Near Little Dragon,Southeastern OH 536

DorsoDoug

That is my favorite road in SE OH.  Heading east on 536, there is a particularly nasty decreasing radius right-hander.  Just about bites me every time, and that's even when I know exactly where it is.  OH 255 is nearby and is amazing, too.  People say 800 is great, but IMO it's kind of tame compared to the other two.

Beautiful day to ride, and great pic with a beautiful bike!

• Member Contributer

I thought 555 was Ohios Tail of the Dragon?

What are the road conditions of 536 like? I rode it about 5 years ago and it was awful. Road surface wasn't very good. Loose in spots

0OQ9huem.jpg

I've always heard that 536 is called ohios little dragon; purportedly 111 curves in 11 miles. I thought the road condition was good overall. I usually ride it numerous times a season. I remember a few years prior when it was a mess. 255, which is  a few miles down river is a much better road in my opinion IF you like tight curves. I took this photo on my weekend trip returning from the Back of the Dragon in VA - cool road as well.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DorsoDoug said:

I've always heard that 536 is called ohios little dragon; purportedly 111 curves in 11 miles. I thought the road condition was good overall. I usually ride it numerous times a season. I remember a few years prior when it was a mess. 255, which is  a few miles down river is a much better road in my opinion IF you like tight curves. I took this photo on my weekend trip returning from the Back of the Dragon in VA - cool road as well.

Ah that probably explains it. It has fixed since I last was there.

When I was there 5 years back I took 555 to Marietta. Then in the morning I took 26 to 255, then 7 to 536. All very nice roads. Glad to hear they are all in better condition.

Gorgeous bike btw. Anniversary 6th gens are some of my fav.

I was down there a couple months ago.  Roads were in pretty good shape, except where they were doing pipeline work.  Dirt all over the roads in a few places.  It also rained some that day, so the curves were pretty slick in some places - especially where the construction trucks had traveled.

555, or the "triple nickel", is a great road, and long, stretching from Zanesville all the way to the Route 7 and the Ohio River.  Many small towns along the way, but they go by quickly.  The freaky thing about 555 is how many turns there are at the top of hills.  You see directional signs but you don't know how sharp the curve is until just before you crest the hill.  It can be unnerving.

I'm hoping to make it down there once more this year myself.  Used to go 2-3 times a year but haven't ridden that much the last couple years.  :sad: 

Archived