project 86 750

3dcycle

• Member Contributer

So some have seen my RWB 800 build thread on here mostly last year with the 10 spoke conversion  which by the way gets tons of compliments everywhere I go, and people as me if its a older bike (86-87) as that's what they had or a friend had 30 years ago, or they all think its brand new because it looks so good. everyone is always surprised when I say its a 2007. but anyways it always gets me thinking about the original RWB. now I been looking for a 87 to make it 25 year to my 07, but I found a 86. so I grabbed it.

so 5 hour round trip after work yesterday and I get this59e3faf73cb20_IMG_03411.thumb.JPG.baee71d187d9ac98bbd70d0081800658.JPG59e3fb155b3f1_IMG_03421.thumb.JPG.b625e3ea8153c80f5c79202dff0823fd.JPG

yup a beat to hell vfr750 with every single piece of plastic broken brakes are sticking seat is junk, tires are 15 years old, fork lowers are corroded to hell, wheels are pitted pretty bad. seat latch broken windshield is clouded over, gas tank has a few dents in it and a half dollar size blob of jb weld stuck to it..... so a perfect project for me. this will be a very long term project as funds are available for this bike, I have a 92 that needs some tlc to get back on the road next year, before I dig to deep here.

The first thing I wanted to do though was wash it and get it running to make sure she is worthy.... I know this video sucks but let me tell you what, she is worthyIMG_0354[1].MOV

• Member Contributer

She will be saved, got it running tonight, dumps gas very quickly. I need to get a two brother left side exit on my 92 vfr and a few other projects first

Looks like just about every one I've ever gotten. The taped up rear turn signal in the video is classic. Have fun!!

JOE in IL

V4Dreams.com

• Member Contributer

image.thumb.jpeg.c17f0f5cdd2dd2c368aa7ab0be365208.jpeggot the carbs out last night, want to clean them up so it will idle on its own. 

Yes there is a acorn shell in the intake I got it all cleaned up though.

also if you like the tape holding the blinker on you will love that they used a coat hanger to hold the tail light assembly on by hooking it to the blinkers. Will get a picture of that tonight for your viewing pleasure.

one more thought I had, would it be against the rules to powder coat the frame and swing arm black to match my 07? Or does it need to stay silver lol

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

one more thought I had, would it be against the rules to powder coat the frame and swing arm black to match my 07? Or does it need to stay silver lol

I want to do the same thing on an 86 I am starting a restore on too, the anodizing on the frame and swingarm is so stained and cloudy.  And I don't want to polish and maintain them (and getting thru that anodizing is a bitch!).  But I want to paint a satin black finish, not powder coat, because I have limited funds for yet ANOTHER rebuild.  Plus I'm tired of powder-coaters getting it everywhere it shouldn't be and cleaning up their shitty masking.

• Member Contributer

I do my own powder coating so money, quality not a issue there, just don't want to upset the balance of the universe, bad things could happen

;)

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, 3dcycle said:

I do my own powder coating so money, quality not a issue there, just don't want to upset the balance of the universe, bad things could happen

;)

OK then, one vote to proceed to keep balance.

+1

Oh, and a question:  How are you going to prep?  Media blast or etch or... ?

• Member Contributer

Media blast.

i would like to see one with a black frame. But the silver just looks so damn timeless and great when all cleaned up

• Member Contributer

Ok, thanks.  Well, I have 3 already with the original finish, so I'm gonna do it. 

But I did always think that Honda fucked up in 2007.  The R/W/B should have been silver and that beautiful Dark Red should have had the black frame.

