Front brake uneven wear

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

Changed my tires on bike with 16k km,

I noticed that the left side caliper brake pads, the 2 bottom pads on exterior side are worn to base plate.

Interior side is OK with plenty of meat left, same as right caliper all pads are worn equal with plenty of material left.

What could cause this extreme uneven wear to exterior side of caliper.

All pistons in calipers seems to work fine.

2 hours ago, Normand said:

Hi all,

Changed my tires on bike with 16k km,

I noticed that the left side caliper brake pads, the 2 bottom pads on exterior side are worn to base plate.

Interior side is OK with plenty of meat left, same as right caliper all pads are worn equal with plenty of material left.

What could cause this extreme uneven wear to exterior side of caliper.

All pistons in calipers seems to work fine.

Hi Normand,

I would say your left caliper slider pins are dirty/corroded and not allowing the caliper to slide. This means the outside pads are pushing against the rotor, but the inside ones are not. Cleaning and lubing the pins with SilGlyde shpuld fix it.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Member Contributer

Norman you posted this in the 3rd/4th gen forum, but are you talking about your 1200?

The only reason for uneven wear in an opposed piston caliper(such as the 1200 has) has to be dragging pistons. Doesn't take much grit/corrosion to stop them moving smoothly. If it concerns you, I would pop the pistons out, clean them up (Scotchbrite pads are good/gentle) and give the seal a gentle scrub with brake fluid too. 

Archived