Programming a blank HISS key

htx

Guys, my old key got a bit too old (bendy) and I decided it was time for a new one, so I bought a new blank directly from Honda and cut it.

My bike, me being from the EU, has HISS fitted, so my key has a transponder which needs to be programmed/"teached". Has anyone here done this procedure on the 5th gen VFR? The only info I can find on the matter seems to be for the 6th gen. Does the procedure again include the Ignition Pulse Generator 2-pin plug? If so, what do I have to disassemble to actually get to it? Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Assuming the 2014 & later work the same as the earlier ones, try this video, you need to make a programing lead, but its just 2 wires, one with a resistor.  Have fun.

That's the thing - the wiring on my VFR (the pre-VTEC 2000 RC46) doesn't look exactly as the one from the video, i.e. I can't seem to find the red Ignition Pulse Generator plug. I do have the resistor and wiring handy, though.

The transponder chip is encapsulated in non-transparent hard resin in both of my keys (the original old and new unprogrammed one) and I'm a bit skeptical if I'll be able to cut it out without damaging it. And there's the other thing - if I do damage the original, I'd be kinda screwed as I'll probably have to order a new HISS system for my bike which is $$$.

• Member Contributer

The chip doesn't have to be in the key in the ignition. if it is on the key ring next to the new one in the ignition lock the HISS system will recognise it.

the Pulse Generator wire should be under the tank and airbox on the right hand side. If need be take a side panel off and trace it back up.

it's the black wire arrowed on the attached picture.

ignition pulse.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Woodie said:

The chip doesn't have to be in the key in the ignition. if it is on the key ring next to the new one in the ignition lock the HISS system will recognise it.

Correct but do make sure there is only ONE transponder chip in the vicinity of the antenna, otherwise there's every chance that it won't work. 

On my 6G, the transponder chip was "sealed" in by soft black silicone that can easily be removed with a toothpick. No risk of damage to the chip.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, RC36Rider said:

Correct but do make sure there is only ONE transponder chip in the vicinity of the antenna, otherwise there's every chance that it won't work. 

Mine had a blank ID46 chip in and it worked OK. picked up the chip from Ebay for £4.99, It's programmed now and it still worked with both keys on the keyring. the 'spare' is now safely tucked away.

Found the plug - it was tucked in tightly between the engine and the frame. Also did the procedure and was successful on the first try! I now have two HISS keys that can start the motorcycle! Thank you very much!

• Member Contributer

Easy innit. My local dealer wanted £250, I did the whole lot for under £20.

Archived