• Member Contributer

Now let's not start counting how many times Honda phucked up...

i mean wtf 2017 35th anniversary anybody??

and I still think i will be going black on mine, unless you do yours first and it looks like shit, then I will go silver lol

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

Media blast.

i would like to see one with a black frame. But the silver just looks so damn timeless and great when all cleaned up

They make clear powdercoat, but I don't know how good it looks.  If it were mine and the clear powdercoat looks good, I'd stay with silver and the tough decision would be whether to keep the classic 16/18" wheels and shod it with BT45's, or make the conversion to 17/17" and have a full spectrum of radials to choose from. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tbzep said:

They make clear powdercoat, but I don't know how good it looks.  If it were mine and the clear powdercoat looks good, I'd stay with silver and the tough decision would be whether to keep the classic 16/18" wheels and shod it with BT45's, or make the conversion to 17/17" and have a full spectrum of radials to choose from. 

Yeah, but you still have to get the clear anodizing off, to then polish, before clear powder coating.  I've done just a swingarm and kept it just polished...  holy shit, it was a lot of work.  Can't even imagine doing a frame myself.  Please don't tell me, 3d, that you own a polishing company.

And the 17/17 is magical on these bikes, I fairly recently finished one.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy riding the shit out of my 16/18(&17)" combos.

• Member Contributer

Made some progress tonight cleaning carbs. Started with 4 that looked much like this guy.image.thumb.jpeg.43ec1c684735409cbe3af07ded581778.jpeg

well 2 hours later I got thisimage.thumb.jpeg.df9695f55f93785122fe22e292824061.jpeg

so now my question is this,

does this appear to have a dynojet kit it in? These don't look like Honda needlesimage.thumb.jpeg.46bd8d01f1ab961693f67fb05b5d3abd.jpeg

also the main jets are 118image.thumb.jpeg.7d7ae2432d7083b9593dc9da682f7946.jpeg

pilots are 38

and while I have your brains working how the hell do you get to the fuel screws while on the bike? I have never seen them on the in board side of the carb like this. Can I just heat up the limiter caps and remove them like on more modern bikes?

• Member Contributer

Lol that's what we took from that?

none really there may be a few kicking around in the shop, radio is on every night though still works great 

• Member Contributer
42 minutes ago, 3dcycle said:

What year fairings fit this bike

86-87+?

700-750 

missing any?

700 fairings fit the 750 but you lose the 750 part of the decal and it just says VFR. If you paint it, it won't matter.   88-89 has tucked turn signals and some other changes to the fairing and rear subframe.  The frame/subframe are very close but not absolutely identical.  It would be a nice way to lose the tail light stalks if the back half of the plastics would fit, but overall I like the 86-87 fairing better, even with the stalks.  The two generations have the same RC24 designation so somebody here has probably looked into grafting body work.  From 90 on up the VFR has big changes to both frame and plastics.

• Member Contributer

Can these tanks be coated inside? My tank has some rust, I have coated in the past but this has the peacock tubes inside

• Member Contributer

You can just swap the locations of the float bowls and the limiting tabs are defeated so the caps can stay.  It makes getting on them with a long screwdriver a little easier.  Don't forget, the slide springs are actually different front and rear, slightly longer go in front.  And I would 100% replace the fuel tube o-rings while they are on the bench, it is time.

Put 42s in my latest 86, bit it has a Kerker 4-2-1 slip on with a large Sudco can.  And pretty sure I'm on 120s (edit:  pretty sure 125 mains, need to check my notes). Runs perfect with my setup.  Stock needles shimmed with one of the washers from the pilot screws.  Slide holes not drilled bigger.

I wouldn't line that tank.  It has a screened fitting on the end of the pick up tube.  I think you can just see it with the sending unit removed, maybe I had to use a dental mirror.  Clean the best you can or perhaps use the electrolysis method.

You can't mix and match 86/87 with 88/89 front fairings.   They split at different locations.  The rears have different sub frames too as mentioned, and the Euro models incorporated grab handles.  Unless I was gifted a non-US set, I'd stick to 86/87.

• Member Contributer

Good info, thanks. I am not splitting carbs yet, this is just to get it to idle on it own, was using carb clean to make it run b4. When it comes back in for the real project it will for sure get all new o-rings gaskets seals and what not.

Archived