Honda VFR 1200 Akroprovic Exaust Flapper siezed

scottjosnic

Hello All

New member to this forum.

Quick Intro

Have 1014 VFR 1200 from new with 30,000 kms on her now.

Absolutely love this bike and ticks all the boxes for me. 

Seeking advise:

I recently purchased a Akroprovic CF exhaust second hand and when I went to install the exhaust I noted that the exhaust flap on the unit is extremely tight to turn.

So much so that the spring does not return the valve to the close position.

I removed the spring arrangement and have been trying to loosen the valve but it still remain hard to open or close.

My questions are as follow and hopefully some one can help me with these

Does any one have any ideas as to how to free this up to get the valve spring operational?

Is it necessary to have this valve operational or can I just leave it in the open position and the cable disconnected?

Thanking you

• Member Contributer

Rip that sucker out! (And remove the cable to avoid an annoying status light on the dash)

It will run and sound great without it, but passing noise/emissions mandates at inspection may prove difficult in some locales.

disconnect and remove the cable....leave the servo connected to wiring harness....it will spin harmlessly....if you really want to remove the servo, the Guhl reflash eliminates the codes

Hello All

Thanks for your comments.

My plan for this weekend.

With the above advise I will install the pipe with the valve open.

Remove the servo cable and leave the servo intact.

And test ride as I am excited to hear the difference.

With the above works carried am to assume that no damage can be caused to the motor?

I am mechanical capable of carrying out the works above but my knowledge of motors is ZIP.

I will posts results on Monday thanking you for your information'

Cheers

ScottJosNic

• Member Contributer
On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, lshark said:

disconnect and remove the cable....leave the servo connected to wiring harness....it will spin harmlessly....if you really want to remove the servo, the Guhl reflash eliminates the codes

This is what I did with mine when I fitted the DAM end can.

Hello All

Sorry about late reply we have started house renos now I am a slave to the house till finished. At the painting stage now but that takes soooo much time.

Got out last weekend for a small rise around the north side of Sydney (West Head) yea really love the sound and looks.

I have my fairing all stripped of so she look very nakid. I have been trying to find a rattle that occurs  when low reves at about 60 kms p/h.

I should not have got excited and put the muffler on until found the rattle. I will keep trying to find the rattle seem it may have been in the stock muffler but now now I cant confirm that unless I put the muffler back on. Has any one else experienced the problem. I have mentioned it whilst getting serviced and the warranty period but they all said they could not here it. Now the bike out of warranty and I am away for two weeks to Tassie I want to see if I can locate source.

I will put fairings back on sand see what happens

Thanking all for your comments

IMG_8902.JPG

IMG_8903.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

Archived