Buying advice - 8th gen

faire

Hello all,

I could use your expert guidance!

The time has come, I think I'm finally going to replace my current trusty steed, a 3rd gen 1992 VFR750.  She still runs well but plenty of cosmetic wear and it's time to pass it on to a beginner rider.  After doing all the research to identify the next best motorcycle made since then ... I've decided that the 8th generation VFR800 is the one to buy.  To be honest, I was surprised at how little Honda has changed the VFR in 25 years.  All in all that's not a bad thing.  I am not interested in 200 more cc's and 50 more hp or anything like that.  But like everyone, I wish Honda would put some effort into weight reduction.

Anyway, now I have the big dilemma of whether to get a basic model or the DLX.  I am told the DLX offers 4 things: antilock brakes, traction control, heated grips, self cancelling turn signals.  My usage would include plenty of commuting in the city and weekend trips, mostly year round on everything from wet roads to high desert canyons.  From a 25+ year rider who isn't accustomed to  the DLX features, are these really worth the extra dough?  Warm hands are nice but aren't the heated grips an easy to install kit?  I like the idea of antilocks but i can't see the need for traction control at all.  Haven't had the chance to test ride the Deluxe model yet and unfortunately it sounds like ordering one means commiting to buy one.  Local dealer has a 2014 basic model on the floor for $8k (plus all the fees and taxes and stuff).  I inquired about a DLX model and was told they could get one, and the price would be about $10k plus fees/tax/etc, to be verified.  Seems like cycletrader has a few scattered around the nation for $1k or so less, though I infer some of these might be demo models with milage and some light wear.  Or is my local dealer too expensive?

Couple more questions:

- is the solo seat cowl standard equipment?

- is the centerstand standard equipment?

- has anyone fitted legacy Givi Monokey side cases (flat back like E21 and E360)?  My VFR750 currently has a Givi Wingrack & good condition hard cases that are fantastic.  Would anything stop me from transferring the old Givi kit over?  I know the side case & pannier rack design has changed from what I see on the Givi site, but how hard could it be to just form my own adapter fit kit to the Wingrack?  Anyone recommend other options?

Pix for your viewing pleasure:     OLD   /   NEW   glamour shots.  The more things change, the more the VFR stays the same!

honda-vfr-750-f-1992-246536.jpgvfr800-2014-black.png

Thanks for all your insights!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I just bought the Basic 8th Gen. from Glen Burnie Motorsports in MD. They have them advertised on Cycle Trader now for $6K. Might give you some bargaining power for your local dealer. It's about to be a 4 year old bike! I'm transitioning from a Gen. 6 and I couldn't be happier. I've been a motorcyclist for over 35 years and never had ABS so I don't really miss it. Never had heated grips or traction control either so also not that important. The center stand used to a cheap $60 upgrade but the kit was discontinued but I was able to piece one together but ran over $150! 

I was originally looking at the new Ducati SuperSport but my practical side caught a hold of me and I saved 10K on a VFR that will last the rest of my life! 

Hitting the Tail of the Dragon this weekend and will report! 

• Member Contributer

Good decision getting an 8th gen, I love mine.  Are you anywhere near Denver?   Getnoff recently bought a new base model 8th gen for $5,397 and ZERO fees there - just tax and tag extra - and rode it back home to Florida!  See this thread:  http://vfrworld.com/threads/any-difference-in-2014-and-2015-vfr800.54272/

In addition to the 4 things on your list the Deluxe also gets the center stand and adjustable suspension.   Rear seat cowl is standard on both.  Yes the center stand can be added to the base model but I've read it's a PITA to install as it requires dropping the exhaust, plus folks are having trouble finding them these days.  Yes the heated grips can also be added as an accessory to the base model.

Speaking of heated grips, there are LOTS of threads here dicussing the pros and cons of base v. deluxe if you scroll back through the 8th gen subforum so I won't beat that horse to death.  It's too bad we never got the black 8th gen in the USA like in your pic, or the silver '17 model for that matter.  But who needs black and silver when you can have the best color, pearl white :tongue:

IMG_2781.thumb.JPG.1819d1bc8299ef2b2d6c12b07ce87b0e.JPG

• Member Contributer

The DLX also has fully adjustable suspension compared to the std one.

