86 CB700SC - good second bike?

• Member Contributer

Looking for some info/advice -

For a while I've been looking for a second bike - something older (70s-80s), unfaired, attractive, interesting, and somewhat reliable (I know 30-40 year old bikes will require some hands-on but I don't want to spend all my time wrenching on it).

There's an 86 CB700sc (NightHawk S) for sale locally and it appears to meet the requirements. The current owner has done some recent maintenance - brakes, forks, head bearings. What concerns me is the shaft drive - I believe those parts are NLA. Is the drive longterm reliable? Anyone have any experience to share?

• Member Contributer

I’ve had two of them and wish I would’ve kept one of them. They’re awesome bikes. As far as I know, there are no long term issues with the shaft drive on them. Apart from a seal leaking from time to time, which should be readily available. 

Hydraulic valves, shaft drive, air/oil cooled, gear position indicator, fuel gauge, hard to go wrong with one.

• Member Contributer

I owned a CBX750F back in the day and it was awesome; this was an Interceptor-styled 1980's bike introduced between the demise of the VF750F and the intro of the VFR750 in 86, and used the same basic engine as the CB700/750SC. I was looking at buying another recently and so looked into the mechanical reliability a bit. The only part that seems to give mechanical trouble is the alternator drive chain, and this is a bit difficult to replace but the parts are available. The same basic engine is in the CB750F so parts shouldn't be too hard to come by.

• Member Contributer

Wonderful machines.  I worked at a Honda dealer for 12 years and they were pretty much bullet proof.  The only potential thing as stated above is the alternator chain on high mileage machines. Requires splitting the cases.  I have never seen an issue with the shaft final drive on them.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info everyone. Will see if the seller and I can agree on a sales price. I'll post pictures if it happens

Archived