Where do I start - Cause it won't!!!

didit

• Member Contributer

While on the last trip, I was having erratic starting issues during the second week of riding.  We'd stop at the pumps, fill up and then - no start.

Push started several times after this happened more than once. Reached hotel destination and checked - it started just fine.

This same situation happened again after a full days ride.

Now, back at home and sitting in the garage, I can't get the bike to engage.  Lots of juice and starting power but no contact.  No go varoom varoom?

I'm not mechanically inclined nor knowledgeable about electronics/ ignition systems, but do change my own oil and am not afraid to learn.

Yes, I've got a volt meter.  No I don't know how to correctly use/ read/ apply it.

Stuck between a hard (can't start to get to dealership) and a rock place (don't know anyone in my area to entice over) to help.

I'd be happy to post a video if it helps, but help is what I need.  Guidance from those who know (more than me).

Where do I start?  What do I take apart?  Do I use a hammer or kit glove?

I'm almost willing to pay airfare, supply room, board and beverage.  Did I mention it's beautiful here in the Okanagan?!

So beautiful that I'm getting pissed, missing out on my favourite fall rides.

Always start with the easiest stuff.

1. Battery. Are the battery terminals tight? Is the battery dying in the ass? Get the battery checked out at a battery store or workshop.

2. Once battery is known to be good, search for "The drill". This tutorial will explain how to test the wiring, the stator and the regulator/rectifier. You should find some fixes in there for typical faulty parts of the wiring loom. Especially the blue connector near left hand radiator and the susceptible wiring components close to the battery.

3. Search for "BYC" or Kentucky Fried Connector (my 6th gen specific thread on the faulty ground bus connector), if you can't find it, search for "Urethra" or "Eureka" by Veefercanuk or however you spell his moniker. That's the 5th gen specific thread on the equivalent shithouse connector, there's a link in there to my 6th gen thread.

May the V fource be with you!

• Member Contributer

Kelowna is beautiful - great area. 

As mentioned, it's most likely electrical. There are so many things to check and withoiut a good background it coud be a waste of your time. And this is not the time to try and educate yourself in an area you've never needed before. (And you could damage something by mistake.) If it's not just loose battery terminals or a dying battery, if I were you I'd quickly revert to having a dealer take care of it.  Dealers around me will come and pick up your bike for a small charge. Or if you have towing coverage on your insurance just call them and have it picked up. (I've never done that but do have friends that have done it.)

Don't beat yourself up. And don't waste the riding season.

• Member Contributer

Some more info would be helpful here didit:

Is the battery charged?

Are all the fuses OK (including the 30A fuse at the solenoid)?

Do the instrument lights come on when you turn on the ignition?

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?

Does the engine crank over at all?

I'm guessing if you can bump start the bike then just the starter motor/solenoid circuit is at fault. A failing battery can cause that, or it could be as simple as the starter button being dirty, a failing starter solenoid, or some wiring damage (take a look for melted connectors). Also the neutral switch, clutch switch and sidestand switch can play a part in the starter motor circuit.

Have you tried jump-starting off another battery e.g. from a car? If so, a good tip is to take the bike battery out of the circuit, if it is failing internally it can gobble up the juice form the jump battery.

6G starter.png

• Member Contributer

Is the battery charged?  Yes.  I'll put my volt meter on it to get a reading, but plenty of juice.

Are all the fuses OK (including the 30A fuse at the solenoid)?  Haven't checked.  Everything was/ has been working fine

Do the instrument lights come on when you turn on the ignition? Yes.  Checked all lights/ signals.  Unlike previous years (stator) I don't loose clock setting

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on? Yes.  When turning on the key/ engaging kill switch I can hear the 2+ second whir as usual 

Does the engine crank over at all? Yes.  Plenty of turn over but will not progress to running.

A few weeks ago (last attempt at a ride) it started but was choking and gasping a little.  Then after running for a few minutes (warm up) I shut it off.

It would not restart and this is where I am now.

Thanks for the input.  I'm shooting for this coming Saturday to put the bike up and start running diagnostic activities.

Will be putting the battery on trickle charge tonight, just to make sure.

• Member Contributer

OK so that narrows it down to either a lack of sparks or a lack of fuel. Does the exhaust smell like unburnt fuel when you are trying to start the engine?

• Member Contributer

Something simple to check would be the air filter to see it's become a critter hotel.   Also,  pulling at least 1 of the plugs to see if they're fouled or just worn out might tell something.   Particularly if ethanol fuel is commonly available where you live, water in the fuel could also be a possibility.  For the latter, siphoning the tank completely dry while it's propped up to check the air filter could probably eliminate that as a possibility.  There are some fuel treatments available that also might help with water issues.  If you're getting spark, the electrical system checks out ok and none of these things help, having a shop diagnose it might be the way to go. 

If you get stuck, perhaps you can find a mobile mechanic?

I found one on Craigslist that helped me put my VFR back together a while back.

Your problem is probably not too hard.

Check fuses and do the other easy thing everyone else is saying first.

• Member Contributer

Start with the battery for it's the weakest link in the whole system... To
determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a
refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...
12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...
12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

Back in 2001 Stan and I rode our RC45 to Kelowna and participated in the famous Kelowna Poker Run which turned into a nice road race...

Unfortunately I think the result was a few fatalities...

CanadaTrip002.JPG

CanadaTrip017.JPG

CanadaTrip076.JPG

CanadaTrip082.JPG

CanadaTrip004.JPG

Archived