Like Gator says if you decide you wish to purchase a centrestand for the std model you will have a few problems the main one being trying to get your hands on one and secondly having to remove the exhaust to install it. However you could try and include it in a deal breaker is you went for the std model.

Loads of threads on here going through the pros and cons.

I picked up a new old stock 2014 a month or so back.  $6k for the standard version with 0 miles on it.  I would have gotten the deluxe (simply for the ABS; I don't care one way or another about Honda TCS, center-stand, or heated grips), but I wasn't able to locate one for a comparably ridiculous deal like I got on the standard.  The front suspension isn't my favorite, but it's perfectly acceptable, and is breaking in and getting better.  A Daugherty Motorsports kit is around $600 and almost idiot proof to install if it really bugs you.  I have no idea about whether the Givi bags will carryover -- I ordered the OEM bags and key cylinders and keyed them to the ignition myself (took around 2 hours, mostly due to unfamiliarity with the process; it's really easy, just time consuming).  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, fatshoutybloke said:

As a Brit I didn't get the option but I'd buy ABS, heated grips and stand every time. Could live without the TCS. Don't regret upgrading from my 6th gen for an instant.

Agreed but it's the adjustable suspension that sealed the deal for me, the ride was just acceptable before tweaking it, now it's as good as I want it 

PS

Just reread your first post and you're in Seattle, know it well, lived on Fox Island for a few months 

Once you've got used to having 5 position heated grips you'll be using them a lot, just the thing on a cold foggy morning to have warm hands

Unless the driving standard has improved, particularly with the Boeing traffic, etc you'll really find out how good the ABS is in the first month and it's brilliant, makes the BMW system feel agricultural ...in the wet it has to be experienced to be believed 

Similarly the adjustable suspension, I set mine softer in the cooler weather as the tyres are a bit stiffer, etc, also adjusted stiffer when I take my grandson out ...if you plan on touring you'll be able to find a setting that spot on loaded, once you've shed the weight you just set it back to where you normally have it ... a 30 second job

I rode 101 last Fall up the coast from Arcata CA to Neah Bay WA on a Triumph 800XC, the  non adjustable forks on that just reminded me how rubbish it could be on a new motorcycle, I can't speak for standard VFR but the non adjustable units on the CBR500 are as bad as the Triumph 

At the end of the day, you want your bike to be able to do whatever you ask of it, the DLX will be all you ever wanted and it's already been assembled by Honda so is covered by warranty 

BTW there's plenty of spare power in the generator to run a heated jacket for extra toastie warmth 

Ah a fellow PNW VFR dude,  how cool.. Yea don't beat yourself up to much.   get the DLX. in WHITE ;)   interesting though how they are available at rock bottom prices everywhere else but here in the PNW.     When you ride this new version you be amazed how Acura it is compared to your 3rd gen, which is a hot rod and not afraid to let you know it.  What's the plans with the 92?  trade it in,  sell out right?

I have the OEM panniers and an OEM 45L top box. All keyed to the Honda ignition key. I love having just one key and I love the way the side panniers "mold" into the bike. The hardware is all integrated and they really suit the bike. This being said, I know there are more options out there that are larger, etc. For me, I use the cases about 35-40% of the time so they spend more time off than on. And since I plan to have the bike for a while, I dicided to "invest" in the OEM stuff as I find it looks best. I don't regret it. 

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Sorry this post is a random dump of my scattered thoughts,  but here goes...

Local dealer didn't have solo cowl installed, so that's something to track down.  It replaces the rear seat completely, right?

Can't blame Honda for the VFR front forks not being raceworthy, no matter what they do it's hard to be a sport-tourer and please everyone when laden weight might range from a svelt 50kg sportrider to over 150kg with luggage.  Despite some critics describing the VFR as "soft", I find it has way more front end manners than all the expensive liter+ adventure bikes that are being marketed so hard these days.  For those who care, it's on us to make the mods to optimize the ride for our specific needs.  A call to Daugherty might happen further down the line for the forks no matter what.  Thanks for pointing out the DLX has adjustability.  That sounds quite nice when loading up for a trip, that might be the decider to go DLX.

