Installed R&G Frame Sliders and Honda Quick Shifter

bighawk

After months of procrastination, I finally took the time to install both. 

Total time from start to finish including setup and clean up was 2 hours:

• Removed Fairings
  • Marked area to be drilled using supplied marking tool (picture of old/new rod attached)
  • Drilled Fairings - pic shows SMALL fairing hole. Determined location was good and continued drilling to 28mm
  • Lined up and tightened frame sliders

While I had it opened up - I had to order and put in the quick sifter (rationalization to the wifey :)):

• Pic of old set up vs anticipated new set up.  Of note, the shifter now comes from the rear vs the front.
  • Ran the wiring around the specified paths as indicated in the instructions utilizing all clips
  • Notice BLUE dummy clip in the photo - release blue dummy clip and connect quick shifter there.
  • Put her back together. The gear indicator wouldn't register for about 2 minutes, freaked me out until the bike finally allowed me to turn it on at which time it registered the gears.

I haven't ridden it just yet - but i'm waiting to see how she performs. 

Thought this may help some people out there.

Removed Fairings on both sides:

20170920_160738.jpg

Old bar

20170920_161611.jpg

Old bar vs new R&G frame slider bar with spacers and sliders

20170920_161619.jpg

Drilled a hole small enough for the bar to go through. Removed fairing again and drilled to 28mm

20170920_171019.jpg

Installed and R&G logo end caps installed:

20170921_135050.jpg

Sliders installed:

20170921_135045.jpg

Blue dummy cap where QS gets installed

20170920_170545.jpg

QS vs Standard shifter before installation 

20170920_163239.jpg

Samuel, took it for a long ride and thought "why did I waste my money on this?"  That thought quickly disintegrated into thin air when I hit a straight and popped each gear full throttle, feels like a twin clutch paddle shift in a performance car! 

The only downside is that you can't shift down with it (there's no function or availability for auto blip) which makes taxes my simple mind as I was engaging in massive amounts of fun up-shifting. I then had to recenter myself and remember to use the clutch to downshift and then remember I could let go to up-shift so on so forth.

I'm sure its a learning process, but if you like to be spirited, GET IT.  EASY install too and very cheap comparatively to other bikes.

4 hours ago, 2015vfr said:

I didn't have the balls to drill my fairings, but that looks good! This thread and the one at vfrw are making me want to get a quick shifter. Have you gotten a chance to ride with it? How is it?

Ultimately thought the same thing but I knew once the sliders are on they're not coming off and the holes are covered permanently.  If i were to do it again the whole process wouldnt take too long now that i know how the fairings come off.

Remember, while you have it open, install the quick shifter too :P     That thing adds so much excitement, it shouldve been standard.

• Member Contributer

I had to take off my dealer fitted R&G bungs to remove the plastics to install my quickshifter, it was not an easy job as you have to hold one bung whilst removing the other. I actually called R&G to make sure I was not missing anything. Once these are on, they are solid and I firmly believe the design of them makes them the best on the market. The T rex no cut look prettier, but are not as well attached to the bike.

Make sure you grease the R&G bar and check it moves freely periodically, otherwise it will 'weld' itself into place after a couple of winters.

I had to use an angle grinder to cut the one attached to my old engine to get it out.

1 hour ago, daved said:

Make sure you grease the R&G bar and check it moves freely periodically, otherwise it will 'weld' itself into place after a couple of winters.

I had to use an angle grinder to cut the one attached to my old engine to get it out.

Interesting. 

Thankfully we don't experience winters out here :P   

Sorry had to rub it in :D

6 hours ago, Nelix said:

I had to take off my dealer fitted R&G bungs to remove the plastics to install my quickshifter, it was not an easy job as you have to hold one bung whilst removing the other. I actually called R&G to make sure I was not missing anything. Once these are on, they are solid and I firmly believe the design of them makes them the best on the market. The T rex no cut look prettier, but are not as well attached to the bike.

By "bungs" are you referring to the nuts?  You'll need someone to hold one side (or clamp it down somehow) and ratchet the other. 

Definitely why you must get your QS at the same time (life is all about rationalizing lol)

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, bighawk said:

By "bungs" are you referring to the nuts?  You'll need someone to hold one side (or clamp it down somehow) and ratchet the other. 

Definitely why you must get your QS at the same time (life is all about rationalizing lol)

Bungs are what the brits call crash sliders

On 22/09/2017 at 6:16 PM, bighawk said:

Interesting. 

Thankfully we don't experience winters out here :P   

Sorry had to rub it in :D

True, I was in LV and LA this summer, thought about hiring a bike, but LV certainly was too hot(108f) for me to ride in helmet and bike gear. Yesterday was dry, sunny and about 70f so we do get some good days, although it's raining again today.

Archived