5th gen Honda VFR800 clear turn signal lens with switchback bulbs

lancruza

I did this mod this afternoon.  Clear lenses with white led's as running lights that flash amber as turn signals.  Video shows the led's flashing amber.  I'm looking to change the headlights to match next.  The running light is a 4K color temp. 

UztaKYA.jpg

JW3cgDA.jpg

g6JSW5i.jpg

They have to flash amber.  In the past the only way to accomplish this with a clear lens was to use an amber bulb.  With today's led technology this bulb is white as a running light.  Then it switches off white and switches on amber when used as a turn signal.  They're called switchback bulbs.

• Member Contributer

Hey lancruza,

Nice mod, do you mind sharing where you sourced the lenses and bulbs?

I did not add a resistor.  You can see in the video that they blink faster than normal.  If I added a resistor they would blink like a regular incandescent bulb.  I don't mind the quick blink, so I installed just the led's.

• Member Contributer

just fitted LED indicators into my VW camper this weekend and just changed the flasher unit for a LED type and it flashes just fine do not know if you can do this with a bike, does anyone know as it would be dead simple to do

What's the light spread/projection look like? I like the idea, it'd work in my 8th gen, but I don't want something as bright as the headlight scattered everywhere and blinding everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

What's the light spread/projection look like? I like the idea, it'd work in my 8th gen, but I don't want something as bright as the headlight scattered everywhere and blinding everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree.  I definitely don't want to be blinding.  The signal lenses on the 5th gen are pointed downward approximately 20 - 22 degrees.  This downward projection helps keep the lights beam lower.  Aren't the 8th gen turn signals in the mirrors?  Not sure how these will work in that application.  The pictures are a little misleading.  The led's are bright, but not as bright as the headlights.  The reflector of the turn signal housing has a tighter reflection pattern than the headlight reflector.  I'm going to do some testing and will take some pics showing the lights projection patterns on a wall directly in front of the bike, and at varying distances.  I will post this once it is accomplished.  Thanks

You dont need to add a resistor, you just need to replace your signal flasher with one that is LED compatible. They only cost about $6 on ebay and amazon. You can also find them in autopart stores, like autozone or advance auto. I dont know what the equivalent would be over the pond. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Motorcycle-Turn-Signal-Lights-Hyper-Flash-Electronic-2-Pin-/262966811600?epid=1083430239&hash=item3d3a0b1bd0:g:PgsAAOSwjqVZAbwA&vxp=mtr

for the headlights, I would suggest JDM Astar 8th gen H4. That is what I currently run and I have been very happy with them. These days I try to stay away from HID kits because there are way too many parts and they all fail eventually. It becomes a real pain to troubleshoot which part has gone bad on each headlight. I got tired of it even with a full 5 year warranty from TRS.

• Member Contributer

A couple of years ago I found the best conspicuity I've ever seen. 

I installed a set of Cree LED H4 bulbs in my fifth gen. They are quite white, give much coverage and get much attention.

I bought them from High Performance Bulbs online.

They are currently on sale for $49.99.

I've never received any high beam flashes from approaching vehicles. And they do make me stand out in traffic. 

Here is a link:

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/h4-cree-led-bulb-headlight-bulb-super-bright-motorcycle-kit.html    

VFRD member zoomzoom did a fabulous thread on installing these in a fifth gen.   

Led Headlight Install - 5Th Gen

• Member Contributer

That's very cool! I de-Dumbo-ed my '99 and modded GSXR Mirrors with clear lenses and Switchback bulbs. I think they look really cool and make me more visible, but not really for the idea of any additional down road visibility. Because they are up high I did notice the other morning that they shed a bit of light into the corner of the front inner fairing where my heated grips switch is located, so I can finally see it in the dark! 

I also have Lifetime LED headlights, so it's all nice crisp white out the front.

• 1 month later...

Those are awesome! Still wanting to know about the up close road projection from these. I'm seeking a supplement to add to my high beams so i can see up close road edges and around close tighter curves with the high beams lit. Also, I like the look of the smoke lens, how much might that "cut" the light?

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, RAnderson said:

Those are awesome! Still wanting to know about the up close road projection from these. I'm seeking a supplement to add to my high beams so i can see up close road edges and around close tighter curves with the high beams lit. Also, I like the look of the smoke lens, how much might that "cut" the light?

I am also running switchbacks in the clear/smoked turn signal housings. There is no real 'road projection' from the bulbs that I have. They are listed as 192 lumen output, which makes for a nice vibility bump, but not an extra usable vision on the road. 

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/9/2017 at 7:25 PM, lancruza said:

I did this mod this afternoon.  Clear lenses with white led's as running lights that flash amber as turn signals.  Video shows the led's flashing amber.  I'm looking to change the headlights to match next.  The running light is a 4K color temp. 

UztaKYA.jpg

JW3cgDA.jpg

g6JSW5i.jpg

Great idea. Did you have to modify the turn signals wiring to run as DRL?

Archived