Skids

VFR800F 8th Gen Fuel Tank Vacuum Problems

5 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Nope. UK VFR 800F's have them to meet the "Euro 4" emissions standards.

Gonna post a pic as mine doesn’t appear to have one.  

Here it is. Well hidden though.

I'll quote from another forum how it works, as far as I can tell if it's a "Euro 4" spec it has this as a finished product...

"The EVAP canister has 4 opening in it. One is connected to the breather from the tank where the fuel vapour enters the canister. Another is the purge line where the vapour is drawn, via a solenoid valve, into the throttle bodies. The third is a fuel drain line, presumably in case the canister becomes saturated with vapour, which is open to air via a short hose. The last is the air intake where fresh air is drawn in as the vapour is sucked out. I've attached the diagram from the service manual. It looks to me like there would have to be 2 blockages for the canister to allow a vacuum in the tank: the fuel drain and the fresh air intake". Or the valve stuck with two blockages.

VFR800F-evap-1.jpg

Might be because the requirement came out in 2016, so 2015 bikes most likely needed it to be installed to allow them to be sold in 2016/17. The VFR 1200 hasn't got Euro 4 for some reason, and cannot be bought new anymore.

I'm not certain of this, but a 2014 version might well not have it installed?

Where did you get the fender extender from?

2 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

Not on mine...

EVAP.jpg

My 2014  doesn’t have it either.  Fische only shows it on 2017 models

5 hours ago, Sparticus said:

I'll quote from another forum how it works, as far as I can tell if it's a "Euro 4" spec it has this as a finished product...

"The EVAP canister has 4 opening in it. One is connected to the breather from the tank where the fuel vapour enters the canister. Another is the purge line where the vapour is drawn, via a solenoid valve, into the throttle bodies. The third is a fuel drain line, presumably in case the canister becomes saturated with vapour, which is open to air via a short hose. The last is the air intake where fresh air is drawn in as the vapour is sucked out. I've attached the diagram from the service manual. It looks to me like there would have to be 2 blockages for the canister to allow a vacuum in the tank: the fuel drain and the fresh air intake". Or the valve stuck with two blockages.

VFR800F-evap-1.jpg

Basically it’s the evap system that the Californians have insisted on for more than 2 decades. 😀. My bike doesn’t have it.

Evap. canister was just for Cali and swiss till 2017

Now all they get it  with new euro4 models 

I THINK 2014-2015 VFR800's are all 50 state models now - no difference between CA and the rest of the US?

13 hours ago, Sparticus said:

VFR800F-evap-1.jpg

Hi Sparticus.

Sorry but don't understand your reasoning for Two blockages. Surely tank Vacuum venting is via the fresh air inlet hose through the canister to the tank breather line. So if you are confident of no pinched or blocked hoses, then you should be suspicious of a faulty canister. Would imagine you should be able to blow air through the ait inlet hose of the canister and with your fuel cap open feel the air exiting right at the fuel cap coupling. 

Cheers.

I am suspicious of a faulty canister. It's just getting the time to pull it apart and have a look that I need. And as the bike is running fine with it effectively bypassed, the urgency has moved on somewhat.

And I may have found another tank, so I need to be sure it's "fixed" before I go that route. I think I'll be looking to remove the thing completely, bit more weight gone?