roblin31

Hi guys. I know Hondabond is the promoted sealant for case jointing when rebuilding these motors however it apppears to be a messy process, particularly in the warmer climates like we experience down under.
Is there any reason I can't use Loctite Master Gasket instead as it is designed for jointing of flange type surfaces? It is a much simpler sealant to use and negates the gumming risk in oil and water passages that the 3 bond type products present.

• Member Contributer

You can use anything that is designed for assembling motor cases.

Hondabond is liquid, so it's a lot easier to use, and stays semi soft so you can dismantle easily.

You only use a very small amount, I actually find some of the harder sealants harder to use as they don't spread easily.

Thanks VFROZ. Loctite 515/518 Master Gasket is a much thinner liquid than three bond and it doesn't go off in the presence of air. This means it remains totally usable until the joints are made and any excess that may drip into the crankcase, then doesn't dry up and clog the oil screen. That's one of the reasons I was wondering.

• Member Contributer

Interesting topic.. I wonder what everbodys favorite sealant and gasketing techiques would be? 

Archived