Advice needed on second bike

Greetings all,

I need some advice on a backup bike.  Looking to go smaller for a daily commute in PHX,  about 10 miles each way.  Traffic is horrible, and I would rather put the miles on a different bike.  I'm keeping the VFR for sure.  I dislike the cruiser riding position even though it's probably more comfortable, it's not for me.  Smaller sport bike is what I'm looking for.  Thoughts??

Thanks in advance,

DetroitRockCity

The cb500’s are great around town. I have the x and love the ergos for around town. Cheap too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I commute between NJ and Brooklyn, NY. Metro NYC traffic, lots of bumper-to-bumper and 90+ degree heat with high humidity. 

I carry leftover food between a school and homeless shelter few times a week, so I need large compartment for luggage.

I have commuted on Ninja 250 with good results, cheap to purchase, under $1k, and reliable, enough juice to outpace most vehicles from a standstill and up to 50 mph, which keeps you well ahead of traffic if need to. Good fuel economy, lightweight and nimble, narrow enough to go between car mirrors easily. 

UZ5pKff.jpg

After two years of commuting on Ninja 250, I got a chance to purchase a Burgman 650 for cheap, under $2k. 

It is triple digit speed capable, twist-n-go, clutch-less shifting, enough underseat storage for two full-face helmet. 

fxuIHN9.jpg

Drawback is that it is heavy, near 600 lb., cumbersome to maneuver if not under its own power.

But the weight is carried down low to the ground, makes the scooter very stable, at all speeds, just don't try to man-handle it with human strength.  

Still narrow enough to go between car mirrors and folding mirrors make it easy to get narrower. 

I enjoy the twist-n-go much better for riding in the city traffic, saves me lots of hand/grip strength at the end of day to ride other bikes that needs shifting. 

After I wore out the rear tire in about 8k miles, I put a car tire on the rear wheel, which I have done previously on Burgman 650s. 

For commuting purpose is an idea application, likely to get 20-30k miles out of one tire, likely the lifetime of this $2k scooter with the daily abuse I give to it.  

Thanks guys! I was thinking maybe a CBR300 or so?  I don't want something that will be boring to ride.  Is one brand cheaper to maintain than another? I have yet to start doing my own servicing due to space (I live in an apartment, but do have a small garage)..so I don't want to be overwhelmed with too much maintenance. I have even thought about a Grom, but I think I would get bored. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, detroitrockcity said:

Thanks guys! I was thinking maybe a CBR300 or so?  I don't want something that will be boring to ride.  Is one brand cheaper to maintain than another? I have yet to start doing my own servicing due to space (I live in an apartment, but do have a small garage)..so I don't want to be overwhelmed with too much maintenance. I have even thought about a Grom, but I think I would get bored. 

I would recommend a 2013+ Ninja 300 w/ ABS over the CBR 300R or Grom.  I had a lot of fun on mine - it was very light and maneuverable around town but could also do well over 100 mph on the highway.  I had the 2013 "special edition" just like the one in the video below and everyone thought it was a 600 because of the wild paint scheme, at least until I started it up - LOL.  The main problem with the CBR300R IMO is it's a thumper so they sound like a dirt bike no matter what you do to the exhaust and they have a very low redline which is out of place IMO on a sportsbike.   The Ninja 300, on the other hand, has a parallel twin and would rev to 13,000 rpm which made it a lot of fun.  Keep in mind that the CBR in the vid below is the older 250 version before they made it a 300 but it's still a thumper and quite a bit slower than the Ninja 300.

3 hours ago, detroitrockcity said:

I don't want something that will be boring to ride.  Is one brand cheaper to maintain than another? I have yet to start doing my own servicing due to space (I live in an apartment, but do have a small garage)..so I don't want to be overwhelmed with too much maintenance. I have even thought about a Grom, but I think I would get bored. 

Pre-gen (pre-2007) Ninja 250 tuned from the factory to have 13k rpm redline... better tuned than later models that are fuel injected and restricted.  

I have mine set up with rear tire with taller profile, 130/90-16, larger diameter rear tire, which allows low engine rpm for higher speed with stock gearing.

I rode mine on some of the busiest highways in this nation at 95+ mph, sustained for 40-50 miles, engine at 11k rpm without any problem. 

My 2004 Ninja 250 I purchased at $650, some broken body panels, needed tires. All replacement parts were dirt cheap, because people think and treat these bikes are junk. 

