RS850 Replica

trooper1999

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's either a labour  of love or the owner need psychiatric help :491:

Not managed to get much done this week, managed to get the rear brake and wheel sorted and all spacers made up.

Started to order exhaust bends to get on with that, made a little headway with the bodywork but nothing definite yet, I will make the rear exhaust as a temporary job and alter it later if needed, I just need to get some stainless wire for my MIG welder, I'm going to tack it together and then get it TIG welded up.

My plan is to get the engine running in this frame by the end of the year,  I'll post some more photo's when there is more progress to see

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I've had a good result today and managed to get hold of a genuine seat for a RS850, collected it today and the same guy says he has a fairing that he would sell as well but he needs to dig it out, I'll try and get some photo's of the seat in a 1st fitting later this week.

I've been really busy with work so not managed to get anything done over the last few week, but hopefully things should start to move a little. Friday I managed to get a start with the rear exhaust, but part way through ran out of gas for the welder, so I spent a good couple of hours sorting that out.

I need to get my finger out and get some work done or this will take me for ever 

• Member Contributer

Nice work so far. The mechanical talent on this forum is beyond words. Good job!

56 minutes ago, trooper1999 said:

Yes for my sins I have these in the garage

No sin to have a few FZ´s arround, I would like one to!

Great looking bikes I think!

Stunning these old pirt still arround, wounder where the rest of the bike is?

Nice find fo sure!

I think I've been bad, I have just bid and won these on evil bay, it will involve JUST a little more work to swap the complete front end AGAIN

But they will look a lot better and more in keeping with the time line, so all the work to make the longer steering stem and caliper bracket is now not needed and I will have to make the lot again, hopefully the steering stem will be OK but just got to wait until they are shipped from the USA.

forks.jpg

• Member Contributer

It will be a bolt-on for the VF750 frame and the steering stops look nearly identical, both on the frames and lower clamps.

So, same calipers you had, with some new custom brackets? 

Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators and eliminate the TRAC?

• 1 month later...

I've not had much chance to get anything done for weeks (works keeps getting in the way, oh the joys of being self employed) Just a quick update then, I've managed to get the VF1000R fork and yokes in, along with the wheel and spacers made to get the wheel centered, I need to sort out the clip on's, and make the new brake adaptors.

IMG_1804.thumb.JPG.95fbf00eb11376e522f518f923fb11b8.JPGIMG_1806.thumb.JPG.93146015b70ac79edb9f3b31975f5ea7.JPG

I've started to try and teach myself TIG welding and have made a start on the rear exhaust, I need the pig tail in it to gain the length, I've just ran out of argon so that's my next job, get more argon. I'll try and get some more done and more posted.

IMG_1802.thumb.JPG.ce0490d55c83eb1268b82be952add50c.JPGIMG_1803.thumb.JPG.e4b3ff1d3684276ddc4714c2e92f6c31.JPG 

• Member Contributer

What are you using to cut the tubing, if I may ask?  I recently acquired a really cool vertical, metal-cutting bandsaw (two of them, actually, but I'm only keeping one!) because cutting metal has always been a massive headache for my fabrication projects.  Very ambitious to start TIGing on a complex exhaust system, but I'm reminded of a van Gogh quote: "I am always doing what I can't do yet, in order to learn how to do it."  (I'm of the same view...)

Ciao,

53 minutes ago, JZH said:

"I am always doing what I can't do yet, in order to learn how to do it." 

I like that.

A well tuned bandsaw is a great way to cut tube. What kind of saws did you get? PM me if you like 

Sorry nothing as high tech as a band saw only an old fashioned hacksaw with a fine toothed blade in it, and a little bit of filing after to get the edges to meet better, I'm off work today, with everybody else at work I can play most of the day so am getting on with the rear exhaust, I'll post a couple of pics later, writing this with a cuppa tea in my hand. who said men can't multi task?

• Member Contributer

Gotcha, I was just noticing the little gaps, same as I always got from hand-sawing, which in theory make welding more difficult.  But it's good to see that you can compensate for this by spending a bit more time on the filing.  In any case, you're doing well!

Ciao,

Hi @trooper1999

I'm very interesting about your project ! I tried myself to put an RC24 engine into RC15 frame but I found one major problem.

As you can see on this picture in an other thread RC24 engine in RC15 frame the chain sprocket output shaft is much higher than the stock one (approx 5 cm). Without major modification on the RC15 frame to lower the RC24 engine I cannot align it with the swing arm center bolt pattern. The result is that the chain is sliding too much on the swing arm. More RC24 covers are touching the lower square tube of the frame both sides.

How did you solve this problem ?

Best regards,

Hi I have lowered the engine into the frame as low as possible, by re positioning the lower engine mounts, an other issue is that the output shaft is shorter on the RC24 than  the RC15 engines. It's still a bit high but should be ok 

Thanks for that info I'll have to have a good look at RC30 sprockets when I'm ready, I've had quite a good but frustrating week with the Tig welding, some of my welds are ok but some will need tidying up, I've been having trouble welding the rear 2 into 1 joint piece so I've given in and it's gone off to the professionals, started on the front now, I've got one side made up with only slight modification from the standard, I will start on the other hopefully tomorrow and try and get them both into the 2 into 1 collector. I'm just ordering more bends now but it looks like they won't be here until mid next week. I've been looking at silencers and have found these on evilbay has anybody had any dealings with them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXTEK-GP1-Matt-Stainless-Steel-GP-Stubby-EXHAUST-Silencer-51mm-Slip-On-End-Can/152273850553?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Archived