RS850 Replica

trooper1999

I've started to build a RS850 replica from a VF750F chassis and using a VFR750 RC24 engine.

I've replaced the front end with one from a Triumph T595, using this one as it's one of the largest right way up fork set up with full suspension adjustment, I had to extend the steering stem but the bearings are the same size, I'm also having a new top yoke made with a step down to give more fork length. Installed CBR600 front wheel, disc's etc and made some brackets to install a set of 4 pot Nissin's, using Brembo master cylinders for both the brake and clutch.

I've installed the RC24 engine (due to the RC15 engine being shot) with a little frame mod, I had to remake some engine mounting bracket and still have to make the rear one, I'll probably wait untill I've sorted the exhaust out. Tack welded some bracing in around the head stock, started to make up some brackets for the the coils , ECU etc. I've cut and welded some brackets for the rearsets.

At the rear I plan to replace the rear shock with a new adjustable one, I've installed the CBR600 rear wheel and have started to make up the bracket to hold the rear Brembo caliper.

I'm hoping to be collecting some copies of genuine RS850 body work over the next few weeks, but have only just started to look out for a fuel tank as I don't like the look of the standard VF one and the VFR one doesn't fit very well.

I will try and post updates if anybody is interested in the build.

_MG_0188.jpg

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1707_LI.jpg

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

That is an epic project, I'm sure there will be many people watching this.

Congrats.

I really like the forks.

• Member Contributer

The Triumph forks look butch enough, but even better if you can paint them that grey/green colour and a set of Showa stickers.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Yes I agree about the forks, I'm planning to try and machine the ridges off them and get some Showa stickers, I would have liked some correct forks but those are out of my budget range. Spent a good couple of hours yesterday making the rear caliper bracket out of 10mm thick aluminium plate trying to mill external radius's by hand (not an easy job).

I'm off to Stafford classic bike show this weekend coming up to see what goodies I can get, i'll be looking at petrol tanks mostly.

• Member Contributer

And I thought there was something wrong with me doing a swingarm swap to the VF.... You're doing a transplant! Awesome, going to be watching progress.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, trooper1999 said:

I would have liked some correct forks but those are out of my budget

No doubt they'd be $$$ - if you could even find a set. Gotta love the QD axle clamps - Honda used them on the RC30 as well.

But don't sweat the pricey mods, I really like the idea of creating a replica using only a modest budget. Best wishes on your project.

19 hours ago, Forbes said:

And I thought there was something wrong with me doing a swingarm swap to the VF.... You're doing a transplant! Awesome, going to be watching progress.

What swinging arm are you using in your swap? have you photo's?

Todays update, Managed to obtain a VFR400 NC30 fuel tank but not sure about it's use, it looks about 50mm (2") short might have to look into getting it extended or the standard VF tank altered, I will have a chat the a guy I know which he thinks is going to be easier.

Also attached a photo of the rear caliper bracket just needs some modifications to it and the caliper to allow it to clear the wheel

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

Neither fit with the air box in place I plan to make the whole area above the front cylinder and onto the carb top casting and the underside of the tank a air box, as it's not planed to be used on the road .I'm not too worried about using no airbox

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Lorne said:

No doubt they'd be $$$ - if you could even find a set. Gotta love the QD axle clamps - Honda used them on the RC30 as well.

But don't sweat the pricey mods, I really like the idea of creating a replica using only a modest budget. Best wishes on your project.

And the early CB1000F "Big One".  Very long forks--I have a pair somewhere.  But they are otherwise not at all the same as the RC30's!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

And the early CB1000F "Big One".  Very long forks--I have a pair somewhere.  But they are otherwise not at all the same as the RC30's!

Ciao,

I've had my eye out for some time for some "Big One" forks.   Haven't even come close.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, trooper1999 said:

Neither fit with the air box in place I plan to make the whole area above the front cylinder and onto the carb top casting and the underside of the tank a air box, as it's not planed to be used on the road .I'm not too worried about using no airbox

Got it.  Had a feeling it wasn't an issue.

• Member Contributer

What swinging arm are you using in your swap? have you photo's?

CBR 600 F '2000' swingarm is 10 mm wider than the frame opening. I've had two sets of custom bolts made up, next project, I've modified the frame on the right a bit. Sebspeed shaved a bit off the swingarm on one of his projects....39d7e8372bd351db1527ec776f7b027f.jpg9c2cee686f9be9a75ab4a2a11c9df428.jpga1407b1ed3f9103981c16807a2585bf1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cool idea. I removed the right side "cage" and left side boss from the frame for my VFR swingarm swap...no worries.

• Member Contributer

That looks bloody amazing - will be watching with interest. 

Huge respect for anyone tackling projects with a limited budget. It means you have to think a bit more and be creative. 

Godspeed!

Stray

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've had a busy week at work so not been able to do much to the RS this week and next week will be even worse, but just to give you an update, I've made some progress on the fibre glass front, met a great guy at Stafford show who has a Genuine RS850 and he was very forth coming with info about the genuine bike, he said he may be up for me to get copies of his body work made. Managed to get the rear brake caliper fitted just need to make a mounting arm for the caliper. started work on the exhaust pipe, oh my life the rear isn't going to be easy, I'm going to order some pre-made bends and other parts and try and mock up a system, still on with making small brackets for this and that, going to order a pair of alloy VFR400/NC30 radiators and that will mean more brackets.

Looks like a long night on the internet shopping is in store for me. 

Has anybody got any ideas on trackday tyres 120/17/17 front, 160/60/17 rear

Archived