Running a 180 Rear Tire on a 1997

In another thread, @Beck mentioned the following regarding running a 180 on a 1997 5" rear wheel

About using a wider tire than stock on the stock 5" rim, don't do it!

Had a Dunlop on my 4th gen that ran wider than stock even though it was labeled as a 170 (they measured at 180mm). It really screwed up the bike's handling and made it feel like it was falling into corners. Worse yet, low speed stability was really affected badly. And even slow parking lot maneuvers became a nerve wracking experience. I'm sure it was because the rear tire profile was pinched by the rim.

All the bad handling went away after I switched over to a later Dunlop than did not run wider than the 170s they were supposed to be........handling got bad again though after the front started cupping, which is a typical flaw with Dunlops. Switched over to Michelin Pilots and I haven't had any handling problems again, since......

Others here have mentioned that running a 180 on the 5" rim was fine.

I would like to get additional input on the topic.

Thanks,

-- Ryan

(No offence to you)...but....This is the single most boring question regarding VFR's, only bettered with the brilliant "what oil should I use". As you said, some people have massively hated it, some have loved it...that's all the input you need.

Just get a 180, loads have done it without moaning about falling into corners or stability (I actually laughed out loud when I read the tripe quoted above). It'll pinch a bit and make the tyre a smidge taller. Otherwise just get a 170, it's not like they're as rare as hens teeth. The PR4 is particularly well suited to the VFR and comes in a 170.

In before "it slows turn in"....yeah, course it does, because loads of people obviously have two bikes back to back to be able to test. Weirdly, I did...I had THREE at one point! I can promise you that unless you're a hot shot track weapon, you won't notice a bloody bit of difference.

• Member Contributer

Not to mention the fact that different manufacturers' "180" tyres can vary by 10-20mm in width and profile.  Yes, in theory, there could be a difference, but in practice, well, maybe.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Unless you have a new 180 laying around somewhere that you want to use, I don't see a reason not to get a 170. Unless you REALLY want to run a specific tire that only comes in 180.

You might feel a difference between the two, but that's always exaggerated by the whole worn used tire vs new tire deal to begin with.

Archived