8th Gen OEM Rear Carrier compatibility

Ohlias

Hi folks!

Might be able to snag a used OEM  rear carrier to help my search for mounting rear luggage (already had the OEM saddlebags). I really want to stick OEM as much as possible, especially for the carrier as I like the way the handles integrate with the look of everything. I've been reading some threads, but I'm uncertain about the following:

Can I use the OEM carrier, with 45L OEM box? If so, what mounting plate and/or other things are necessary?

Can I use the OEM carrier with another range of aftermarket boxes (i.e. Givi)? If, so what mounting plate is required?

Thanks in advance to all those that respond.

• Member Contributer

Mounting plates are different for the 45litre and 31litre OEM boxes. I have one of each on my 2 bikes; the 45litre box mounts in a different fashion to the smaller one.

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, economist said:

Does anyone know if the 8th gen rear carrier is the same part as the 7th gen? Sometimes I see 7th gen ones for sale and they look very similar.

Yes they are the same.

Man you guys really did a great (and quick) job of answering all of my questions. Now that I am the proud owner of a slightly used (almost new) OEM rear carrier, I need to find myself a white OEM top box and mounting plate as well as back pad. Can you guys confirm the following:

45L OEM Honda Top Box: Mounting plate part # and box part #

45L Top Box - 08L72-MGE-J32ZY

Pannier Support Stay Kit - 08L71-MJJ-D30

Anyone know which back rest pad fits?

Thanks! Of course, if anyone is looking to sell...! Also willing to settle on a 33L.

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

33 l one won't fit it uses a different carrier and plate.

Go to Honda uk and look up accessories for vfr 800.  Part numbers will be there

better still punch in the part nos you have and see what comes up.

i have done link in past but can't remember what post it was on 

Here's what I've got so far with searches, but I ask here as I am uncertain since it seems Honda has many varying part numbers and depending on region it fist different bikes. Seems that you can mix and match different parts and potentially come up with a solution, I just don't want to order tons or parts from aboard in a trial and error fashion as I am working on a limited budget and want to get the best price:

1 Key 08M73-HAC-J41 (just the key cylinder)
1 Key kit - 08M71-KZL-840 (cylinder and the mounting "hole") My understanding is this fits the 45L OEM Honda box
45L Top Box - 08L72-MGE-J32ZY in white 08L72-MGE-J32ZY NH-B53P (Will it match the 2014 VFR white?)
Mounting Plate - 08L70-K04-930 (This is the one I am most confused about, there are so many numbers).

I am posting here in the hopes that someone that has knowledge and/or done this can confirm before I commit.

Thanks again guys. If we can get all the info in this thread I think it will serve as a good source in the future.

Thank you Fink

I had seen that before but did not find it again. Glad you did and took the time to link it. I've noted down all the part numbers here:

• 08L74-MJN-D01ZG 45L Top box - Pearl Glare White (NH-B53P)
  • 08L73-MGE-D40 Carrier Bracket For 45L Top Box
  • 08M70-MJE-D01 1 Key Components (Cylinder Inner Kit)
  • 08M71-MJE-D01 1 Key Components (Cylinder Body Kit)
  • 08F75-MGE-800 Backrest Pad for Top Box

And now I will try to source them to Canada at the best discount I could get...

I'll post back on what I end up with.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!

• Member Contributer

Sometimes it can be cheaper to import. I know of others that have imported other bits because they were way cheaper.

couple of European sites.  cmsnl , lings Honda, bike -parts -Honda are a few.

Another question before I order:

The back pad (08F75-MGE-800 Backrest Pad for Top Box) is coming up as a part for the VFR1200 31 litre box. Am I reading the accessory brochure correctly that there is only ONE back pad and it fits both boxes (31L and 45L)?

Thank you!!!

• Member Contributer

As far as I can remember pad comes with the box. I cant see any part nos on my invoice.

The blurb with the picture says it comes with a pad.   So the one listed in the price list is for the 31L box

• 1 month later...
On 19/09/2017 at 2:24 AM, Nelix said:

I have the oem carrier with the 45lt top box, but part of the set up is a mounting plate I think.

Here is pics.IMG_1079.thumb.JPG.831ba4ddb006c9279c510d4f8bc73a33.JPGIMG_1080.thumb.JPG.d526bb05f3d6d7572d95eb1663d22e46.JPGUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_118.thumb.jpg.3e52016bc5045ff9f6abea9235777d7a.jpg

What brand is that screen?? and/or who did you get it from. 

Archived