Quite the opposite, in capable hands a Pre-gen Ninja 250 can easily out pace any mid-weight or liter-class in twisties because of the lightweight and high-reving powerband tune and the engine can take the abuse for hours and hours. 

No they may not be much to look at, but if you know how to ride one, they are the most confidence inspiring machines that are cheap to purchase, cheap to insure/operate and very cheap to repair. 

BTW, Grom has little capacity to carry extra weight, if you carry much luggage it will slow it down even more than a heavy rider. 

• Member Contributer

I'd think CB500 would be good. Ninja 250 if you need to keep it cheap. I didn't think 400SM was that cheap for a used bike. $7k new, so not cheap that way, and not a sportbike. 10 miles each way isn't a ton of miles, but all the smaller bikes probably have cheaper tires good for commuting.

I talked to several people about a CB300 and was told it was a great starter bike but not enough guts for a grown man. The used 500’s are not much moremoney. The DRZ SM would be fun too.

• Member Contributer

Get a Versys 650. I am seriously considering it for commuter and Adventure touring duties. I absolutely loved my Triumph Street Triple if sporting confidence and practical comfort is what you are after. Honda Dakar CR250l really had my eye at the dealership today while picking up filter and oil for my VFR.

I've seen clean 2nd gen SV650s for $2-$3k just about every time I looked. Decent power (could pretty much keep up with my 599 in straights), narrow, light weight, and parts everywhere you look. The Honda single doesn't really interest me, but all of the other current 300-500cc sport bikes, naked, and mini-ADVs look like a lot of fun and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Or how avout a WR250x?

I've owned total of six SV650s in the past, most of them are 1st gen. (99-02) carb' models.

I prefer them over the FI models, carbs are easier to tune and maintenance are easy and minimal if you keep riding. 

They are great for track, mods and parts are plenty and cheap, but lack luggage capacity and options. 

They are also cheap to purchase, most of mine were purchased under $2K, between 2010 and 2016. 

I've also converted WR250F and WR450F dirt bikes into street legal dual sport/supermoto daily rides.  

WR250X is very much over-priced for a 250cc engine bike at $4k to 7k. Not very good for sustained highway speed,

not very comfortable for long hours in the saddle, also limited in luggage capacity and options. 

A Burgman scooter weighs 600 pounds?!!

No wonder it's ass looks so wide.
Might as well get a hog. :unsure:

Plenty of good suggestions for bikes.

I'll suggest stay away from Repsol boy in his wife beater, shorts, and flip flop riding gear.

He is likely to crash and cry Boo Hoo.

Then you will have to respond Eff Ewe while you call 911.

Because sadly you can't leave him lying there alone. :dry:

1 hour ago, VFR4Lee said:

A Burgman scooter weighs 600 pounds?!!

No wonder it's ass looks so wide.
Might as well get a hog. :unsure:

Weight of Burgman is mostly near ground level, not top heavy like a hog. 

That ass may look wide, but still narrower if you put any side cases or luggage on any other bike. 

Plenty of hog riders switch to Burgman once they discover they don't need to kill themselves with heavy clutch hand to cruise. 

Clutchles, push button shifting or just twist-n-go is the beauty of Burgman 650, especially in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

You can always go for a good old CB500:

_ dirt cheap to by and easy maintain

_ unbreakable motor

_ enough juice to be fun and efficient in the twisties

_ actually used by a lot of people to learn track trajectories since it is really efficient in curves

_ more than decent growl

_ more than ride-able with top case + tank bag + backpack +saddle-bag if you need some luggage.

I commuted for years on a CB600 and it is a great bike as well but a bit heavier.

Happy bike hunt :tongue:

EDIT : look at a youtuber named Schaaf is you want to see what a (nearly) stock CB500 is capable of

EDIT 2: If I remember correctly, the old model is much more powerful than the new one as well ;-)

• Member Contributer

I have an RC51, SV650, and DRZ, all super fun!

FZ-07 would also be on my short list, and maybe the Versys.

I rode the Duke 390 and it was waaaay better than the Ninja or Honda 300's, it was insanely fun, but I could see where you would get bored after the first year of hooning it, and would want an FZ-07...........if you're not the hooligan type, it might just be enough - had way more power than I expected, and if you're not too big it fits just right too - plenty of lightly used bikes out there!

• Member Contributer
On 9/29/2017 at 8:24 PM, Sweeper said:

The cb500’s are great around town. I have the x and love the ergos for around town. Cheap too!

