Rekey saddlebags

XRM

I haven't actually had to remove the barrel, but here's the instructions from Honda that I used to install them when I purchased my bags.

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you how to remove them once they are inserted, but you might be able to figure out a way by seeing how they go in.

PANNIER SET (Wave key type).pdf

I had to have a locksmith pick my top case as it was closed with no key, so I just had him rekey it while he was in there. I think it cost me about $30 for that, probably less if he doesn't have to pick it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

I had to have a locksmith pick my top case as it was closed with no key, so I just had him rekey it while he was in there. I think it cost me about $30 for that, probably less if he doesn't have to pick it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paid $75 to have a locksmith damage my top box and not be able to pick it. These guys are crooks: https://www.facebook.com/TheOrangeCountyLocksmith/

Has anyone tried to remove the lock barrel and replace it?  I'm thinking of keeping my bags and getting a new bike in another country, hence I will need to rekey the barrels to suit.

• Member Contributer

I have removed the key barrel aka inner cylinder, not to re-key it but to move it (er, them) to a new set of side cases.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse.  The problem is getting at the "stopper tumbler".

If you look at the instruction sheet you'll note that the stopper tumbler gets manually pushed flush with the surface of the cylinder (along with the other tumblers which become flush when the key is inserted) as you push the cylinder into the bore.  It is spring loaded and snaps into a slot inside the bottom of the bore when the inner cylinder is fully seated.  That's what keeps the inner cylinder from pulling out every time you pull on the inserted key.

In order to remove that inner cylinder you need to have the correct key inserted and you need some way to depress that spring-loaded stopper tumbler back into the inner cylinder.

I found the only way to do that was to disassemble the mechanism inside the case.  [EDIT: And that takes some energy.  Most of those bolts are secured with thread locking compounds.]  And then I think I wound up using a dentist tool to reach up into where that tumbler could be pushed in.

If there's a simpler way, I'd love to hear it!!!

Oh, and remember to use some fresh grease per the instructions.

Archived