Chain replacement question

madmdx

Hi all, just wanted to ask; when replacing the chain, do I have to connect the chain links with the chain on the sprockets or can it be done off the bike and then just put it on the sprockets and bolt them on all together? 

The reason I am asking is because I dont have the tool and I'm thinking ill just pay a shop to link the chain and then I can complete the install myself.

Thanks a lot (I searched but didn't find an answer to this)

• Member Contributer

No, I don't believe so but someone may have tried it successfully.

• Member Contributer

It only works with 5 gens and only if you invert the rear set/swing arm bolt. Meaning removing it from the left side and insert it on the right side. This will allow the removal of the nut and left rear set giving access to the sprocket. 

• Member Contributer

I have done that on my 5G, IIRC I used a big long screwdriver to push the swingarm pivot bolt out and  hold the swingarm roughly in place. I also supported the wheel so that it there was little weight on the swingram pivot while I was working. I also did the same on my VTR1000.

I see on the inferior 6G that the centrestand  subframe would stop you from doing this.:cool:

• Member Contributer
53 minutes ago, Terry said:

I see on the inferior 6G that the centrestand  subframe would stop you from doing this.:cool:

I like that, I didn't see you as a competitive person involved in bike politics Terry. :beer:

Archived