1998 Side Stand

wesburke

Hi there, 

Like a track noob I took off my side stand and picked up a single swing-arm pit bull stand. It looks all cool, but is overkill since I don't use/need tire warmers at my novice level. It's a pain in the arse when I am at the track by myself doing the single swing arm stand and was going to put back on the kick-stand. Though having the damnedest time remember how this thing goes back on. I have the 1998 manual, but not entirely sure where these springs need to attach or if I am missing parts? 

Side note: I do plan to keep the center stand off. 

By chance could somebody post a photo of their 1998 side-stand setup that I could gleam how to re-attach? 

W

@wesburke

IMG_3401.jpg

• Member Contributer

Good luck. As of last year I could not find a new OEM replacement for a worn out sidestand. Every where I looked it was labeled "obsolete" or some such name for not available. 

I did find one at a junkyard. I have worn out several. The pivot hole gets enlarged so the bike leans progressively more.

Thanks for the photo! It seems all I need to do is connect the spring, though it is almost as the spring is too long, and or the hooks are not facing the proper direction. Reviewing the service manually, I see this https://cl.ly/440J1r1x3l2z  but man would be rad to see the other side/breakout. 

Blargh, I am sure I am just missing something stupid/simple. ? 

• Member Contributer

Hey wesburke, I wonder if your spring might have been messed with, before you got the machine. Yours shows the upper end in the photo of the spring is split. My spring, having never been removed on my current ride, has that end of the spring tightly side-by-side to the end. 

Here is a link to the fiche showing the exploded view of the parts. Hope this helps. As I recall it was tough for me to stretch the spring into position. I'm not sure I remember if the sidestand was in the up position when I reinstalled the spring but I think the spring would be more relaxed in the up position allowing for a shorter pull. 

Archived