Stompgrip is cheating [with pics]

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Short story:

I installed Stompgrip on my 5th gen and wow, did it ever exceed my objectives and expectations for fit, appearance, and performance. Taking advantage of the grip Stomp provides during braking is like cheating.

IMG_1415.thumb.JPG.1eb90db74a17b3f09581acf1dd7734d5.JPG

Long story:

Some things I learned:

[1] Follow the written directions included with the Stompgrip - they cover all the critical components of a successful installation.

Some points in the instructions I found especially important:

[2] Do purchase and use at least two Adhesion Promoter Kits #35-1-0001 [3M glue sticks that help adhesion and longevity]. Stompgrip calls these sticks 'primers'.

[3] The instructions say to clean the mounting area, but be extra thorough and clean it with one of the recommended products 3-5 times. I used 90% alcohol. Allow to dry fully before applying primer.

[4] Again, though the instructions say to use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the Stompgrip AND the mounting area, they do not emphasize the importance of warming enough. Stompgrip loves to be warmed up during installation and it adheres to the mounting surface better if the surface is kept warm. Rewarm the Stompgrip and mounting surface after installing every 2-3 inches of material.

[5] Do wait at least 24 hours before riding with your newly installed Stompgrip. Curing is critical to adhesive strength and allows tiny spots of air to reabsorb in to adhesive

[6] Call Stompgrip with any remaining questions - they are good folks and happy to help.

Here are some details of my installation:

I found that Stomp doesn't have a kit for the 5th gen but they do have a kit for the 6th gen, so I picked one up along with their generic Tank Protector center pad, all in standard Stomp 'volcano' tread pattern [Stomp has 3 different tread patterns]. Careful test placement using blue paint-safe masking tape revealed that the 5th gen and 6th gen are very similar, but the 6th gen is larger on top. Cutting off the top 3 rows of traction bumps from the 6th gen Stomp kit resulted in a perfect match with the lines of the 5th gen tank.

I lined up a metal ruler and braced it with a 1x3" board to achieve an angle to cut off the top 3 rows of traction bumps from the 6th gen tank side pad kit. Angling the cut created a bevel that imitates the tapered radius edge on factory Stomp products - the radius or bevel reduces the likelihood of the traction pad lifting from the edges, edges being the achilles heel of adhesive items. Take care to line up the start and finish of cuts, or, like me, you'll end up with tiny flares every 3-4" where you start another cut. Cut as far away from the row of traction bumps on the 'keep' side of the pad as possible - cut close to the row of bumps on the 'discard' side of the cut because having more flat area between the last row of bumps and the edge reduces the leverage the bumps can exert on lifting the edge.

IMG_1429.thumb.JPG.f6b5b852cbc227406d084dba540b6683.JPG

I chose to mask the entire outline of each piece of Stomp. I applied strips of tape to hold the pad in place and moved them as I masked around the perimeter, ending up with an exact outline of the Stomp piece exactly where I wanted it. I allowed 1/8" extra space outside the shape of the Stomp, as it does stretch slightly as you warm it with a heat gun and the 1/8" leaves room for stretching.

IMG_1404.thumb.JPG.87776411b1f25ba220648b71408f412f.JPG

Masking the entire outline also allows thorough, accurate application of primer. I primed the entire area - slopped it on. Earlier Stomp applications on my GSXR and dirtbike revealed  that priming only the edges was not as sturdy or long-lasting as priming the entire area. Purchase enough primers - allocate 2 sticks per side panel, 1 for the center piece, and spares. Stomp sells them in packs of 4 primer sticks. The primers are not actually 'glue sticks', they contain a fluid that is released through a built-in applicator brush after you snap the tube at the dot printed on it. Sort of an adhesive glow stick activator.

IMG_1406.thumb.JPG.c1a1510b7da016f2f29d213e981f337e.JPGIMG_1407.thumb.JPG.8731fe4cc1f9b96fecb37de1b4384ba5.JPG

Let the primer dry thoroughly - it doesn't take long.

