New VFR Owner - Hi and a few Questions

2015vfr

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ohlias said:

What's and exhaust cover? Don't bother with the OEM exhaust, it's heavy, large and doesn't sound nice at all. Pick up and aftermarket...

Its a little plastic slider that clamps around the exhaust so if you drop the bike the exhaust doesnt get all scraped up

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 2015vfr said:

Here she is! Picked her up last night. Still waiting on the luggage, should arrive by early next week.

Now if only the temps could drop a little, it was still in the high 90s when i got home at 8pm

20170830_185931_1504146686608.jpg

Wow - she's a beauty!

Hey Temple City Powersports?  Looks good!   :D    Dude, it's been HOT and muggy (I know, not like AZ/TX hot, but still...  haha) !  I think it's like 100 in the shade right now...  :o

40 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

Hey Temple City Powersports?  Looks good!   :D    Dude, it's been HOT and muggy (I know, not like AZ/TX hot, but still...  haha) !  I think it's like 100 in the shade right now...  :o

Yup Temple City, the price was a lot better than glendale and they had it in white :)

It is miserable outside, even at night time. I just want to go ride without getting drenched in sweat

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 2015vfr said:

Yup Temple City, the price was a lot better than glendale and they had it in white :)

It is miserable outside, even at night time. I just want to go ride without getting drenched in sweat

If you're moving, the sweat actually cools you off. Natural evaporate cooling, who would have thought. This is really when lane splitting really comes in handy in So Cal!

BTW, congrats, I definitely would have gone with the white 8 Gen had I went shopping for a new 8 Gen.

3 hours ago, 2015vfr said:

I just want to go ride without getting drenched in sweat

Congrats on the bike. Looks like it will be a few days for your wish to happen.

It's the most unpleasant time, of the year. :wacko:

I used to have a couple of Cooldannas back in the day - maybe I'll dig around and try to find one...  Recent reviews have been widely divergent so I wonder if quality control got worse over the years?

Yes, but while I wait for the weather I have a few questions.

Anybody who got the factory 12v outlet, do you have a picture of it and the wire routing?

Also, what are all the little indentations under the rear seat for?

Is it supposed to have something to tie the toolkit down with?

And is it normal for the battery tender cable (thats what it looks like) to stick out from under the front seat?

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, 2015vfr said:

Anybody who got the factory 12v outlet, do you have a picture of it and the wire routing?

And is it normal for the battery tender cable (thats what it looks like) to stick out from under the front seat?

Although mine is the 800X, it should be the same underneath. I'll go take a pic in a moment after I've had my breakfast!

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I was wrong. My outlet is not OEM but an Oxford Products one that I fitted.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, 2015vfr said:

20170831_220000.jpg

20170831_215938.jpg

^^^^^  In this pic the tool kit sits on top of the sticker, then the Honda U wheel lock sits length way around the tool kit, there should be a push in plastic clip to hold a big rubber band on either side, you can see one hole in the pic on the left

That looks like the factory 12v power outlet on the right

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, 2015vfr said:

It just depends where they put the battery tender. 

I make up harnesses that simply plug plug into the existing harness for you to fit your accessories. 

Yes ex you should have a rubber type o ring and2 clips instructions are in owners manual. 

IMG_1774.JPG

• Member Contributer

Powersports Honda if you look at the accessories section for the vfr you will see the accessory socket and be able to download the instructions

Thanks guys, looks like I'm missing the rubber strap to hold the toolkit down. I'll contact the dealership today. They also didn't tighten down the brackets correctly when they installed the power outlet so I had to get that fixed up. Otherwise it looks like it was installed per the instructions.

Does anybody have a comparison between huntingguns ram mount and the fork tube kit that ram offers? It looks like hunting guns uses two hard pieces that slide against each other, while the RAM mount uses an expanding rubber piece? Any advantage of one over the other?

Went on an early morning ride today before it started getting really hot. You can see the city off in the distance through the smog.

20170901_090100.jpg

20170901_084750.jpg

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, 2015vfr said:

Thanks guys, looks like I'm missing the rubber strap to hold the toolkit down. I'll contact the dealership today. They also didn't tighten down the brackets correctly when they installed the power outlet so I had to get that fixed up. Otherwise it looks like it was installed per the instructions.

Does anybody have a comparison between huntingguns ram mount and the fork tube kit that ram offers? It looks like hunting guns uses two hard pieces that slide against each other, while the RAM mount uses an expanding rubber piece? Any advantage of one over the other?

Went on an early morning ride today before it started getting really hot. You can see the city off in the distance through the smog.

20170901_090100.jpg

20170901_084750.jpg

Hi 2015, and welcome. Regarding the rubber band that holds down your toolkit, I used Gear Ties in the link below to replace mine when it broke. They're inexpensive and come in a variety of colors and lengths. I find the Gear Tie easier to use than the OEM rubber . If you give it a try, be sure to get one long enough that you have leftover length to 'twist tie' it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-18-in-Gear-Tie-in-Black-2-Pack-GT18-2PK-01/203210714

On 9/1/2017 at 9:20 PM, sfdownhill said:

Hi 2015, and welcome. Regarding the rubber band that holds down your toolkit, I used Gear Ties in the link below to replace mine when it broke. They're inexpensive and come in a variety of colors and lengths. I find the Gear Tie easier to use than the OEM rubber . If you give it a try, be sure to get one long enough that you have leftover length to 'twist tie' it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-18-in-Gear-Tie-in-Black-2-Pack-GT18-2PK-01/203210714

I like this, I'm going to keep this in mj d when the rubber breaks or gets lost. The dealer is getting me that part next week.