Just buy a 500X.  It is a sportbike in commuter clothing.  You can go anywhere from serious (check my sig) to stock and have fun either way.  A GSXR shock and heavier fork oil is a great compromise.  I love my VFR, but I can't tell you the number of times I wish I had my X for times of slow traffic, outright comfort, or gravel roads.  Wheel sizes use tires of 120/70 and 160/60 so you can buy virtually any tire for any purpose.  I'm a tire snob, and it's the main reason I didn't go smaller with any of the 300s.  The 500 is just right.  If you "need" more power, go SV650, FZ07, or any of the new Kawi 650s although you will probably be paying a little more.  If you are considering dual sport riding, consider WR250 or DRZ400, although the 500X will do some of this fairly well.

On 9/30/2017 at 5:29 PM, YoshiHNS said:

I'd think CB500 would be good. Ninja 250 if you need to keep it cheap. I didn't think 400SM was that cheap for a used bike. $7k new, so not cheap that way, and not a sportbike. 10 miles each way isn't a ton of miles, but all the smaller bikes probably have cheaper tires good for commuting.

Tell Kimball the 400SM isn't a sportbike and he will agree.  Good luck following him on any sportbike.

On 10/2/2017 at 5:22 AM, Coatzin said:

You can always go for a good old CB500:

_ dirt cheap to by and easy maintain

_ unbreakable motor

_ enough juice to be fun and efficient in the twisties

_ actually used by a lot of people to learn track trajectories since it is really efficient in curves

_ more than decent growl

_ more than ride-able with top case + tank bag + backpack +saddle-bag if you need some luggage.

I commuted for years on a CB600 and it is a great bike as well but a bit heavier.

Happy bike hunt :tongue:

EDIT : look at a youtuber named Schaaf is you want to see what a (nearly) stock CB500 is capable of

EDIT 2: If I remember correctly, the old model is much more powerful than the new one as well ;-)

The 500 made me a better rider.  It's so different than the VFR and previous bikes, my brain had to adapt.  Perspective is everything.  I will have to look up this Schaaf guy...

• Member Contributer

I'd echo the sentiments for the CB500x. Heard lots of good things about that. I used to ride a Suzuki 500 Twin (only bike so had no choice but to commute on it) with higher bars and raised suspension it was fabulous. The CB500X gives you that upright riding position and high suspension from new.

c4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Why not just get a used VFR?  New ones are allegedly so cheap that used ones have to be getting close to free and you get more bike for the money.  I've had three generations of VFR's in 100 degree humid heat and they do fine.  That's the reason they have a rad. fan and they do work.  Or, why keep the miles off your VFR?  I don't hear of worn out VFR engines.       

Commuting in Phoenix AZ.....that's a lot of highway out that way.  Fast highway too.  Lots of empty desert in between too.  Tempting to get a Dual sport for sure.  But don't get suckered into any Dual sport smaller than a 650 in your environment.  You NEED a 650cc single just to stay with the flow in the freeways in AZ.  I commute on a Suzuki DR650 (but it's highly modified so it has tons more power), and even that is just adequate for sustained 80 mph cruising.  However, they are awesome in town, in traffic, in rough roads, and VERY easy to maintain.  Cheap parts too.  But it might bore you eventually unless you mod it.  Stock they are a bit sedate and boring.

If I were you and you want to be "excited" to ride your second bike, get an older sportbike.  A 600cc super sport is a LOT of fun in all kinds of road situations.  It has a lot of power and very light weight.  They're somewhat easier to maintain than the V4 VFR and they are very reliable.  They're also narrower than a VFR so easier to slice and dice traffic.  Although the advantage isn't as big in AZ since you can't split lanes.  2007 to 2012 CBR600RR are dime a dozen.  One of the best 600's of its time.  Best street oriented 600 for sure.  Motorcyclist Magazine ranked this CBR the best all around 600 in 2007 I believe.  

OTOH, if you want something brand spanking new...well the choices are endless.  I could personally still get a 600 class sportbike, like the CBR650F would be perfect if a bit like the VFR.  But nothing like the CBR600RR though. LOL!  The CB500x and Versys suggestions are very good.  Just don't get anything smaller like a 300-400cc.  Trust me on this if you plan to be riding a lot that wide open AZ roads.  You need a minimum of 50 rwhp for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I know someone with a spare 4th gen VFR. And I know someone who has made a VFR street fighter or two, who may or may not be selling it (legitimately don't know). Have him build you a VFR to your spec. How much more exciting would that be?

Archived