Stator for a 2002 model VFR800

FalcoNZ

I’m having a lot of problems with my charging system on my 2002 VFR800 lately, and after running the diagnostics, (and replacing other parts) it looks like I need a new stator.

Honda’s part catalogue, lists a stator with part number 31120-MCW-D01 for the 2002 VFR800.
(I even used the VIN of my bike to find the correct part number).

This stator has an external diameter of 114 mm, an internal diameter of 40 mm and the center of the stator (where it is screwed onto the engine cover) has a thickness of 20mm.

However, if I measure the Stator that I have removed from my 2002 VFR800, I have a part with an external diameter of 108 mm. The internal diameter is the same with 40 mm, but the center of the stator has a thickness of 25mm.

Does anyone here have any idea what kind of stator I might need? Are there any other part numbers for a 2002 Stator?

Could it be that, even though I have a 2002 model, it is fitted with a 2001 Stator?
Just guessing here…

• Member Contributer

After the '02 model Honda upgraded the stator for more output in subsequent years.  The OE one for your '02 has been superceded by the larger unit.  Unfortunately to use it, you will also have to replace the flywheel to match the larger size.  IIRC the '02 part number will show as "no longer available" or "discontinued" or similar in the catalog - I believe it's also the same for the '02 flywheel.   The only option to keep your current setup would be to find someone to re-wind your existing stator.  There is at least one source for that in the U.S. - not sure what your options would be in New Zealand.  Best of luck with it. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Havagan said:

Avoid Ricks like the plague.

OEM or rewind is the only good replacement. Otherwise expect to do the job sooner than later.

Are there any stator rewind shops in NZ? Would be a good option.

• Member Contributer

I've used Custom Rewind with excellent results..and a good price.  A couple weeks turn-around.

Matt

Archived