New Owner

07VFR03TLR

• Member Contributer

Justed traded my 2013 ZX14R for a 2013 VFR.  I wanted something that my wife could comfortably ride on with me.  I had an 07 800 a while back and was looking for some comfort for my beat up body.  What mods would you all recommend as a must for this bike?  I think a taller screen and a better seat might be in order.

Bill

• Member Contributer

I don't think there are any must do mods just whatever you need to make it suit your needs.  Getting the suspension upgraded is probably the most universally praised upgrade and also if it still has the OEM tires, switching to a better tire when those wear out to something like a Michelin PR4  or Dunlop Roadsmart 3.

• Member Contributer

Seat, suspension, and exhaust made the biggest difference to me.  All that is totally subjective, though.  The OEM tires were garbage.  

YMMV.

Welcome to the site... and let's see the bike!  :-)

LSL bar conversion to bring the riding position up a bit, and Knight Design lowered footpegs to ease the knees, and Givi windscreen for better wind protection.

Welcome to the forum!

My mods (and therefore the ones that I consider the most important):

Dam exhaust.  I can't bear to look at the stock at this point.  It's an abomination.  The Dam doesn't make the VFR1200 sound as good as my sixth gen VFR (NOTHING sounds that good), but it sounds beautiful.

Guhl reflash.  Turns the bike into the beast that it should have been from the factory.

Michelin PR4.  A marked improvement over the stock.  I can't comment on any other alternative.

I bought a tail bag, which suits me just fine, but I wish I had sprung for the factory bags.  I was kind of pissy at the time of finance negotiations and the dealer wouldn't budge.  That was dumb.  Get the bags if you haven't already done so.

LSL bar conversion to bring the riding position up a bit, and Knight Design lowered footpegs to ease the knees, and Givi windscreen for better wind protection.

Welcome to the forum!
And I'm thinking of how to lower the bars :-D

/R

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

In order of importance, my opinion:

1. better tires-Michelin PR4's

2. Get rid if the catalytic converter, there is plenty of information here on how to do it properly.

3. replace the ugly heavy stock muffler. The Dam muffler looks great but is to loud for my taste and will be aimed right at or near your wife's right foot.

4. get the stock ECU re-flashed by Guhl performance. This is the single most important thing you can do to improve performance. I am assuming performance is of some importance to you since you are coming off a ZX-14. The stock ECU restricts HP in 1st, 2nd, 5th gears and has a top speed limiter of 156 MPH if that concerns you. There are plenty of posts here on what the re-flash has done for guys that did it. 

Welcome.  I've a '12.  PR4s made the best improvement.   Helibars not quite touring positioncomfort.  v-stream touring very disappointing even with MRA-X extension.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. I think you made a great choice.

The most useful mods to I've made to my fifth gens (5 so far), in ascending costs order, are

-LED headlights ~ $100   This was an incredible increase in conspicuity and better, brighter coverage in the dark

- Givi Touring Windscreen ~$120  Great for reduced wind noise, and increased my gas mileage by 10% among other benefits

- fabulous suspension up grades from Daugherty Motor Racing (DMr)  ~$1300 installed new fork internals and rebuild Honda 929 shock. Steering now telepathic.

I also have had a Sargent Seat, mainly for looks. Comfort for me was good with either the OEM seats or Sargent

I had stainless brake lines installed but hard to evaluate performance changes since the fifth gen has fabulous brakes to start with. Rated 6th best of all production motorcycle braking from 60 to zero: 108.somthing feet.

I keep my engine and exhaust stock for environmental reasons.

• Member Contributer

You can see our mods list in my signature below. We put Givi Touring screen and helibars on wife's bike when we purchased. She is about 5' 9'. After five years of riding, we have removed the touring screen and replaced with Zero Gravity screen like the one on mine. She was getting a lot of wind buffeting on her helmet. Now the wind is more on the chest and helps keep weight off wrists and no more helmet buffeting. Next mod would be suspension upgrades from Daugherty Motor Racing as I see no upgrade to the model from Honda on the horizon. Hell, we might need to be on the soon to be announced new Goldwing because of failing health before Honda gets at another VFR1200 type of offering.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for all of the input.  The seat may be OK for me, but the wife wants one with a backrest to feel a little more secure back there.  I ride from Elgin, IL. to Missouri to get the bike in the same day to get it.  Was over 1K total.  That may have killed my backside for the ride back.  Left a 3:30 AM and got home at 11:30 PM.  That just may have been one of the dumbest things I've done lately.  The stock tires do blow.  They have  a strange profile compared to the Q3 on my BKing  and the S20 evos I had on the ZX.  Has anyone tried the roadsmarts?

I'll be doing a taller screen and the pegs first.  Maybe the re-flash as well.  Any good grip suggestions?  My hands seem to take the worst beating from the bike.

Bill

Archived