Speaking of mods, some things are just given.  Heavy Honda exhaust is one of the first things to go.  I will almost certainly ditch the center stand as well.  Got a work stand at home, no sense carrying around the weight.  I'm leaning toward Coffman's because of weight/size and ease of baffle mods.  People say the $$$ Arrow or $$$ TBR or $$$ Akro may sound better but are they 200% better?  Maybe Delkevic is the best tradeoff.  Youtube videos I've seen thus far are close to worthless in helping a person decide.  People: You may love your portable phones and GoPros for video recording, but please realize that the sound from those ultraportable electronic things SUCK.

I have had very good luck with my existing Givi cases.  I am leaning toward attempting a custom refit of my old Wingrack to the new VFR to allow the use of my current side cases or any other Givi version with the flat back mounting.  If that fails, then yes, Givi currently only recommends V35 side cases for the 8th gen VFR -- much cheaper than OEM Honda sidecases unless you guys know of a good bargain out there.

Sometimes living in provincial pacific northwest is just plain depressing.  Prices in central states & east coast are $1000 less than advertised here, and then the local dealers here tack on another $800+ in unadvertised setup fees.  Grrrrrr.  Makes me want to look at importing a Canadian model.

RVFR, sorry but white is just not the color. 

My old '92 has enough wear and tear that the dealer isn't willing to give me hardly anything for it.  I will probably end up selling it for pennies next spring.  I plan to ride it all winter as always.

GatorGreg - you really know how to accessorize your VFR!

:-)

6 hours ago, faire said:

Local dealer didn't have solo cowl installed, so that's something to track down.  It replaces the rear seat completely, right?

Yes, remove rear seat, grab handles unbolt and come off, small plastic inserts bolt on to cover where they were, and the cowl clips on in place of the seat.

8 hours ago, faire said:

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Sorry this post is a random dump of my scattered thoughts,  but here goes...

Can't blame Honda for the VFR front forks not being raceworthy, no matter what they do it's hard to be a sport-tourer and please everyone when laden weight might range from a svelt 50kg sportrider to over 150kg with luggage.  Despite some critics describing the VFR as "soft", I find it has way more front end manners than all the expensive liter+ adventure bikes that are being marketed so hard these days.  For those who care, it's on us to make the mods to optimize the ride for our specific needs.  A call to Daugherty might happen further down the line for the forks no matter what.  Thanks for pointing out the DLX has adjustability.  That sounds quite nice when loading up for a trip, that might be the decider to go DLX.

Speaking of mods, some things are just given.  Heavy Honda exhaust is one of the first things to go.  I will almost certainly ditch the center stand as well.  Got a work stand at home, no sense carrying around the weight.  I'm leaning toward Coffman's because of weight/size and ease of baffle mods.  People say the $$$ Arrow or $$$ TBR or $$$ Akro may sound better but are they 200% better?  Maybe Delkevic is the best tradeoff.  Youtube videos I've seen thus far are close to worthless in helping a person decide.  People: You may love your portable phones and GoPros for video recording, but please realize that the sound from those ultraportable electronic things SUCK.

I have had very good luck with my existing Givi cases.  I am leaning toward attempting a custom refit of my old Wingrack to the new VFR to allow the use of my current side cases or any other Givi version with the flat back mounting.  If that fails, then yes, Givi currently only recommends V35 side cases for the 8th gen VFR -- much cheaper than OEM Honda sidecases unless you guys know of a good bargain out there.

Sometimes living in provincial pacific northwest is just plain depressing.  Prices in central states & east coast are $1000 less than advertised here, and then the local dealers here tack on another $800+ in unadvertised setup fees.  Grrrrrr.  Makes me want to look at importing a Canadian model.

RVFR, sorry but white is just not the color. 

My old '92 has enough wear and tear that the dealer isn't willing to give me hardly anything for it.  I will probably end up selling it for pennies next spring.  I plan to ride it all winter as always.

GatorGreg - you really know how to accessorize your VFR!

