Vibrating Mirrors - 2001 VFR

OleNo1

So my new to me 2001 VFR has mirrors that really vibrate, low speed or high speed and all different RPM ranges.  If I get a nice new stretch of road the vibes tone down a bit but generally they noticeably vibrate to the point where you have to look pretty hard at the mirrors to get a good idea of what is going on behind you.  

The tires that came on the bike (especially the front) were cupped and old (front was 12 years old) so I had new Pilot Road 3's mounted and balanced front and rear this past weekend.  It seems to have helped a bit but the mirrors still shake pretty bad.  I had a 2000 VFR several years ago and don't recall their being this much vibration in the mirrors, at least not enough that I found it bothersome.  Maybe I just got spoiled by the 2002 Blackbird I had last.  Those mirrors were rock solid.  

The bike feels smooth to my butt and hands... no abnormal vibes through the seat or bars.  I let go of the bars and the bike tracks straight and true with no noticeable bar shake.  

Anybody have any feedback on if their 5th gen mirrors do or not not vibrate?  And to confirm, these are not the "condom" style mirrors.

Thanks!

When stationary/off the bike/not running, do the mirrors have any movement in them? Might be loose on the stem, but might be loose at the mirror housing, which you can't fix.

Might just need some different/more washers at the stem base in the mounting.

IF you need to replace them, upgrade to the non-dom version: Left / Right.

I have a set of those. They work great, and half the price of OEM replacements.

At idle with the bike sitting the mirrors are solid.  No vibration at all.  I have the standard mirrors on the 2000 and 2001 models like the ones you've linked.  Perhaps they are just old and a bit loose but the don't feel that way....

• Member Contributer

I've noticed on parts fiche for these mirrors that there are two washers with different part numbers that belong in the pivot. See parts 26, 27, and 28 in this link:

http://shop.powersportscompany.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=8816184&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2001&fveh=302894

I'm not sure this is the source of your problem. 

Good luck.

I had the front cowl off this weekend to put LED's in the gauge cluster.  Everything is as it should be (rubber gasket, bolts tight, etc.)  I'm just really curious if people experience a lot of vibration in their mirrors or not.  Perhaps mine is totally normal.  

Archived