Smells fuel rich at idle, 95 VFR750F

• Member Contributer

When pulled up at a light I am getting a fuel rich smell from my bike.

It runs fantastic, idle very nicely @ 1500-1700 RPM, starts right up with a very short time on the choke and pulls right through the gears without the slightest hitch...so where do you think the extra fuel is coming from?

MPG is way better than I would have thought, always +200 miles to a tank

Any thoughts appreciated

20 minutes ago, bykemike said:

When pulled up at a light I am getting a fuel rich smell from my bike.

It runs fantastic, idle very nicely @ 1500-1700 RPM, starts right up with a very short time on the choke and pulls right through the gears without the slightest hitch...so where do you think the extra fuel is coming from?

MPG is way better than I would have thought, always +200 miles to a tank

Any thoughts appreciated

All my V4's AND my Triumph 900 Triple with the same carbs have smelled somewhat rich at idle and that is normal. In your case the idle is way too high so I wonder if your choke/enrichment circuit is fully releasing when the choke lever is off. See if you can push the choke plungers any further in with your finger when the lever is off. If they go in a bit and your idle speed drops closer to normal then that's where to focus.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Member Contributer

Thanks Guys, I have suspected my choke (enrichner) circuit wasn't all the way off, I will check that, I need to check my idle mixture adjustment..I just can't find them yet.

I was not aware my idle was in the way high category , I felt it was up just a bit (I did this by turning the adjustment under the tank edge) I will check the items and adjust it.

Thanks again

All vfr's smell rich at idle... Even my injected 2001 5th gen smells like dropping fuel on the exhaust when cold... Gets better if the bike is hot... But anyway mine uses the lambda plugs to run efficiently from 3000 rpm onwards, so its ok if its rich at idle.
If you are getting good mpg i wouldnt worry too much about a rich iddle.

On 9/5/2017 at 1:14 PM, bykemike said:

where to I find the idle mixture screws on a 95?

look in the FSM, and if you don't have one, download it.  to move the screw you'll need to carefully scribe a groove into the head so a screwdriver fits........or find the proper D-shaped tool.  you can do alot of damage to the screw head if things go wrong, so use the PROPER TOOL. :unsure:

looking at the plug colors will give better info than using your nose.

• Member Contributer

I almost don't want to mess with them given your last statement,  I have done all the plugs on this engine recently (2k miles ago) and they are text book light tending to medium brown  and it runs, once again,

perfect (except for, I was told, a high idle, which I have turned down using the adjuster knob on the left side of the bike) and is a joy to drive.

• Member Contributer

All my bikes smell rich, but all my recent car experience includes a catalyser in the exhaust so the comparison is not really valid. 

7 hours ago, bykemike said:

I almost don't want to mess with them given your last statement,  I have done all the plugs on this engine recently (2k miles ago) and they are text book light tending to medium brown  and it runs, once again,

perfect (except for, I was told, a high idle, which I have turned down using the adjuster knob on the left side of the bike) and is a joy to drive.

Given this info, I would not touch a thing. Enjoy!!!!

• Member Contributer

+1

One last check could be to feel if alk 4 headers get hot.

I once (in a hurry) omitted to put the the front right spark lead on the plug completely.

While she did do 200kmh on 3 cilinders she did smell a bit rich yes.... :goofy:

There is a photo somewhere of the moment I found out.... Right Bert?

• Member Contributer

I have decided to embrace the rich smell, kind of an old school thing, the carbs, the choke all that stuff I have been away from for so many years.

I have noticed on this forum I hardly hear anything about the Hall Effect sensor malfunctioning

. This is not all bad :)

thanks for the input, I am in the ride and enjoy mode as soon as Irma GTF outta here

Archived