I love the smell of burning clutch in the morning...

After 104k the clutch has finally started slipping on my 36/2 Doused the bolts in Plusgas and cracked them off, no problem. Ok, so does anyone know how to get a crankcase off, that has been sitting for 20yrs? I've tried rocking it, shaking it, tapping it and swearing at it - none have worked so far.
Is there a technique that I or the Haynes don't know about? The manual says 'lift the crankcase away'... ha!

• Member Contributer

I find when they are that old it usually takes a couple smacks with a piece of hard wood to get that first change in "tone", telling you that the cover is starting to release.

Large leather mallet also works.  

Some bike have some "leverage" tabs that can be CAREFULLY used to help. Not recommended. 

• Member Contributer

I am not sure about 3rd or 4th gens but my 6th had a tab on the bolt hole at the top near the oil filler neck. a Lever bar behind that to apply a little outward pressure and than gave it a good larruping with a rubber camping mallet. Once it had started to move I used some little wooden wedges driven into the gap.

'twer well and truly stuck on.

untitled.png

• Member Contributer

I had to use a long brass drift pin against the faint leverage points I could find. From the other side of the bike i hit sharply with a brass mallet with increasing power until it started to give. Then it practically fell off. Had to hit it harder than i felt comfortable with to get it started though. 

If your clutch basket may need some attention too at 104k miles. I took a fine file to all the slots to smooth out all the indentations.

Pay very careful of the order you put the plates back on or you get the pleasure of opening it back up again like I did. 

Archived