Wear gloves to avoid adding any contamination to adhesive or surface. Begin at the most critical corner/edge [top rear in this case] and lay down one row of traction bumps at a time. Carefully press firmly between each  pair of bumps along each row, starting at the middle of the row and working to the outside. Use occasional rewarming with heat gun and stretch gently - only  if necessary - to keep the pad in proper position. Press hard, the adhesive on the pad likes pressure and warmth. Bubbles are very rare if you are careful, but if you do get one, remove the pad back to the bubble and begin pressing hard again at that point to eliminate the bubble. Peel the backing paper a bit at a time - only enough to keep up with the installation. Leaving the backing paper on as long as possible prevents contamination from adhering to the pad.

IMG_1412.thumb.JPG.86efe0cbc5c024270fa61742df936cad.JPGIMG_1408.thumb.JPG.b8ceb8a2a7900fa3d0209d1c63d1b4b8.JPG

IMG_1413.thumb.JPG.cafa352b6271e6892fb93e1fdf50e856.JPG

IMG_1405.thumb.JPG.615f60c91710b8066af93febba7eaa6d.JPG

A lucky coincidence was that the curve at the rear of the 6th gen tank side pads almost exactly matched the generic center pad. The tiny pockets of air visible in this photo get absorbed into the adhesive and disappear during the 24 hour curing period.

IMG_1416.thumb.JPG.4f351e0307779b570d6dcc701484f67b.JPG

Backstory:

My 2001 5th gen came with an old school tank bra, which worked fine for touring and sport riding.

IMG_0837.JPG.c69c01996099da3fa80d843f3555e439.JPG

But the tank bra wriggled and slipped around like an eel wrapped around my tank under hard braking the first time I had it on the track, so I removed the bra. Grip was better, but still had too much slip to absorb serious braking forces. I looked into Stompgrip because I had it on my GSXR1000 [Now sold and missed] and still have it on my dirtbike - it provides terrific grip.

[Theory - braking forces throw your body forward, and the easy place to brace against these forces is through the arms and into the handlebars. The downside of transferring weight and force into the bars is that it either [1] upsets the bike's balance by adding unwanted, unsettling input to the steering mechanism at turn entry, and/or [2] stops the steering from settling into a neutral balanced state just after the critical point of turn entry. Gripping the tank with your legs and using your core muscles to absorb deceleration forces acting on the upper body offers vastly superior control and smoothness over pushing against the bars]

• Member Contributer

More work went into that than I thought, good job on the trimming though, takes a steady hand to use a razor knife. 

I also have the side grips. Brilliant things, worth every penny.

I didn't go quite as far as you with masking and adhesion promoter, but they've stood-up to two years of British weather and daily use with zero issues.

Having them really changed the way i ride and place my weight for the better. MUCH less strain on my wrists and arms now.

I'll be having these on every bike i own from now on.

• Member Contributer

They work really well once installed correctly. Over time your leathers will chaff at the knees a bit. 

My first sloppy install had them sliming off the tank. Stompgrip sent a new set and installed correctly they never budged or peeled away at the edges.

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear others are enjoying added stiction. Nice bike, hellindustries. Crakerjac, you're right, nothing in the world of friction comes free - my street leathers are OK so far, but I had to have inside-knee leather patches added to all my

motocross pants. Capt Bob - I've had the same experience w Stomp service. I was having a hard time getting my Stomp seat cover onto my MX bike's seat. I was living in Orange County close to Stomp at the time, so I stopped by and Dave (founder) just brought me in the back and showed me how to do a pro seat cover install by doing mine. Very cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you took a lot of extra steps! Not wrong by any means, just a little too cautious. But, I supposed if you live in a cool climate, it will help. I simply waited for a warm day, (easy to do in Southern California), parked my bike in the sun to warm up, put the pads on my black seat, cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol and then marked where I wanted them with a dry erase marker. Slowly stuck them on little by little as you did above, waited to ride it as they said and they've been great since! Over year now, if I remember. I too choose the clear and zero bubbles.

I put Ducati pads on my 99. I had difficult finding 6th gen pads. I'd like that center pad tho, so if you remember the part number let me know.

Archived