:-)

Ah. all is good,   Mines RED! ;)    on a side noted FWIW, the center stand has come in handy more times than not,  so yea its a weight penalty but its down low. no biggie.  at the track I took some sharp edges off, out on the street it's a none issue.  

On 10/6/2017 at 3:41 AM, GatorGreg said:

Good decision getting an 8th gen, I love mine.  Are you anywhere near Denver?   Getnoff recently bought a new base model 8th gen for $5,397 and ZERO fees there - just tax and tag extra - and rode it back home to Florida!  See this thread:  http://vfrworld.com/threads/any-difference-in-2014-and-2015-vfr800.54272/

In addition to the 4 things on your list the Deluxe also gets the center stand and adjustable suspension.   Rear seat cowl is standard on both.  Yes the center stand can be added to the base model but I've read it's a PITA to install as it requires dropping the exhaust, plus folks are having trouble finding them these days.  Yes the heated grips can also be added as an accessory to the base model.

Speaking of heated grips, there are LOTS of threads here dicussing the pros and cons of base v. deluxe if you scroll back through the 8th gen subforum so I won't beat that horse to death.  It's too bad we never got the black 8th gen in the USA like in your pic, or the silver '17 model for that matter.  But who needs black and silver when you can have the best color, pearl white :tongue:

IMG_2781.thumb.JPG.1819d1bc8299ef2b2d6c12b07ce87b0e.JPG

Nice!!! I also have the Pearl white and I also agree it looks the best IMO. 

On 10/6/2017 at 3:35 AM, joepopp said:

I just bought the Basic 8th Gen. from Glen Burnie Motorsports in MD. They have them advertised on Cycle Trader now for $6K. Might give you some bargaining power for your local dealer. It's about to be a 4 year old bike! I'm transitioning from a Gen. 6 and I couldn't be happier. I've been a motorcyclist for over 35 years and never had ABS so I don't really miss it. Never had heated grips or traction control either so also not that important. The center stand used to a cheap $60 upgrade but the kit was discontinued but I was able to piece one together but ran over $150! 

I was originally looking at the new Ducati SuperSport but my practical side caught a hold of me and I saved 10K on a VFR that will last the rest of my life! 

Hitting the Tail of the Dragon this weekend and will report! 

Same here, went for a Demo Ride on the new Ducati Supersport when it came out, they are awesome, but boy are those expensive! So took the same practical decision as you. Looked up something that was similar to the Supersport and it reminded me of the 8th gen VFR that I totally forgot about and ended up finding one for almost 1/3rd of the price of the Supersport. 

Like Sweeper said, if you want to save money, get the Standard version. Like many have said already, you can find a good deal on the standard 2014's for around $6k. 

If you want more goodies out of the box, get the DLX. I would personally haggle the dealer to get a better deal though cause 10k+ is a lot of $$$$. At that point I would compare the DLX with other motorcycles before biting the bullet. I would be willing to invest in a DLX for $8k. There a couple of dealers in the SoCal area that have old stock DLX at that price. 

As for the weight of the VFR, the new gen is lighter than the 6th, but remember that these bikes are well balanced so it's still able to handle well and be planted. I have the standard and was fortunate enough to buy it with the center stand already. I truly appreciate the center stand. Only thing I would change on mine is probably purchase the spacers for higher handle bars down the road for easier 2 up riding. I've never ridden with ABS or heated grips so don't miss it, but then again, it doesn't rain much in my area and the cold temperatures are just in the morning commute. 

• Member Contributer

The new VFR performed wonderfully on the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala skyway. I also rode it 14 hours from the Tail to Brooklyn NY to beat the storm. I truly love the bike and you can't beat the price for a brand new bike! 

Current upgrades are: 

- Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tires

- Corbin Gunfighter and Lady Seat

Bike Master 90 Degree Valve Stems Size: 11.3MM

Akrapovic Slip-on Muffler

- Motopumps 1.25" Risers

- Ultimate Addons 17.5mm-20.5mm Motorcycle Bike Fork Stem Yoke Mount

-Travel Pack 08HME-MJM-TR14 - Victory Red (R334) - Ordered from the UK. Still waiting on the 45L Top Box.

