OEM Top Case install and Honda 1-Key System

Ohlias

Hi Folks

Just ordered the 45L OEM top case, adaptor plate/bracket and the two 1-key parts (inner housing and cylinder). from Lings in the UK (so far they have been fantastic to deal with and the price was fair, ask for Mark).

The question I have is have any of you had experience in setting up the one key system? I saw my dealer do it when the bike was being prepped two years ago and and it didn't look like fun! I'm hoping hte instructions are included, but does anyone know where to find them? I am having a hard time on the Honda PowerSports website (may be blocked at work).

Thanks in advance for any answers. For those who are curious, here's what I ordered (already have the OEM rear carrier rack):

08L74-MJN-D01ZG 45L  Top box - Pearl Glare White (NH-B53P)
08L73-MJM-D10            Carrier Bracket For 45L Top Box
08M70-MJE-D01           1 Key Body Part
08M71-MJE-D02 or 03   1 Key Components (Cylinder Inner Kit)

I believe they will send the instructions.  It was not really that hard, but does take some patience.  I ordered mine from Ling's and everything arrived quickly, and I think they included the instructions.  I may still have a hard copy as well if they don't.  I think you can also find the instructions for the side cases on this site, as it is the same procedure.

1 hour ago, 2015vfr said:

How much was everything all together? I've been thinking about ordering one too, it would make splitting a bit easier. I've been riding with only 1 side case for now.

PM sent - Not sure if it would be proper etiquette to discuss prices out in the open. 

This being said, reach out to Lings and ask for Mark Denney. He was great to work with.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, bobbyn said:

My brain fogged over when I saw the key set components. Some things I will pay for to have the local shop take care of a few things, this was definitely one of them.

I've always pictured you as fairly capable.  I'm sure if you were to sit down and put aside presupposed inhibitions you'd get through it just fine.

Quick edit:  Although, getting through it one-handed might make it more of a challenge.  Did not immediately consider that.

It's an annoying routine but not actually that mentally challenging.  My biggest impediment has always been translating those awful line drawings in instruction sheets, fiches, etc. into the mental image that I need.

-Brad

On 27/09/2017 at 3:51 AM, 2015vfr said:

How much was everything all together? I've been thinking about ordering one too, it would make splitting a bit easier. I've been riding with only 1 side case for now.

FYI I find riding with just the large top box upsets the balance of the bike. It's much better with all the bags or none of the bags

1 hour ago, Pjcliffo said:

FYI I find riding with just the large top box upsets the balance of the bike. It's much better with all the bags or none of the bags

I feel like splitting would be much easier with just the top box, I find it hard to squeeze through sometime with the side bags on

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Pjcliffo said:

Just add a few more turns on the preload and it handles just fine.

17 hours ago, Pjcliffo said:

Yes except for the balance. Did you realize that the width of the panniers is about the same as the handlebars, so if the bars fit through the panniers should too.

Yea, but only if you go straight until the rear tire clears. I think its mostly mental and peace of mind.

I've been having issues with the stock mirrors too, theyre pretty wide and right at the height of most car mirrors

Got all the parts together today. 1-key went suprisingly well. Really have to make sure you have the correct instructions. 

Mark from Lings was great to deal with. Don't hesitate to contact them, they know what they are doing. Tell him Nic sent you! ;)

Archived