Looking for brake lever 1998 Honda VFR for Track

wesburke

Hi there, 

With the last track day this coming Saturday, I am in a pinch and need to replace my bent OEM brake lever for my 1998 VFR 800. I've been scouring the internet, but I know this is also the place to go and ask if in need. I've been staring at $200 replacements and even $10 replacements, though admittedly the point I am at is speed to get it to me before Thursday. I've been looking through Amazon with prime and seems I could get one here on Friday, heh with a quick turnaround for Saturday's track day. 

Any resources or suggestions? I would be cool with a simple OEM replacement. Or is this just a call to the local Honda shop on Monday morning to ask how soon/if they could get one over? 

Thanks for the time and happy riding! 

IMG_3371.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think the 5th gen levers are a bit unique. I'd call a dealer and see if they had one. Otherwise best bet is ebay or amazon with fast shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIKE-MASTER-53170-MAT-E01-FRONT-BRAKE-LEVER-97-03-CBR-1100-VFR-800-N-O-S-/253122738157?hash=item3aef4a77ed:g:5DQAAOSw9LZZpcoY&vxp=mtr

Honda OEM P# 53170-MAT-E01

It doesn't look unique to me, it looks exactly like my 1988 lever. As does the master cylinder, apart from the colour.

If I go to bike-parts-honda.com and put in 53170-MAT-E01, 53170-MJ4-701 or 53170-MWO-006, I get the same lengthy list of bikes on which this lever is used. The first number is the part number retrieved from the USA model VFR800 fiche and agrees with the earlier one. The other two are my 1986 and 1988 part numbers, respectively. Oddly, the VFR800 isn't on any of the lists, but I'll eat my hat if the lever isn't interchangeable between them all. This is clearly a part Honda used over and over again. The different numbers are probably different suppliers or some small cost-down changes, but they appear to be all interchangeable.

• Member Contributer

I'm with Yoshi on this, the 5G lever has a unique pushrod with a socket end. The CBR1100 are the only bikes that use it AFAIK.

Thanks for the fast replies... ? I am going to call the local dealer first thing in the a.m, if not will jump on the Ebay order. Excited to get the last track day in for the season here around Chicago. I've had this VFR for nearly 10yrs on the street (long distance), and she and I are new to the track this summer. It has been fun learn so much and represent the VFR! ?

W

@wesburke

My 1988 assembly is shown in the picture. David Silver Spares lists both an OE part and a reproduction part with the 53170-MAT-E01 number, and the cup feature on the adjustment rocker is clear in their pictures - I see the difference now, there is some hat-eating to be done; it's quite like the clutch lever on my bike but definitely not interchangeable as is.

The lever alone (53185-KVO-006) is also quoted as being widely used and is available on bike-parts-honda.com - no idea about their shipping time. I note the 1998 fiche doesn't list the lever separately, only the whole assembly.

Even if you could only get the wrong assembly you could use the new lever with your current adjustment rocker to put together an assembly that works. Or else just use one finger. ;-)

Good luck with your search!

20171001_115447.jpg

FWIW,  when I did the de-link,  I  used the master off a 04 CBR600f4i  My stock lever was in a bit better condition,  so I swapped em out with no ill effects. so yes other models use the same lever,  but bet it's a different part number :wacko: 

Archived