DCT model

I did have a manual VFR1200 - albeit I couldn't get on with it for some reason. Think I just lusted after something lighter and more rapid in the twisties.

However, I want to do some serious touring over the next few years and have been eyeing up the DCT. I simply can't be arsed with clutching and gear changes if I'm going to be riding for 8 hour stints (for example).

I appreciate the DCT is down on power in comparison to the manual...has anyone had both that can comment? I'm assuming a Guhl reflash would release those lost ponies and have it at the same power as the manual?

Also, what kind of highway, cruising fuel economy are people getting? 

Was there any major changes through the years - 2010 models with low miles seem vastly cheaper than later models!

Thanks in advance

• Member Contributer

Traction control was added in 2012 along with better software for the DCT.  It also got an improved saddle and slightly bigger fuel tank - see this thread:

• Member Contributer

I invested in new suspension on my F and it transformed the bike. Now feels like my old 800 Vtec did in the twisties but with shed loads more torque & power. Definitely not a pocket rocket sportsbike, but I didn't want that anyway.

I've tested a couple of DCT 1200s and was after one myself when I saw my current bike for sale and couldn't afford to miss the bargain she was. But after 14k miles, a lot of it touring, I don't find I have to use the gearbox very much, depending upon the roads; there's so much torque that you can easily be lazy with the gearbox and she still shifts.

I'm not sure how much you can mess with the ECU on the DCT; why not contact Don Guhl and ask him?

The latest (2016+ I believe) has a further improved DCT with 3-mode Sports and some sort of learning set-up so it learns the way you ride. Or sumfin'. Test models are few and far between; I contacted Honda UK and there was only 1 in the UK at Grantham Honda.

On my road trip from Minneapolis to Santa Fe, it seemed like the faster we went, the better my gas mileage got.  When we slabbed it across OK on the turnpike I believe I got about 55MPG while traveling at speeds I won't admit to on the interwebs.

edit: This was on my 2010 manual, loaded down with luggage, bone stock otherwise.

Archived