Clutch replacement

JimF777

I haven't needed to replace a clutch since my '90 1100 and that was pretty straight forward. I don't remember the steps but I know that I just jumped in to it and it was easy to figure out. I think I had to soak the fiber plates in oil over night or something like that. 

Is the clutch on the 6G model about the same? I'm not going aftermarket, and based on lever feel and lack of slipping, I think the springs are good. Is there anything special or to look out for when tackling this?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

That's about all you need. Soak them in oil first is right. And you'll need a gasket for the cover. 

Easiest and cheapest thing to do is bleed the clutch line first. That might be all you need. I replaced my 5th Gen plates only at 75,000 (edit- 92,000 miles) or somewhere around there. Only did it because I was replacing the cover anyway and found that the springs and plates looked the same as the new ones. Measured the thickness of each plate and the whole stack and found no difference. Same with springs. 

I just re-read your post and you don't describe any symptoms or say what makes you want to change it. If you just think "it's time" you likely don't need to. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 10:38 AM, KevCarver said:

That's about all you need. Soak them in oil first is right. And you'll need a gasket for the cover. 

Easiest and cheapest thing to do is bleed the clutch line first. That might be all you need. I replaced my 5th Gen plates only at 75,000 (edit- 92,000 miles) or somewhere around there. Only did it because I was replacing the cover anyway and found that the springs and plates looked the same as the new ones. Measured the thickness of each plate and the whole stack and found no difference. Same with springs. 

I just re-read your post and you don't describe any symptoms or say what makes you want to change it. If you just think "it's time" you likely don't need to. 

Sorry for the late response. I have scooped all the mud and crud out of the master and bleed fluid through the system until it was clearing up on the other end (I then ran out of fluid). No change in the clutch feel. This brings me to your question. The clutch engages really late in the lever travel, nearly when its all the way out. It's not slipping but at the point when it no longer slips the lever is at the end. 

I like to have my clutch to start engaging almost immediately off the grip, and this couldn't be further from. Every time I jump on one of my other bikes after the honda, I stall it.

I got fiber plates today and a gasket, and need to look up torque specs for any of the bolts. Anything I need to watch out for? 

Oh, do we still put gasket silicone one side of the gasket?

Archived