Stolen, Hotwired, Crashed, Recovered, and now no lights or dash

Jordan

My 2002 was stolen in Feb and was hotwired, crashed and then recovered.  I have since purchased an Africa Twin so most of my time and money has gone into that. Now that I have some spare time to mess around with the VFR and turn it into some sort of rat bike.

In the meantime, I have no dash (clock is working) and no lights.  The bike starts and runs fine, however i keep blowing the third fuse for the illumination. I know one wire was disconnected from one of the headlight connectors, so I tried to reconnect that and then after that failed, I connected the two wires together with no luck. I've stripped every heat shield and cut every piece of electrical tape on the front end with loose wires everywhere. I haven't yet attacked the back of the bike, but I know they did some damage there too.

Any advice?

Found the short on the rear which stopped the fuse from breaking.  Dash works, brake lights work, front headlights still do not work.  More work to do tonight. Hopefully this will turn into some sort of streetfighter/rat bike project in the future.

• Member Contributer

Just be aware that a starter switch that doesn't fully retract once pressed will inhibit your headlights. I've had this happen, a squirt of WD40 and some good exercising of the switch fixed the issue. Have you got a circuit diagram for your bike? The headlight wiring is fairly simple to follow through with a multimeter. Good luck

I'll spray some wd40 in it asap.

I plan on eliminating a lot of the wires up front as much as possible.  I posted on VFRWorld but I wanted to get some advice here too.  Which wires can I cut up front so that the bike will still run?  I plan on putting in an aftermarket light system.  I might hardwire it to the battery but not 100% yet.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Jordan said:

I'll spray some wd40 in it asap.

I plan on eliminating a lot of the wires up front as much as possible.  I posted on VFRWorld but I wanted to get some advice here too.  Which wires can I cut up front so that the bike will still run?  I plan on putting in an aftermarket light system.  I might hardwire it to the battery but not 100% yet.

Why are you planning on butchering your bike? Why not just fix what's not working? Doesn't make sense to me. Why go to the trouble of wiring in an after market lighting system?????

The thief stripped it before he crashed it.

He took my Givi racks and rear case, passenger pegs and handles, givi touring windscreen, side fairings.  He crashed it and damaged the front fairing to where it was barely hanging on, front fender was broken as well.  He rattle canned the entire bike, and he hotwired it.  The bike has 70k miles on it, a salvage title due to a lady tipping it over a few years ago, and some bent forks... and I have a pretty 2017 Africa Twin next to it.  

I loved this bike, and am glad that I got it back, but she can't be a reliable sport touring bike anymore, so why not turn it into a project bike.

• Member Contributer

That's a sad story about your VFR, hope you can salvage something from it and maybe get her up and running again. Good Luck.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

We give them a piece of our heart don't we! Seb's builds may give you some inspiration.....
Justice system really needs to go back to an 'eye for an eye punishment!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Archived