On 9/2/2017 at 11:43 AM, fatshoutybloke said:

What Ohlias said, don't bother protecting the standard can, replace it. The 'dents' are attachment points for the Honda side cases.

I'm going to keep the standard can for a while to keep the bike as quiet as possible, although I really like the look of the exhaust on the pink bike thelonereader posted.

Is there a big difference in the tank on the 5th or 6th gen vs 8th gen? I want to get the techspec snakeskin but they don't have a stock cut for the 8th gen VFR. I like the look of the EaziGrip but the techspec gets better grip reviews. I'm not sure I trust myself to cut them properly from the bulk sheets.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/techspec-snake-skin-tank-pads-honda-vfr800-1998-2007?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-u-JzMeP1gIVnEsNCh2eBgFNEAQYASABEgJFQ_D_BwE

http://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/honda/honda-vfr-800-snake-skin-tank-grip-pads.html

• Member Contributer

I've got EZ grip on my tank and it's great stuff, tech reports IMHE are usually done by people who aren't paying or living with what they test

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joepopp said:

Did you get Speed Bleeders yet? Part numbers? 

Congrats on the new bike! Just got mine too! 

Joe, the below is an email exchange with SpeedBleeders - I've received mine (2 of each part number) but haven't put them on yet.  If you have a 2002 / 6th gen, I don't know if the parts/numbers will be the same for you...

From: Speed Bleeder Products <speedbleeder@earthlink.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:24 PM
Subject: RE: assistance please

The size(s) for your application is as follows:

Front……SB7100S quantity 2, 1 for each caliper

Rear…….SB8125L quantity 1

Clutch….SB8125L

The steel bleeders are $7each, 5 would be $35 and the stainless steel bleeders are $15 each, 5 would be $75.  S&H is $5.95

When ordering Speed Bleeder, consider also ordering the Bag and Hose Combo.  The bag is like an IV bag.  It comes with 30 inches of silicone hose.  When one end of the hose is attached to the bag and the other end is attached to the Speed Bleeder, it makes the messy job of bleeding brakes neat and clean.  The hose and bag are reusable.

Speed Bleeder is also available in 303 Stainless Steel.  The stainless steel bleeder will never rust or corrode and is polished to a brilliant gloss for the custom look.  To order the stainless steel version go to www.speedbleeder.com click on “Secure Ordering” at the top of the order page you will see a selection “Stainless Steel”.  Click on this heading and all the sizes available in stainless steel will drop down.

sbani.gif
www.speedbleeder.com
Introducing the Speed Bleeder! The patented automotive bleeder screw with a built-in check valve. It is truley a one-man bleeder screw for bleeding brakes and ...

Thanks,

Whitney

Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 6:53 PM
To: speedbleeder@earthlink.net
Subject: assistance please

Hi Sir/Ma'am,

I have a 2015 Honda VFR800 Deluxe Interceptor (w/ ABS and Tokico brakes). 

Could you tell me how many and which models of Speed Bleeders I would need to order to convert my bike all the way around (fr/rr brakes & clutch) and how much that would be total?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Joe, the below is an email exchange with SpeedBleeders - I've received mine (2 of each part number) but haven't put them on yet.  If you have a 2002 / 6th gen, I don't know if the parts/numbers will be the same for you...

From: Speed Bleeder Products <speedbleeder@earthlink.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:24 PM
Subject: RE: assistance please

The size(s) for your application is as follows:

Front……SB7100S quantity 2, 1 for each caliper

Rear…….SB8125L quantity 1

Clutch….SB8125L

The steel bleeders are $7each, 5 would be $35 and the stainless steel bleeders are $15 each, 5 would be $75.  S&H is $5.95

When ordering Speed Bleeder, consider also ordering the Bag and Hose Combo.  The bag is like an IV bag.  It comes with 30 inches of silicone hose.  When one end of the hose is attached to the bag and the other end is attached to the Speed Bleeder, it makes the messy job of bleeding brakes neat and clean.  The hose and bag are reusable.

Speed Bleeder is also available in 303 Stainless Steel.  The stainless steel bleeder will never rust or corrode and is polished to a brilliant gloss for the custom look.  To order the stainless steel version go to www.speedbleeder.com click on “Secure Ordering” at the top of the order page you will see a selection “Stainless Steel”.  Click on this heading and all the sizes available in stainless steel will drop down.

sbani.gif
www.speedbleeder.com
Introducing the Speed Bleeder! The patented automotive bleeder screw with a built-in check valve. It is truley a one-man bleeder screw for bleeding brakes and ...

Thanks,

Whitney

Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 6:53 PM
To: speedbleeder@earthlink.net
Subject: assistance please

Hi Sir/Ma'am,

I have a 2015 Honda VFR800 Deluxe Interceptor (w/ ABS and Tokico brakes). 

Could you tell me how many and which models of Speed Bleeders I would need to order to convert my bike all the way around (fr/rr brakes & clutch) and how much that would be total?

Thanks!

Thank you so much Samuelx! I have a 2002 which I am selling but was inquiring about the 8th Gen. I am pretty sure these are the same part numbers for the Non-ABS. Maybe not...

Archived