Purchased but not yet installed 

- Quick Shifter 08U70-MJM-D11

- Speed Bleeders

2014 VFR 129Slayer Edit.jpg

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, joepopp said:

Current upgrades are: 

- Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tires

- Corbin Gunfighter and Lady Seat

Bike Master 90 Degree Valve Stems Size: 11.3MM

Akrapovic Slip-on Muffler

- Motopumps 1.25" Risers

- Ultimate Addons 17.5mm-20.5mm Motorcycle Bike Fork Stem Yoke Mount

-Travel Pack 08HME-MJM-TR14 - Victory Red (R334) - Ordered from the UK. Still waiting on the 45L Top Box.

Wow, that Travel Pack looks like a helluva deal!  Where did you get that idea/info?  It's about $2400 worth of stuff (retail) for about US$1600 plus freight at today's exchange rate.  Possibly less since I don't think we'd pay the VAT.  Even at Partzilla prices that would be over $1900 and that's with a 33L trunk.

What are you paying in USD for that including shipping??

Oh, and how do you like the Corbin?  Comfort?  Weight?  Fitment to the bike?  What made you buy it?

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, smoke4ndmears said:

Hard to see $1600 for what amounts to maybe $150 worth of technology being a deal. The pricing on luggage for this bike (and in general) is just absurd.

I don't disagree with the Honda pricing being absurdly high, especially for stuff like the $300 (!!!) mounting plate, or that back rest.  A hundred bucks for that effing back rest?  Really?  But given retail and prevailing discount prices for all those bits together, the US$1600 price tag is still a steal and becomes competitive with third party options.

As of right now, there's a new red VFR800FD (the Deluxe model) for sale on Cycle Trader for $7,999: https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Mad-City-Powersports-782402/listing/2014-Honda-INTERCEPTOR-DLX-VFR800D-123343965. This is an astonishingly good price. I bought one last spring for $8,999 and thought that was a deal. I ordered it with the quick shifter and the rear tire hugger. I use the center stand just about every time I park the bike. It also makes lubing the chain so easy I'm never tempted to skip or postpone that otherwise tiresome job.

The OEM luggage was a little small for my tastes so I had my dealer fit Givi V35s to the bike. No regrets. In addition to the luggage I've added: MotoPumps bar risers; Knight Design lowered pegs; a Givi 3D603 tank bag; T-Rex frame, front fork, and rear axle sliders; a Denali SoundBomb Mini horn; a Kaoko throttle lock; and right-angle valve stems for the Pilot Road 4 tires I bought after 300 unsatisfactory miles on the OEM tires.

IMG_20170822_185418.thumb.jpg.42217a7a4f4bc8ebedf2f753756a9855.jpg

IMG_7536.JPG

IMG_7540.JPG

IMG_7542.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7546.JPG

IMG_7549.JPG

IMG_7550.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 10/11/2017 at 5:00 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Wow, that Travel Pack looks like a helluva deal!  Where did you get that idea/info?  It's about $2400 worth of stuff (retail) for about US$1600 plus freight at today's exchange rate.  Possibly less since I don't think we'd pay the VAT.  Even at Partzilla prices that would be over $1900 and that's with a 33L trunk.

What are you paying in USD for that including shipping??

Oh, and how do you like the Corbin?  Comfort?  Weight?  Fitment to the bike?  What made you buy it?

Total price with shipping and Vat was $1331. This includes the 10% code (CBF10). I wanted the bigger top box so I researched Euro vendors. I wrote North West and said no problem to ship. I am still waiting on the top box (Shipping in November) but I don't need it until next summer so it was worth the wait for the price savings. I did get the rack carrier and adapter for the top box. The panniers integrate into the bike beautifully and there is no frame when you take them off. Very good looking. They are smaller than the Givis and you can't fit a full face helmet in either one but that is why I got the big top box for longer trips. 

I like the Corbin a lot! It does sit you back a little further than the stock seat but I have those tall Motopumps and I love the position. It is a one piece seat which differs from stock but is way more comfy! Easy on and off for battery access too. Full disclosure - they are a sponsor of mine for a web series I'm editing so I did not buy the seat. They also provided the seat for my 6th Gen. and I loved that seat as well! 

Archived