3rd gen wheel with CBR900 forks?

Thinking about using CBR900RR front forks on my 3rd gen vfr750. The CBR has a smaller 16" front wheel, anyone know if the 17" vfr front wheel will swap into the CBR forks? I've heard the 17" cbr600 front wheel drops in. Wondering is the CBR speedo gear gets in the way or can be removed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

It was common to use the 17" 4th Gen front wheel on period Blades. Straight swap. 

I don't know with absolute certainty but I do believe the 3Rd Gen front wheel is exactly the same in the critical dimensions (axle ∅ and spacers).

It was common to use the 17" 4th Gen front wheel on period Blades. Straight swap. 

I don't know with absolute certainty but I do believe the 3Rd Gen front wheel is exactly the same in the critical dimensions (axle ∅ and spacers).
Thanks! Can't wait to give it a shot!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Did the first 900RRS have a speedo cable drive on the front wheel?  Later ones didn't, and neither did the 3rd gen and later VFRs.  Might not make a difference, but it could...maybe...depending on how old the 900RR forks are.  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Leon... I couldn't really tell from the 'fiche if the forks were different, given the change in 1994, but the best bet would be to stick with the later forks *just in case*.

Oh, and since nobody's mentioned it, CBR900RR forks are quite a bit shorter than VFR750 forks.  Maybe too much.  You'll also need 900RR triple clamps, which have a shallower offset, which will affect the bike's handling.  I don't recall the fork spacing off-hand, but I would expect that the front mudguard will also have to be bracket-bodged or replaced.  And the brakes will be different and require a larger master cylinder, IIRC.  Did I mention that your clip-ons will also need to be replaced, but with something like Heli-bars, because 900RR clip-ons are low-rise and mount underneath the top triple clamp?  Because the forks are so short, you won't have any room above the triples, so your clip-ons will have to be a lot longer just to get back to OEM VFR height.  Expensive upgrades are available.  There's a reason (several, actually!) why the 900RR is not a common fork swap on a VFR.

Ciao,

• 1 month later...

I have a 94-> 16" CBR900RR front wheel (rim + discs), but never did try it during the time I had my 3rd gen, even it did cross my mind........

Archived