Gravity Windscreen

VFR800 Mirrors - (not pictured)

Bigger Rear Sprocket

Coming Soon:

VFRness

Lite Tek Carb Kit

Re-Spray

RC51 Brakes

Sort Carbs

Wish List:

USD Forks

gallery_33430_7623_2927760.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 11/19/2017 at 11:04 AM, 750 said:

Wow, why would you want to respray that. Looks VERY clean!

Also, why the change to the alternative master cylinders?

Since the picture was taken last year, a crack has developed in the rear by the seat cowl, as the inside "loop" that goes around the grab-handle bolt broke, and left a weak spot. I took the pic at the best angle, the paint is 25 years old, so it's time......it does not look as good in person as it does in the picture.

When I built the bike in my early 20's, I wanted an RC30, but $13K for a bike was a ton of cash when I was that age. I liked the bike but wanted a racy-er look, so I did the mods to the tach, speedo, triple clamp and brakes to get the remote reservoirs. Then I polished the frame, and it made the fork, swingarm and other bits look dull, so I kept going....Sometimes I want to put it back to stock as I still have all the parts in the rafters, but my son likes it the way it is, and says people freak out when he tells them it is a 27 year old bike. He is riding it now, as my wife said I had to sell a bike in order to buy the RC51, so I "sold" it to my 18 yr old son, who still lives here. I love finding a good loophole, but my wife just gave me a frown......

After seeing your bike, I think I will hunt down a later front wheel to use with the RC51 brakes. Keep thinking about fitting a USD fork, but it handles so incredibly well already, I really don't feel the need - but it would really update the look of the bike.

Do you remember where you got the rim decals from? They really look sharp on the white wheels!

For all I've read about fork choices...USD just isn't a great idea. Too short, too stiff for the frame...etc, etc.

But then I've also been told they transform it. I think it's very subjective.

• Member Contributer

Is the 4th Gen wheel, a straight swap except for brakes and rotors? Is the 5th gen the same as well?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

You can fit the 4th gen wheel and discs directly onto the 3rd gen forks--they're essentially the same forks.  

However, to fit RC51 calipers (or any other calipers, really) onto RC36 forks you will need adapters.  Perhaps the easiest "adapter" is to use VTR1000F Firestorm forks or fork bottoms, like on Jan's (and my) 3rd gen.

USD forks aren't anything but bling on a 3rd gen VFR...but they're a really good bling.  This is TheStig's.  Mine is similar, but I've got an Italian red front mudguard and a six-spoke SP1 front wheel.

DSC_7380_zpsrahutrg7.jpg

Ciao,

19 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Is the 4th Gen wheel, a straight swap except for brakes and rotors? Is the 5th gen the same as well?

Thanks!

As above, yep...bolts right in with no mods required.

An even easier mod than the Firestorm lowers is the brackets I have with the Brembo goldlines...probably about the same price but doesn't require anything other than a bit of unbolting/bolting back up and a better master cylinder plumbing in (which you'd need to do with the Firestorm calipers anyway)

Archived